RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #15

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I am also interested to hear about using att tv on the road. Does it work? Do they block you if not in same zip code as home?
Larry,

On the road we use AT&T TV Now as a backup to DirecTV coming off our rooftop dish. We also use AT&T TV Now at home along with other streaming services and an OTA antenna; we haven’t had satellite at home for more than 6 years.

Current AT&T offerings are confusing because they offer AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now). AT&T TV is available in limited areas and not in Memphis where we live. I expect AT&T TV Now will eventually go away and everyone will have access to AT&T TV.

If this helps, we’ve successfully used AT&T TV Now all over the country with no problems since the inception of DirecTV Now almost 3 years ago; we’ve never been blocked. We use a Mobley streaming through an Apple TV and as far as I know AT&T still doesn’t charge against our data plan when we’re streaming AT&T TV Now.

Like you mentioned in an earlier post we record everything and skip commercials on both DirecTV and AT&T TV Now. Unfortunately, the AT&T TV Now DVR is still in beta and limited to 20 hours. I believe the AT&T TV DVR is 500 hours.

2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #16

YouTube TV

We have Directv and OTR internet. Youtube TV is $100 cheaper than my Directv so I tried their free trial. It took quite awhile to figure out the setup but I got it working and everything was fine except the picture was much lower quality than Directv.

Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You cannot depend on park WiFI. Net, you cannot depend on cell service for streaming. Many places we go to have minimal to poor cell service.

If you stay close to major cities, you can use streaming from your cell data.

Ken
Old 10-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Larry, we've never had any location issues with our DTVN nor the ATT TV (Now?) rebranded versions. They work everywhere we've been.

One big problem is that ATT keeps raising the pricing for their streaming services - and they keep losing customers. We started out with 65 channels and HBO for $15 a month. That pricing included a $25/month discount because we had an ATT Cellular acct and they threw in free HBO for life to attract subscribers.

It worked and they got over 2 million subscribers. Then they started raising the cost. For us original users the cost only went up $10. And, we've seen reports that it will increase another $10 next month but we've not been notified of this from ATT. The cost to sign up now for 65 channels is a whopping $70 a month but HBO is included. And those same reports of price increases are scheduled to hit next month as well. I think the discount for new ATT Cellular users is now $10 a month.

As a result of all the name changes and price increases ATT has lost nearly 1 million subscribers in the past year. So, who knows how this will play out.

I'm paying $25 a month for 65 channels and HBO. Which to me is an acceptable price. Much more increase and I'm going to have to rethink that option.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You cannot depend on park WiFI. Net, you cannot depend on cell service for streaming. Many places we go to have minimal to poor cell service.

Ken
We've found very few places where we did not have good enough cell service to stream TV. In fact, it's only happened to us once in the past year. Seems cellular coverage just gets better and better. Especially with our ATT service.

We have both ATT and Verizon MiFi devices and totally unlimited high speed data plans on both. For the first year it seemed like Verizon was the best and ATT only hit and miss. Now, it's turned around and ATT seems the strongest and fastest in the most locations.

This past Spring we dry camped in a National Forest Campground north of Flagstaff, AZ. It had zero cell service. Which was unusual for us. So we watched DVDs. Not a real problem for us.

Also, some of the better RV Parks are getting the message about better WiFi services and we've been able to use their internet about 10% of the time. Many times CG Wifi is speed capped to prevent streamers for accessing it. I always speedtest the CG wifi and then ATT or Verizon service. We look for speeds between 3 mbps and 5 mbps for good streaming. On the trip we just returned to the norm was actually between 12 mbps and as high as 35 mbps.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Net, you cannot depend on cell service for streaming. Many places we go to have minimal to poor cell service.

That's a VERY broad claim.

IMO, it's pretty disingenuous to make this kind of claim without including the details of your setup. Are you using a phone, hotspot, or dedicated LTE router? Is it 5+ yrs old technology or brand new with LTE Aggregation Pro? What bands does it support and who's network have you tried? Does it have a window antenna? A MIMO antenna? Have you tried a roof-mounted antenna? Omni pattern or directional? Were you in a valley in a mountain range? In short, there are lots of ways to improve your cell reception to get usable internet.

I might not have traveled as much as you, or to the same types of places, but I find I can mostly get fast enough internet to stream with my (used) Cradlepoint CBA850 with CAT6 modem and external, omni, MIMO antenna. Either AT&T or Verizon works. I expect my success rate will go up once I upgrade the LTE modem to CAT18 and pair it with roof-mounted antennas.

Anyway, this thread was about streaming. Which I obviously do. PSVue, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. The comment I wanted to make is that so far I've had good luck using a VPN to a personal VPS for geo-location workarounds. Costs a little bit, but not much more than paying for a decent commercial VPN service. You do need to be (or know someone who is) fairly IT savy to set it up, but after setup it's easy to work/use.
dmp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:40 PM   #21

What I've read on this is that Hulu is a home only thing....but if you use a Firestick, Hulu is available on the go....true or fiction?
Old 10-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
What I've read on this is that Hulu is a home only thing....but if you use a Firestick, Hulu is available on the go....true or fiction?
Hulu is available on just about all devices - Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, and most Smart TVs.

We used to subscribe, but we watch so little of the shows on Hulu that we dropped it as an necessary expense.

