Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2018, 10:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Do You Use a VPN?

With the time spent on the road requiring many to use online banking, pharmacies, shopping, etc... do you use a virtual private network to protect your privacy, personal and financial information, etc...?

Just curious what others are doing. I use NordVPN. Easy to configure, reasonably priced, does not add much to latency. Anything I have that connects to,the internet goes through the VPN.

What is a VPN
https://nordvpn.com/what-is-a-vpn/?m...SA%20-%20Brand
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 10:49 PM   #2

i use my cellular hotspot.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:48 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i use my cellular hotspot.
Hotspots can connect to the internet through a VPN. The VPN encrypts the data you send through the internet i.e credit card numbers, bank account numbers, medical info, etc... so they can't be mined by others.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:05 AM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
VPN Ads

More scare tactics. The boogeyman is everywhere. Just pay us $60 per year then everything will be ok.

RIIIIIGGHHTTT...........
Old 05-26-2018, 01:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excesses View Post
More scare tactics. The boogeyman is everywhere. Just pay us $60 per year then everything will be ok.

RIIIIIGGHHTTT...........
Not trying to sell anyone anything or scare anyone, I just asked a question.

No need for your sarcasm, if its not for you then its not for you.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Hotspots can connect to the internet through a VPN. The VPN encrypts the data you send through the internet i.e credit card numbers, bank account numbers, medical info, etc... so they can't be mined by others.
i understand that. i believe cell data is very secure whereas i know nothing about who is behind the VPN purveyors.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:44 AM   #7

I use one. Not for banking so much, as that's a secure connection anyway. More just to shake off the tracking busybodies at Facebook and Google.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:00 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
I use one. Not for banking so much, as that's a secure connection anyway. More just to shake off the tracking busybodies at Facebook and Google.
I use almost any place I go on the net, no need for my isp to know where I go
Old 05-26-2018, 05:17 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
Facebook and Google know all about you as soon as you log into them, so a VPN makes no difference at all in that regard. What the VPN does is stop a third party from jumping in between you and the site you are logged into to view, monitor or steal your internet traffic.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:33 AM   #10

VPNs are only secure if YOU control both VPN endpoints. On a purchased service, you don't control the far endpoint. Therefore, there is no added security or value. It sounds as if it improves security, but it doesn't.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:36 AM   #11
Commercial Member

As long as your bank or financial transactions are thru a browser HTTPS supported web interface, all data is encrypted and secure. No need for yet another layer.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
VPNs are only secure if YOU control both VPN endpoints. On a purchased service, you don't control the far endpoint. Therefore, there is no added security or value. It sounds as if it improves security, but it doesn't.
Disagree, unless you know for sure the server I use at the end point is not secure or is stealing my data. Any security is only as strong as the weakest point but how can you say with certainty that that is the case here.

NordVPN received great reviews from PC Magazine
Old 05-26-2018, 06:06 AM   #13

Since your ISP is now allowed to track your activity and sell the data a VPN is worth considering just to foil them.

Places like RV Resorts are a target rich environment. Lots of people with money moving through who need to use an internet connection. Chances are they won't even know where they were hacked.

If you think cell towers are secure you are probably correct. The problem is that intercepting cell calls for a man in the middle attack is old tech. See the above comment.

All security is vulnerable so it becomes a cost/benefit ratio issue. The bear gets the slowest runner. The hacker gets the easiest targets. Some folks like to run naked, some wear a belt and suspenders. Pick your choices and go.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:31 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I'm snowbirding, I still stay connected with my work via a CiscoVPN tunnel.. We have a hard locked down network and this is how I work for three months out of the year..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote