Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #57

I use an outside antenna as signal inside the house is reduced and in my shop with double steel walls is zero. We have an ATT tower that became active in March this year, finally got rid of Hughes-net. No other cell service here to speak of. Verizon bounces in occasionally you may get a text or the phone may ring but you say hello, no one there.
Go 12 miles north and the opposite is the case.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #58

why would you need OTR to do any of this? Why can you not just buy the router device like a Nighthawk and connect it?
PASi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:57 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASi View Post
why would you need OTR to do any of this? Why can you not just buy the router device like a Nighthawk and connect it?
What would you connect it to? You need cell service when you are traveling. Look into installing a Winegard Connect 2 and buy the AT&T Sim card for $360/year with unlimited DATA

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-Conn...11447262&psc=1

Works great
Feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #60

I use an AT&T SIM card in a MOFI,I have 2 each one for travel the other one stays home for the cameras. The best price I have found is $35mo for each.
So where did you get the one for $30mo ?
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Att sim card

I got my card at my local AT&T store...$360 lump sum for 12 months have to pay first...walked out with the card and was up and running about 1 hour later.

BTW...if you get the Winegard 2 you must have the 4GLTE + WiFi Unit at $298 to use the ATT SIM CARD
Feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:46 AM   #62

Quote:
You need a service with the router. OTR is an AT&T based data only service. Alternatives are Visible (Verizon), AT&T, T-Mobile, MVNO providers, etc. OTR has been around for a while, and at $60/month is more reasonable than VZW, ATT or T-Mobile.
My ideal is something like a MoFi 4500 or KuWfi WE826 router with a SIM from a reasonably priced provider. I like those routers because of the external MiMo antennas that can be replaced with roof top directional or omni antennas which are more effective and a lot cheaper than cell boosters.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:33 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgique View Post
YouTube TV Question: can you schedule programs to record? If so can it be done on a recurring basis (e.g., record all NCIS showings). Its not clear from reading their site. Thanks.
Sure. You can record whatever shows you like by “adding them to your library” function on the cloud based DVR. I don’t believe there is a limit on the amount of hours you can record. If there is, I haven’t hit I’d.
Other people have mentioned using firesticks for streaming. They work for Hulu and Netflix and others but do not support YouTube TV (I think it’s an Amazon vs Google thing). To stream YouTube TV you need a Roku or Apple TV. Many smart TVs also have the YouTube TV app.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feiter View Post
I got my card at my local AT&T store...$360 lump sum for 12 months have to pay first..
What did you tell them at the store to get that plan? What's the plan's name?

Is it the TOGO or Airstream restricted plans?
dmp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:09 PM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnson913 View Post
Sure. You can record whatever shows you like by “adding them to your library” function on the cloud based DVR. I don’t believe there is a limit on the amount of hours you can record. If there is, I haven’t hit I’d.
Other people have mentioned using firesticks for streaming. They work for Hulu and Netflix and others but do not support YouTube TV (I think it’s an Amazon vs Google thing). To stream YouTube TV you need a Roku or Apple TV. Many smart TVs also have the YouTube TV app.

You Tube TV App was added to the Fire stick a few days ago.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #66

So if i am understanding correctly, I can ditch Dish, get either a Mofi or Verizon Night Hawk and run it through my Verizon unlimited account (which is discontinued if you do not have it anymore). But what about getting internet without going through my phone? Despite Verizon saying it is unlimited, it really is not and we would go through it very quickly.
PASi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #67

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So if i am understanding correctly, I can ditch Dish, get either a Mofi or Verizon Night Hawk and run it through my Verizon unlimited account (which is discontinued if you do not have it anymore). But what about getting internet without going through my phone? Despite Verizon saying it is unlimited, it really is not and we would go through it very quickly.

OR you could by a TOGO on AT&T that I have run over 100 gigs on this last month.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #68

Quote:
No need to pay that much for a router. A GL-iNet AR750 is what the Visible guys are using to tether their phones. See Post # 10 for a link to the set up in this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/40-mo...ed-442091.html
Old 11-02-2019, 07:06 PM   #69
WVI

I believe the Nighthawk can use the SIM from a phone, thus cutting out one component??
WVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVI View Post
I believe the Nighthawk can use the SIM from a phone, thus cutting out one component??
Right, but I prefer a data SIM. I got the ATT tablet plan for mine and use a Visible phone with the GL iNet as back up or whichever is faster.

Tags
satellite