RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #1

DPH-42, Hopper3, and Portable Dish

I have the DPH-42 and Hopper3 with 2 Joey2s hooked up and working great with my Wineguard Traveler. Now I'm ready to add a portable dish to move around when parked under the trees. I know the RV Senior Moments blog shows this done with the tripod 3LNB model portable. Has anyone attempted to try one of the domed portables such as playmaker or pathway?

wade5979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

not sure that they're compatible with the Hopper or Joey, only the Wally...

but check DISH's website for compatibility for each type of 'portable' single LNB antenna

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #3

Dish and Wineguard will tell you the hopper3 won't work with traveler but it does with the DPH-42 switch just haven't seen any 3rd party info on the portables with this set up
wade5979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:11 AM   #4

We had a Pathways unit and it worked really well with a Wally. THE PROBLEM is that it has a single DPM and moves the dish to switch satellites. The Hopper is a great receiver, but it uses three antennas to feed the receiver. They are the little "horns" in front of the reflector. The Hopper does not have a power feed to move an automatic dish to re-aim when you change sats.

The auto dish just will not work with a Hopper. Even if it did it would be a problem, because the sixteen DVRs in the Hopper 3 would get its programs messed up when the dish moved and "Days of Our Lives" switched over to "The Bachelor" right in the middle (oh! the horror!).

Anyway Dish will not allow a Hopper to be active on the same account as a Wally. I tried. I didn't know then just why, but now I do.

Your best answer is to set up a manual dish for emergencies, and get the right DPH to serve your Hopper.

Search this forum for a company called TV4RV (I think I got that right) they have good stuff to make the setups easier.

HTH,

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hopper and portable automatic antenna of today won't work together. A residential style manual home antenna will, but can be a hassle to transport and setup.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
Anyway Dish will not allow a Hopper to be active on the same account as a Wally. I tried. I didn't know then just why, but now I do.

Tom
I have Hopper in the Sticks and Bricks and two Wally in the motorhome - on the same account. Used to be Dish would not allow multiple Hopper units unless interconnected on same account - but changed and now do so.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Your best answer is to set up a manual dish for emergencies, and get the right DPH to serve your Hopper.
With a Hopper 3, your best bet is to use the DPP (Dish Pro Plus) LNBF that came with your Winegard Travler. Then use a DPH (Dish Pro Hybrid LNBF) with a portable tripod, like so:

You use a DPH with a tripod so you only have to run one cable back to your RV.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Maybe this used to be the case, but I have a Hopper 3 (which replaced an original Hopper) and three Joeys in our house, plus I have two Wallies on the same account. I keep them connected at home to a separate antenna so they don't have to be re-activated when I move them to the motor home. I had them on the same antenna with the original Hopper, but when we switched to the Hopper 3 the new LNB wouldn't support a separate feed.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:42 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Maybe this used to be the case, but I have a Hopper 3 (which replaced an original Hopper) and three Joeys in our house, plus I have two Wallies on the same account. I keep them connected at home to a separate antenna so they don't have to be re-activated when I move them to the motorhome. I had them on the same antenna with the original Hopper, but when we switched to the Hopper 3 the new LNB wouldn't support a separate feed.
I also have the Hooper 3 at home with 1 Joey and 2 Wallys in my coach. Every time I would call to re-activate I would be told that the Wallys would not work on a Hooper 3 dish and that was my problem, not activation. Lot of the time it would take a supervisor to done.
Now to re-activate you can download the My Dish app and go to the Outdoor section and re-activate without contacting Dish. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes to complete. You can also go to your account on Dish and go to the outdoor section and re-activate from Dishes webpage.

Cricket Golf Cart Carried in the Both Jeeps
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish