RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #15

My nephew has me trying YouTube tv and it works pretty well. Has my local channels away from home. I donít know about how long but suspect itís dependent on home billing address. Sadly this is all controlled by the networks, they donít care if you donít get what you want.

mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #16
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
My nephew has me trying YouTube tv and it works pretty well. Has my local channels away from home. I donít know about how long but suspect itís dependent on home billing address. Sadly this is all controlled by the networks, they donít care if you donít get what you want.
This summer, when YouTubeTV "got upset" because I wasn't in my home area for >90 days it started giving me local channels where I was. I'm not sure if this is the normal procedure, but it was Ok with me.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #17

We haven’t had cable or satellite for 4 years. We have unlimited data and can stream about 70-80 percent of the time. Took some getting used to but we have learned there is more to do than watch TV.

Like reading and posting on iRV2.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:42 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We just got back from a trip to Soap Lake WA. The CG was pretty empty since it was the middle of the week so the manager just said "pick a spot and I will do the paperwork" I walked the available sites in the "price range" and found two with an open SE exposure. Picked one, set up, and deployed the dish. It worked fine. Good thing, the data there was "email speed only" and our T-Mobile barely had cell signal much less data.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:55 PM   #19

We also use OTR mobile to stream YouTube TV and have had good results. I split YouTube with my son. They allow for five different streams and 5 cloud based DVRs. I get local channels from his billing zip code. Works for me. If I want local channels from where we are traveling campground cable or over the air antenna will have to do. Iíve only been one place where AT&T was marginal for streaming so for that week I used my Verizon cell. Splitting the account with my son eliminates the whole not in your home zip code every so many days requirements.
wjohnson913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:37 PM   #20

I kept satellite as streaming just has too many hoops to jump thru. I prefer simplicity and sat does it for me. I have a dish on the roof and one for the ground should trees be in the way. Plus I have the tv on most of the day using with CNBC. Just not realistic for streaming
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:45 AM   #21
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnson913 View Post
We also use OTR mobile to stream YouTube TV and have had good results.
As of this morning I have cancelled DirecTV; we have been using YouTube TV for several weeks without any issues.

It was amusing to me that in order to cancel DirecTV I had to call a "special number" that isn't operational on weekends! When I called it this morning, the recording said "we're experiencing high call volumes!" Hard to imagine a less customer-service oriented company than AT&T!

If anyone else wants the cancellation department: 855-235-3982
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:48 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I was also amazed they asked for no early termination fees. I was within two year agreement.
1360W Solar, BattleBorn LiPo 800ah
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #23

We cut the Dish cord several months ago at home and use Sling, Prime, and Hulu instead. With a tablet plan from AT&T and a Visible phone, I feel we have a much better experience than standard definition campground cable and the cost of paying for so much we don't watch in both the RV and S&B. And we are finally getting our money's worth out of the Roku apps.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
We cut the Dish cord several months ago at home and use Sling, Prime, and Hulu instead. With a tablet plan from AT&T and a Visible phone, I feel we have a much better experience than standard definition campground cable and the cost of paying for so much we don't watch in both the RV and S&B. And we are finally getting our money's worth out of the Roku apps.

Could you expand on ďtablet plan from ATTĒ and ďVision Phone from VerizonĒ?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #25
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I kept satellite as streaming just has too many hoops to jump thru. I prefer simplicity and sat does it for me. I have a dish on the roof and one for the ground should trees be in the way. Plus I have the tv on most of the day using with CNBC. Just not realistic for streaming
We use a Roku Streaming Stick with the CNBC app and my DW has it on literally all day. It requires a cable or satellite login. We have just internet service with our home cable company so I tried that login.

It worked and I was shocked. The cable company must just be passing a valid token for all of their customers instead of just those with cable tv service.

Ray
Old 09-25-2019, 07:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Could you expand on “tablet plan from ATT” and “Vision Phone from Verizon”?
Sure and that is "Visible" phone from Verizon here $40/month unlimited internet....interested? Everything you need is in post # 10. I got the Moto G7 phone from them for $199 (normally $250) and will get $100 rebate after 2 months paid service. The plan is truly unlimited for talk, text and data and no throttling.
I also bought a used or open box unlocked GSM hotspot from eBay and then a $35/month AT&T tablet plan from eBay. It is also unlimited data. At a campground, I test the speed from each and use the fastest one.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
We use a Roku Streaming Stick with the CNBC app and my DW has it on literally all day. It requires a cable or satellite login. We have just internet service with our home cable company so I tried that login.

It worked and I was shocked. The cable company must just be passing a valid token for all of their customers instead of just those with cable tv service.

Ray
With the 9.1 Roku update, you are automatically logged on to many apps when you login to the Roku.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:29 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
YouTube TV Question: can you schedule programs to record? If so can it be done on a recurring basis (e.g., record all NCIS showings). Its not clear from reading their site. Thanks.

Tags
satellite