RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #127

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
A couple of comments/questions.
1)YouTube should be able to provide all your local channels so the need for the AirTV may be minimal.
2)Accessing the AirTV on the road will require uploading data from your home. I know that for me at home I get over 150mbps download speed, but only 10-12mbps upload speed. Have you ever had buffering issues accessing your AirTV from the road?
3) My son has ATT DSL internet and I discovered I had buffering issues when watching 2 TVs on ATT TV Now at his house.

BTW: OSU alumni here, Go Pokes!
Larry
As to 1). Your right. I really bought the AirTV box more to distribute the OTA within the house versus pulling a coax to each TV and for the ability to DVR the OTA content is I wanted.
2.) I have not had any issues with the getting a good feed from the AirTV away from the house and using either WiFI or cell data. The app allows you to set the streaming quality feed from when you are off the home network but I keep it on the default of No Limit. Works fine.
3) I am close enough to fiber at my house to have good quality internet so no issues.

And finally, I knew there was something I liked about you. You can always tell a Cowboy! We are going to go to the West Virginia game later this month. Thought about taking the RV and parking in the stadium parking lot. Only $80 to park Friday at noon and leave by Sunday afternoon. Or so we've been told. But didn't want to risk getting into snow that late in November. The WV game in Morgantown is always a good time.

Class of 84' BS Construction Management

Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #128

Quote:
...the AirTV, do you experience buffering when viewing remotely? I think it may be caused by the upload speed from home more than anything else.
From earlier in the thread, someone said it needed 25Mbps to upload 1080p quality recordings. While I haven't tried this myself, that speed could obviously be a limitation at both the upload (home) and download (RV) side. I say this as many rate 5Mbps+ as good enough download to stream, but you'd need 5x that to get the 25Mbps stream from home.

Just pointing this out that what goes up at home must come down in the RV for you to watch your home AirTV recordings.

dmp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #129
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp1991 View Post
From earlier in the thread, someone said it needed 25Mbps to upload 1080p quality recordings. While I haven't tried this myself, that speed could obviously be a limitation at both the upload (home) and download (RV) side. I say this as many rate 5Mbps+ as good enough download to stream, but you'd need 5x that to get the 25Mbps stream from home.
In theory, a data stream is a data stream and it shouldn't take a faster internet connection to upload compared to what is required for downloading.

What I think may have been intended by that post is that since many home internet connections are "asynchronous" upload speeds can be significantly less than download speeds. Therefore, you may need an internet connection of the ~25Mbps (download) quality in order to realize a ~5Mbps upload speed.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #130

Quote:
We currently have DirecTV at home but use OTA and Netflix etc in the coach. We are considering dropping Satellite and switching to Sling TV or ATT Now or similar type streaming service. I am just starting my research on this, so I don't know much about it yet. My perception is that the streaming services are more than half the cost of satellite. Also, if I can also access the same streaming service on the road this would be a better situation for us anyway. For those of you who switched from satellite to a streaming service like sling or ATT now, what has been your experience with this?
We just went the other way. We did last season with a Verizon jet pack and our signal was mostly marginal except in metropolitan areas. As such, we werenít able to stream anything. We had no signal in Parker AZ, good in Indio CA, no signal in Ramona nor Borrego Sorings CA. We just switched to DISH at home and bought the gear to use in the RV.
sberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #131

Recording

We have used Direct TV Now, YouTube, and Sling. Personally, I liked the way Sling worked the best because it didn't buffer as much as DTVN and the cloud DVR worked better. Ultimately, we went back to DTVN (now called ATT TV NOW) for content. Also, we have ATT cell phones and they offered us a deal. I pay $35.79/mo for ATT TV Now. We have used many devices to view our streaming content and have settled on Apple TV. Since we both have iPhones and iPads, we can stream anything from them to our TV through the Apple TV box.

So, our setup is ATT TV Now, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video using cell data or WiFi and OTA (local channels from wherever we are) with an antenna on the roof.

But when we canít get OTA and have no Data (either Cell or WiFi), we switch to recorded content. For that, I record anything I can legally stream at home on PlayOn (ie. Amazon Prime, ATT NOW, Hulu, anything) and record it as a MP4 on a 1TB USB hard drive. To view it, we use a MXQ-4K Smart Android TV Box running Kodi. (https://www.amazon.com/Henscoqi-Andr.../dp/B01C52ATCE). You can use any device that will play content from a USB drive. I think the AirTV box said it would play recorded content but Iím not sure about that.

Playon works really well for recording anything you can legally stream but get the one time desktop version for $69.99.
https://www.playon.tv/offers/upgrade/
My wife and I recently discovered Blue Bloods and I recorded something ridiculous like 166 episodes. That has kept us happy for quite a while now. I have 3 Ė 1TB USB drives full of various content.

I have run into some interesting roadblocks getting devices that output HDMI to interface with my old 2011 TV system in the coach but I guess thatís a subject for a different thread.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I plan on dropping DTV and going with Utube streaming, at least as a trial to see if I like it. I did read one poster say something about the picture quality not being as good? Is this a real problem with streaming vs satellite?
Not quite sure why they had poor reception, but I was pleasantly surprised just how clear I got YouTube TV on my TV at home and in my RV. I cut Directv in August of this year and upset with myself I didnít do it sooner. AT&T IMHO are very greedy and is why they have lost millions of subscribers. I am very happy with my 70+ channels along with the unlimited DVR storage it has to offer. In addition, you get an additional 5 more accounts to watch your own tv lineup as well as DVR storage.
Bodean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #133
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodean56 View Post
Not quite sure why they had poor reception, but I was pleasantly surprised just how clear I got YouTube TV on my TV at home and in my RV.
The resolution of streaming video is primarily dependent on the quality of your connection to the internet, not the streaming service. Watching the World Series last night I noticed some occasional resolution issues, but my assumption was that viewers in south TX were putting a huge strain on the internet!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #134

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I read the first couple pages and decided that I would simply tell you what works for me.

First, in order to "stream" on-the-road, you need several pieces of equipment.

We have an "ATT Velocity" router (https://www.wireless.att.com/busines...id=ePJWat9NJBc) so I don't have to be dependent on campground internet. I am sure other carriers have similar devices.. I know Verizon does. (You do need to subscribe to a Cell service of some kind -- preferably one with nation-wide coverage -- if you don't want to depend on the campground's WiFiÖ or if you are boondocking.)

To receive the service, we have a ROKU Ultra but any of numerous other devices will serve the same purpose, nVidia Shield for instance. (You should, in any event, set the resolution for the poorest quality that is satisfying to you... that prevents buffering.)

From that point on your choice is subscribing to any of the paid subscription services (we use ATT NOW, HULU, Prime, ACORN, BritBox, HBO, etc.) or simply watch any of the gagillion free services -- for instance, https://www.roku.com/whats-on/featured-free. (There are many others, however.)
Again, the basic issue with streaming anything is good internet connection. We've been in places that AT&T and Verizon might have had 1 bar (even for voice) and NO OTA channels. So the only options (as long as you not under trees) are Satellite TV or Satellite internet
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:18 PM   #135

Quote:
I am also interested to hear about using att tv on the road. Does it work? Do they block you if not in same zip code as home?
my set-up is simple, i have a roku premiere streamer [ 35$ ] + strong internet [ very important ]+ a subscription to Sling TV with the Blue & Orange + sports option for 50$ monthly that i can cancel at anytime. When in Canada i use a vpn [ NORDVPN ] for 2.95 a month. No matter where i am at i never miss my favorite show or sport events
volvo9998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:52 PM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
Larry,

So this thread, and the fact that DTV contract is finally up and they jacked the pricing, has inspired me to proceed with streaming as well. Since the focus is on best streaming services and not devices, after much research I am doing a trial of both Youtube TV and Philo.

Youtube TV offered just about all that we wanted except DIY network which my wife really likes (and which I am end up being the implementer of all the "wonderful ideas").

Philo offer that in the line -up. So between the two we are pretty well covered. We also have Amazon Prime and as previously discussed AIRTV for recasting the local OTA content.

We essentially have all the programming that we could ever need to keep entertained and can watch any of it on either a TV or iPad/phone. I actually watched "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" last night on a BBC channel and it only had two 30 second commercials.

