RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Umm, I have to disagree with that HD locals statement. I can only remember once or twice that we have had to watch the standard locals rather than HD. We've been traveling since 2015, full time.
It is too bad about the Travler, and a journey is the best way to get a good test. Different strokes for different folks.

Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #44

Most RV parks would prefer you not stream. We took a different approach at our park and installed WiFi that people can use to stream Prime, Netflix or whatever. I bought a DISH as you go in January 2018 and hardly used it (200 channels of Nothing for $80/month) so it's just sitting in a bay right now. I stream most of the time or use my roof antenna if I need some local programming.

ParkOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #45

Also consider the $40/month unlimited internet option

Just posting here in case people didn't see the thread at the top of this section with the option of getting TRUE unlimited internet at $40/month. Lots of follow-up posts from happy people following the instructions, getting a couple items and off they go with the cord cut.

$40/month unlimited internet....interested?
2004 Monaco Diplomat DST 40'-Cummins 330ISC-Allison 3000/Onan 7.5K Quiet Diesel Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc->Surface Pro 3/Garmin 760MLT/WeBoost 4Gx-OTR/EEZ Tire Monitor/ReadyBrake->Roadmaster All Terrain->GMC Jimmy-4/Trojan L16H-AC HseBatt (900Ahr/20hr/12v)/RO
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #46

All this cut the cord and streaming stuff is great but I refuse to sit there and pay to watch endless commercials. With my Hopper 3 I can record more than we watch and then watch what we are paying for, programming. Not commercials.
If Dish ever gets rid of the Hopper I will be gone.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #47
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
All this cut the cord and streaming stuff is great but I refuse to sit there and pay to watch endless commercials.
I'm not sure why you think that streaming TV means you have to watch commercials. Some streaming services do have commercials but at least some don't. With YouTube TV I can skip through commercials in any programs that I record. Only if I watch Video on Demand (VOD) are there commercials that I can't skip. Since I have a cloud DVR with infinite capacity, there's no reason not to record anything you think you may watch.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:26 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
All this cut the cord and streaming stuff is great but I refuse to sit there and pay to watch endless commercials. With my Hopper 3 I can record more than we watch and then watch what we are paying for, programming. Not commercials.
If Dish ever gets rid of the Hopper I will be gone.
You are misinformed. Netflix does not have commercials, Amazon Prime does not have commercials, although the $6 Hulu plan has limited commercials, the $12 plan has no commercials. Since you have Dish, I will tell you that I have their streaming app Sling and record my shows so I can skip commercials. True, it is not automatic like the Hopper, but pushing the FF button is not that hard.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #49

Streaming apps like Pluto, Tubi, The Roku Channel, etc have commercials because they are FREE and have to support that somehow. Apps like Sling, YouTube TV have commercials because they show a live feed and commercials come with that, but, if you record, you can in most cases, skip the ads.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #50

Streamers, do you use an external or roof mounted antenna for your cellular? How's the signal strength if ypu do not. I may just run off my Verizon phone/iPad if that's an acceptable solution.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #51

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I find this entire cord-cutting issue very confusing....too many options and variables to wrap my head around. Sticking with Dish until this technology is refined some more.

We stay a some RV resorts that have decent wireless, but not enough to stream. Can't even watch youtube videos. Sometimes barely enough to get mail. Especially at the dinner hour when everyone returns from their day trips.

I don't know how some of you are getting around this.....they control the bandwidth, not us. If there are 100 rigs trying to stream video, common sense tells me that it will slow down to a crawl. That's what we experience all the time.

Maybe someone really knowledgeable out there can enlighten this technology challenged person.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #52
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

I don't know how some of you are getting around this.....they control the bandwidth, not us. If there are 100 rigs trying to stream video, common sense tells me that it will slow down to a crawl. That's what we experience all the time.

Maybe someone really knowledgeable out there can enlighten this technology challenged person.
You are correct that you can't rely on RV Park WiFi for streaming. But the cost of truly unlimited cellular data service has become affordable and many of us carry one or more such hotspots. For example, I have both an unlimited prepaid Verizon hotspot and an unlimited AT&T one through OTR Mobile.

The two of them cost me ~$120/mo which is less than I was paying DirecTV. Between Verizon and AT&T I can count on service nearly everywhere. If I was stationary in a single location I might well drop one of them.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #53

We got the unlimited Verzion prepay plan. We have streamed tv with a Roko device eversince. We still carry our dish for when we don't have service. Not happend yet.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2015 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
Streamers, do you use an external or roof mounted antenna for your cellular? How's the signal strength if ypu do not. I may just run off my Verizon phone/iPad if that's an acceptable solution.
At this point, I carry a Visible phone and a router with AT&T tablet plan. The router has external antennas. I use whichever is fastest. I had the VZW unlimited 7730L hot spot for a while and used a window mounted external with it to pick up some speed. No roof antenna for now.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #55

When 5g is all across the US streaming might work for millions at a time

We see slower speeds and buffering due to the infrastructure not staying up with demand

I too will wait a few more years and then the streaming will be sorted out with the survivors out front before abandoning my satalite
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMichHunte View Post
I have a cheap WiFi extender mounted to my ladder. Model AC600 ... Different names sell this so just google outdoor WiFi extender AC600. Prior to this I use to just use iPad (Verizon Unlimited) and used an HDMI dongle (Walmart) to plug into TV for streaming. Worked well and still does. Bought outdoor extender for my laptop.

ParkOwner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite