Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #1

Does anyone stream TV using an iPhone hot spot

Data rates, etc. aside, we were told by Verizon that using the phone as a hot spot for much more than email will destroy the iPhone. Does anyone do this or have the technical logic behind this dire warning?

I am thinking it is heat and/or battery related.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Whoever said that was clueless.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I use a iPhone 7 Plus with hotspot turned on to watch TV on a 46" HDTV via a Amazon Fire TV stick plugged into an HDMI port on the TV. Works great. Also works great on my iPhone and on my Tablet. I have Visible cell service. Visible is a Verizon no-contract pre-paid brand that offers voice, data, text services for a flat price of $ 40 per month. It gets Verizon LTE service everywhere a Verizon branded postpaid phone does.

When WiFi hotspot is turned on the speed is limited to 5 megabits per second, speed is unlimited with hotspot turned off. The Amazon Fire TV stick seems to work fine with the 5 megabit per second speed. There is no data cap so I have used over 50 Gigabytes per month and still be able to watch TV even late in the monthly bill cycle without any problems.

Check it out at Visible.com. If you use referral code vBF6q you and I save an extra $ 20.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Data rates, etc. aside, we were told by Verizon that using the phone as a hot spot for much more than email will destroy the iPhone. Does anyone do this or have the technical logic behind this dire warning?

Verizon is feeding you a load of BS! Apple would never allow anything on the iPhone that would destroy it. The hotspot function is part of the operating system from Apple. Verizon is just trying to get you to buy a hotspot from
them!

You can use the hotspot feature of the iPhone to stream to your hearts content or until you run out of LTE data, then you'll get throttled to 600kbps. That is if you have unlimited data.
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #5

All the time.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
Verizon is feeding you a load of BS! Apple would never allow anything on the iPhone that would destroy it. The hotspot function is part of the operating system from Apple. Verizon is just trying to get you to buy a hotspot from

them!

They were in fact trying to get me to add one of their hotspot devices. I was upgrading to the iPhone XR and just couldn’t believe it would kill the phone or it would be all over the news and internet.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:33 AM   #7

I "hot-spot" stream using my iPhone, my wife's iPhone and my iPad - for a total of 45 Gb per billing cycle. I can stream with my Amazon FireTV on our 58" living room TV in our Cardinal...or on my 32" bedroom TV.

It's never been a problem for me or my iPhones/iPad.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:00 AM   #8
EJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBurt View Post
All the time.
X2 - We stream all the time to laptops, TV's, etc using our hotspots. And I use mine a ton for work.

iPhones are fine. Never break a sweat.

I, however, wonder if my kids are fine after listening to the stuff they stream. I just don't get these "reality" shows on YouTube.

Edwin
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
I have Visible cell service. Visible is a Verizon no-contract pre-paid brand that offers voice, data, text services for a flat price of $ 40 per month. It gets Verizon LTE service everywhere a Verizon branded postpaid phone does.

When WiFi hotspot is turned on the speed is limited to 5 megabits per second
I also have Visible and it is working great. Visible recently dropped the speed cap for a "limited time". Quote from Visible site:
"Unlimited data, messages, and minutes all on Verizon’s 4G LTE Network. Plus, for a limited time, we’ve removed our speed cap - free for as long as you remain a member."
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post

That is right near the top of the list of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I use mine all the time and no issues for several years. It does run the battery down faster but I just leave the phone plugged in.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a iPhone 8, we use the hotspot all the time to watch Netflix/Amazon etc. Works great!
Old 07-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #12

That was a lie in an attempt to sell you another device and an additional line of service. Had it tried on me too.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #13

It could kill the battery or make the battery swell if the phone gets too hot too often. Look in the owners manual to see what the operating temperature range is and be keep it in range. My phone gets very hot. Over 110F, especially when it is in a cradle with a booster. I use a computer fan to blow air on it and then it stays at ambient temps.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
It could kill the battery or make the battery swell if the phone gets too hot too often. Look in the owners manual to see what the operating temperature range is and be keep it in range. My phone gets very hot. Over 110F, especially when it is in a cradle with a booster. I use a computer fan to blow air on it and then it stays at ambient temps.

Good information, will look at a fan cradle for this usage.