The picture clarity and quality seem to be good with both but the Philo guide letting is a bit small and hard to read.

I like the cloud DVR feature of YouTube TV. Also their guide is fairly intuitive and easy to maneuver. Since both Youtube TV and Philo offer free trials I would suggest trying them.

I figure that by dropping DTV with the 4 recievers and other add on's and going with Youtude TV at $50/mo and Philo at $20/mo we stand to save $100 a month.

Also, we won't lose TV due to strong rain anymore.

We use firesticks with alexa and it's handy to just tell the remote to open Youtube TV. sames a few clicks.

I feel we may need to bump our internet (ATT) speed a bit but was considering doing that anyway.
Great choice...youtubetv and Philo were my choices also and for exactly the same reason..I had to have DIY...I installed a Winegard 2 Connect and it has an AT&T Sim Card which I pay lump sum $360 year for and data is Unlimited. The Winegard will also strengthen the Parks WiFI and this worked a couple times during our last 5 week trip...we did not have a single night we could not streat effectively...The trip was through 12 States mostly along I80.

I changed out the TV in my 2018 RV and installed 32" TCL Roku...the picture is 1080 and the stock TV was 720 and we had to use the Firestick with it. I have Roku sets at home also.

Again..congrats and I don't think you will regret it
Feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:40 AM   #137

I live on the Oregon coast. Before that, I lived at the edge of the Weminuche Wilderness in Colorado. Traveled between the two quite a bit. Pretty much none of the 'solutions' offered up here would work in either place or most of the areas in between.

Cell service in the west is simply not what you folks think unless you imprison yourself on Interstates and in RV parks. Wifi comes every 75 miles or so.

Those commercials don't apply west of the Mississippi.
Smokey3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #138

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Again, the basic issue with streaming anything is good internet connection. We've been in places that AT&T and Verizon might have had 1 bar (even for voice) and NO OTA channels. So the only options (as long as you not under trees) are Satellite TV or Satellite internet

I saving money streaming at my sticks and bricks and with my RV if I get to place with no cell service I can call Dish Outdoors and get Dish for one month for 39.95. I will. still be money ahead streaming content.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:07 AM   #139

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonVBT View Post
We have used Direct TV Now, YouTube, and Sling. Personally, I liked the way Sling worked the best because it didn't buffer as much as DTVN and the cloud DVR worked better. Ultimately, we went back to DTVN (now called ATT TV NOW) for content. Also, we have ATT cell phones and they offered us a deal. I pay $35.79/mo for ATT TV Now. We have used many devices to view our streaming content and have settled on Apple TV. Since we both have iPhones and iPads, we can stream anything from them to our TV through the Apple TV box.

So, our setup is ATT TV Now, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video using cell data or WiFi and OTA (local channels from wherever we are) with an antenna on the roof.

But when we canít get OTA and have no Data (either Cell or WiFi), we switch to recorded content. For that, I record anything I can legally stream at home on PlayOn (ie. Amazon Prime, ATT NOW, Hulu, anything) and record it as a MP4 on a 1TB USB hard drive. To view it, we use a MXQ-4K Smart Android TV Box running Kodi. (https://www.amazon.com/Henscoqi-Andr.../dp/B01C52ATCE). You can use any device that will play content from a USB drive. I think the AirTV box said it would play recorded content but Iím not sure about that.

Playon works really well for recording anything you can legally stream but get the one time desktop version for $69.99.

https://www.playon.tv/offers/upgrade/

My wife and I recently discovered Blue Bloods and I recorded something ridiculous like 166 episodes. That has kept us happy for quite a while now. I have 3 Ė 1TB USB drives full of various content.

I have run into some interesting roadblocks getting devices that output HDMI to interface with my old 2011 TV system in the coach but I guess thatís a subject for a different thread.

It looks like you need a Windows PC for PlayOn? I only have a Mac.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:08 AM   #140

What some of the cable Plus Carrier They may put you on some kind of trail offer and then 60 days later we got a bill for Channels we never asked for more. so So Spectrum up and 3 time the bill we used hot spot We get At&t calls but No surprise yet

Mglennmoore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, streaming tv service