RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #1

Doing some nerding out

Hey Guys:

Just wanted to throw something together here as I have a few technical projects that I am about to embark on.

The first project is laying down the ground work and adding a small enhancement known as an access point.

My current mobile internet setup consists of a pepwave mini br1 router with 2x external Omni-directional antennas connected through 2x Wilson signal boosters. A 5 port POE switch is attached to the pepwave. This POE switch is part of the ďlaying the ground workĒ stage. Coming from this switch is the access point.

I work remotely doing IT so being plugged in is a priority for me.

The reason I went with an external access point instead of using the built in wireless of the pepwave is range. I got the ubiquiti AC Pro LR access point and it does not disappoint. With the built in WiFi of the pepwave I would be lucky to get WiFi access right outside of the rig. Now with the access point, I can be 80 ft away and still get excellent signal.

As I said, this is just the first of a few projects. The other projects will have to deal with Raspberry PIís. I am going to do a Victron CCGX PI implementation with the touchscreen. The other project is still up in the air but I am leaning towards some kind of media center.

I would love to hear if you guys did anything with a Raspberry Pi on your rigs.

Thanks
Alex

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1136.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	252974

Name:	IMG_1137.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	252975

Shiba_Alex is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #2

Which model Wilson booster do you use?

Old 07-11-2019, 11:53 PM   #3

Itís the Wilson Pro Signal 4G.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:57 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Alex-

1) We have a Raspberry Pi to run the "pi-hole" advertising blocker application. The aim is to cut down on traffic over the (in our case, metered) cell service. The Pi is a model Zero W.
2) You may be able to replace some/all of the "wall wart" power supplies with 12V from the house batteries. Our electronics cabinet has five devices and no wall warts.
3) For the Pi, I bought a 4-port 12V USB power supply. It also supplies the USB-powered vent fans.
4) Speaking of which, you should consider ventilating the electronics cabinet.
5) We don't run a media server per se. However, we do have a file server. It is a Gigabyte "BRIX." We back up devices to the server, then back it up with a set of external drives, used on a weekly rotating schedule. The BRIX is also 12V.

I'm surprised your PepWave did not have the range you want. Our PepWave Surf SOHOs (we've had both V1 and V3 models) has worked well in that regard. They are lower-end models than the one you have.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:29 AM   #5

That is what I thought it was, I have the same unit.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #6

Thanks l1v3fr33ord1.

I was thinking about the pi-hole software. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan from Verizon but would probably still appreciate the blocking it would do.

I was thinking about using hardwired connections for the equipment. All of them except for the POE switch would be capable of doing that.

I have noticed that sometimes the cabinet does get a little warm. Iíll have to see about venting it.

Today I want to get the Victron software installed and tested on the display. Iím still debating on how I want to mount the display to the wall. Iíd like it to be as flush as possible. I was thinking vhb tape around the edges but I know that would be pretty permanent.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #7

After a few hours of configuring and not reading directions, I finally got the raspberry pi CCGX installed and configured. It looks really awesome and canít wait to get it permanently installed.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	372.3 KB
ID:	253001
Old 07-13-2019, 05:29 PM   #8

Another fun filled day. I got all of the cables run for the two piís. The Victron pi will go above the factory control panel and the other pi will go on a wall facing the living room and kitchen. Iím leaning towards a music streaming setup for the other pi but Iím not having the best time finding a software that will work.

Iím still waiting on the POE injectors for the piís. Once I get those in, I will cut and mount.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:16 AM   #9

Slight change of plans. The POE cards that I bought are probably not going to show up soon so I cancelled that order and ordered the POE microusb injectors. I also found a streaming music software that I can use on the other pi. I really like the layout. More details to follow once I get the injectors.

Name:	IMG_1145.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	253215
Old 07-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #10

Here is another picture with a song playing.

Name:	IMG_1146.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	424.3 KB
ID:	253217
Old 07-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #11

My older Pepwave Surf OnThe Go broadcasts to sites around me, generating inquiries. Only good friends get to share.
That will become backup as I now have an Entel hot spot and a GL-iNet AR750 router. The Pepwave has always been a pain for the admin connection. I also have a Ubiquiti radio with Air Cube for the rare unicorn of good CG Wi-Fi or for mooch docking at at friend's with cable.
Oddly, the first time I tried to connect Ubiquiti to a cable modem, it was not an option (grayed out). I suspected the company modem had a way to reject it. When I saw her cable invoice, she was paying $7 rent. We bought a cable modem off Amazon and installed it. I did have to get Xfinity to provision it and the Ubiquiti could now join the network and she saves $84 a year.
The OP setup is in my dreams. LOL
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #12

I use a Pi 3-B connected to a 4TB USB hard drive for my video media center. The OS is LibreELEC which is tuned for running Kodi. My TV supports HDMI CEC which allows you to use the TV remote for controlling Kodi. If you are thinking of purchasing the Pi 4, hold off a bit. Supposedly they messed up the Type C USB power connector and can't use some power adapters.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #13

I was originally going to get the 4 but they were all sold out locally. Iím going to give it a few months and wait for the bugs to get ironed out and software become available.

Nothing new today on the install front. It looks like the software that I was testing for the music will do just fine. I am going to be using Volumio. There is a Bluetooth plugin that you can get to stream to Bluetooth devices. Figured that would be easier to do than to cut holes in the ceiling and mount speakers.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiba_Alex View Post
Hey Guys:

Just wanted to throw something together here as I have a few technical projects that I am about to embark on.

The first project is laying down the ground work and adding a small enhancement known as an access point.

My current mobile internet setup consists of a pepwave mini br1 router with 2x external Omni-directional antennas connected through 2x Wilson signal boosters. A 5 port POE switch is attached to the pepwave. This POE switch is part of the ďlaying the ground workĒ stage. Coming from this switch is the access point.

I work remotely doing IT so being plugged in is a priority for me.

The reason I went with an external access point instead of using the built in wireless of the pepwave is range. I got the ubiquiti AC Pro LR access point and it does not disappoint. With the built in WiFi of the pepwave I would be lucky to get WiFi access right outside of the rig. Now with the access point, I can be 80 ft away and still get excellent signal.

As I said, this is just the first of a few projects. The other projects will have to deal with Raspberry PIís. I am going to do a Victron CCGX PI implementation with the touchscreen. The other project is still up in the air but I am leaning towards some kind of media center.

I would love to hear if you guys did anything with a Raspberry Pi on your rigs.

Thanks
Alex

Attachment 252974
Attachment 252975

Can you tell me what type (LM-200/240/400 etc) cable you used and how long the run is to bring your omni directional antenna signal to the booster? And how far apart are your antennas? Did you need or use a ground plane?

I am contemplating if I want to put directional antennas on top of our rig which makes setup more difficult as they would need to be pointed each time we move or go with omni's, but the issue is that the cable length may nearly negate all the signal gain you get from something rooftop with the omni's.