There is a version of Hulu with local TV channels - we never subscribed to that. We have access to locals via ATT TV Now and of course, via the RV's built in TV Antenna. In both of these cases the "locals" available are the locals where your RV is parked.

Once we started streaming the whole Local TV channels watching sort of faded into the past. We did replace our SAT dish on the roof at home with a TV Antenna and even though we're 20 miles north of San Antonio we still get 45 channels via the Antenna. We just don't watch much.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #23

Howdy!

We dropped our DirecTV satellite over a year ago knowing we could not use it on our trip to Alaska. We started streaming using then a DirecTV Now, Netflix and Amazon Prime. We have iPhones and iPads so we use Apple TV to stream. We have unlimited accounts with AT&T and Verizon. Surprising we had great service even in Canada and Alaska only lost it in the Yukon and there I no service at all there. We only had one park in Cottonwood Arizona that’s didn’t have service so far in the lower 48 states. We watch every little local TV and I was very surprised this last year in our travels that AT&T TV Now automatically changes to the local TV stations in the area we are in now. Makes it nice to be able to keep up with the local weather and news. We like to binge watch tv series or movies so we burn through a lot of data. In the areas we had no service we would just download tv series or movies to the tablet to be to watch them later.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DPM1991, we are using a WeBoost, cell booster, with an optional Yagi antenna, Verizon unlimited plan and been to numerous sites with marginal to zero cell service. We tend to like the out of the way places.

Like I said, stay around the beaten path and you can get a cell signal.

Ken
Old 10-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
It is interesting to me that no one has said they are using Sling TV. Sling seems to have a feature where it integrates OTA channels with the streaming channels which is interesting to me, this seems like it would allow me to access local channels within the same interface as streaming. I have not seen this first hand, so I am interested to hear from someone how has. Also, I did a 7 day trial of Sling a few months ago and found the interface pretty good. When at my son's house last week, I didn't much care for the ATT TV interface. Of course, I didn't try to customize it for my use, because I didn't want to mess up their settings. Also, sling is quite a bit cheaper than ATT.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
It's good that we can all try these new options before signing up and they don't have contracts so we can test them out to see what we liked. Sling didn't appeal to us - but many like it. We also test PS4 and Pluto as well.

I mentioned that we had Dish Network for 21 years. The whole thought of dropping it for streaming was scary. So, we had Dish put our account on Hold for 6-months while we tested out streaming. After the 6-months we knew we'd never go back and we canceled Dish completely.

Dish gave us a hard time about canceling. At first it was all "you've been with us so long that we'll give you anything to keep you." But as soon as we told them no they changed to difficult and not helpful. The made us return SAT Receivers we had rented and paid $5 a month for a dozen years. Old out of date equipment they were going to do nothing with but destroy.

They told me to climb up on the roof and remove the LNB from the dish and send it back as well. We told them no and that if they wanted to come get it they were welcome to. They backed off of that stance right away at that point.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:00 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It's good that we can all try these new options before signing up and they don't have contracts so we can test them out to see what we liked. Sling didn't appeal to us - but many like it. We also test PS4 and Pluto as well.

I mentioned that we had Dish Network for 21 years. The whole thought of dropping it for streaming was scary. So, we had Dish put our account on Hold for 6-months while we tested out streaming. After the 6-months we knew we'd never go back and we canceled Dish completely.

Dish gave us a hard time about canceling. At first it was all "you've been with us so long that we'll give you anything to keep you." But as soon as we told them no they changed to difficult and not helpful. The made us return SAT Receivers we had rented and paid $5 a month for a dozen years. Old out of date equipment they were going to do nothing with but destroy.

They told me to climb up on the roof and remove the LNB from the dish and send it back as well. We told them no and that if they wanted to come get it they were welcome to. They backed off of that stance right away at that point.
What about Sling did you not like? I just called and they assured me that I could use it on the road. I checked with ATT now and discovered that they do not offer any local channels for my zip code. Do you get any local channels on ATT now? Also, as you travel around, do you get the local channels as well?
OTA integration on Sling does requires the $80 AirTV device, all that is needed on the road for that to work is to rescan for available channels.
I don't think ATT now offers a discount for current ATT customers any more either. ATT now looks to cost me $70 a month with no local channels (in my case) while Sling with the add ons I would want will be around $55 a month (plus the onetime cost of the AirTV) So I thnk I am leaning toward Sling at this point. Either one is way better pricing than satellite though.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I didn't like the channel lineup options on Sling. Remember, when DirecTV Now started it was 65 channels and HBO for $25 a month. Sling had a bunch of small packages that to get all the channels we wanted - at the time - was more than twice as much per month.

ATT TV Now does have locals in many markets - including where we live - and many of the places we visit in our RV. But after 2-years of streaming there are not hardly any Network TV shows that we watch other than PBS. And for that we got PBS Passport for streaming PBS shows.

I agree that ATT TV Now is far too expensive now and if I didn't have all of these grandfathered discounts I would drop it in a minute.

If you watch a lot of local shows you could switch to a TV Antenna at home and on the RV. Or perhaps Hulu + Live TV, YouTube TV, Playstation Vue or Sling would work better for you? Heck, you might be better served staying with satellite. Everyone's different.

The point I've tried to get across is the switch to streaming doesn't exactly replicate the kind of TV watching people do on cable or SAT. And, the best way to fully understand that is to try streaming on a trial basis and see if it's something you like or not.

Tags
satellite, streaming tv service