RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Dropping Satellite for Streaming Service

You tube tv looked to me to be the best at local Chanel’s for travelers according to the fine print 3 months . Hulu will shut off wireless access after awhile less time I understand .. unless you log in at home or I’ve been told.
you need to have a landline internet to sign up no wireless and return “home” to that landline to keep the wireless working. I don’t know if any of this is true but we don’t have a “home” to return to.
ATT now , has very poor participation of local channels when I put in some sample zip codes as does sling. At least When I looked . Many rv parks don’t have access to local ota so for me to be interested i need the 4 major OTA networks ! there are programs my wife and I watch regularly.
All of them require a different way of watching .. less “surfing” and more looking for a specific program and picking the service that has it to search for it.

BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LarryJB,

Thanks for initiating this thread. We too are considering dropping DirecTV for Streaming and many of the comments have been helpful.

One thing you might consider if you want to want your local channels (where you live) while you re on the road is what I did when we couldn't get ABC on DirectTV during their recent contract dispute.

I put an over the air antenna in our attic and connected to an "AirTV | Dual-tuner Local Channel Streamer for TVs and Mobile Devices | DVR Capable | Built for Sling TV" box. you can get on Amazon for $60. This then connects to your home router and wifi and then you can watch your local channels on any smart TV in the house over wifi without using a direct connection to the antenna.

But what is really cool is that you can watch the same programming coming to you house from anywhere in the country using you phone or device or smart TV with the AirTV app installed. Free TV with no subscriptions.

and you can attach an external hard drive and DVR the programs you want to watch.

Just a thought to give you some more flexibility.

Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:43 PM   #31
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
We're giving Orby a try.. $56 a month

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Hmmm, no ESPN, FS1, no sports at all. That's a deal breaker for me. Wait, that is not even a streaming service. How would it work on the road?
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #33

I plan on dropping DTV and going with Utube streaming, at least as a trial to see if I like it. I did read one poster say something about the picture quality not being as good? Is this a real problem with streaming vs satellite?
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
How's your picture quality? I looked at switching to that a few months back, but most of the reviews I saw said the quality wasn't good. Good price though.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My limited experience over 30 days use on the road is the quality of the picture is linked to the speed of your internet. Youtube TV seems to decrease quality to maintain a picture when the quality of your internet connection decreases. At one campsite the dropped 1080 down to 320 in the evenings and back up to 1080 during the day. Other campsites I would could maintain 1080 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I plan on dropping DTV and going with Utube streaming, at least as a trial to see if I like it. I did read one poster say something about the picture quality not being as good? Is this a real problem with streaming vs satellite?
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
The features I am most looking for in a streaming service are:
1) Access to the major OTA networks, CBS, ABC, FOX, NBC (this could be from OTA antenna)
2) Good sports coverage, ESPN, FS1, RSN(Fox Sports regional coverage) MLB network, etc.
3) A good variety of channels like HGTV, A&E, History Channel, etc.
4) Cloud DVR available
5) Be able to access on the road (good internet speed is assumed)
6) Significantly less costly than Direct TV.

I am not interested in,
1)Premium movie channels like HBO and Cinimax
2)Children's programming.

Sling TV seems to me to be the best fit for me at this point. The thing that does bother me about them is that right now they don't have the Fox Sports regional channels, but they tell me they will probably get them back after contract negotiations. It makes me wonder if this is a common occurrence for them, and will happen with other channels.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Been looking at Youtube. Probably going to drop Dish and go with streaming using our phone as a hotspot.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
@LarryJB
The only feature that stops me from using Sling is there numerous sites I have not been able to get over the air reception. I have thought about using the Cloud DRV from home to record the programs I watch on network TV then watch them while I'm traveling.
Past RVs 2006 21 Foot BT Cruiser Class C - 2015 Montana 3711 - 2016 Grand Design 310GK-R
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #39

streaming ATTNow ( directv NOW)

For streaming service I have ATT TV NOW ( which was Directv Now). I have had it since it came out so grandfathered into the GO Big package 105+ channels at 36.95 per month. We love it. Works well with firestick and Roku

I prefer the Roku it seems a bit smoother.

They have several packages pricing is higher than when i signed up.

I have tried Sling which i think is decent less money but less channels. A lot of "cable" channels like Hallmark ESPN etc have apps you can subscribe to indicvdually if the package you pick is missing a favorite channel. Also CBS All Access is good .

Most have a 7 day free trial to check them out. Just be sure to cncel at the end of trial period if you decide you don't like it

BTW I have also tried HULU Live YouTube Live and PS Vue. I felt the Direct TV Now was the best FWIW
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #40

SPORTS chennels picture quality while streaming

I have really great picture quality while streaming. My ATT Now package has FS1 Espn Fox south ACC channel Big Ten for sports.

ESPN has a app for about 5.00 a month for all ESPN channels plus ESPN + which some college games and other sports on it which is not normally on ESPN 1 or 2.

If you select a streaming company that doesn't have sports add the add on apps for Fox and ESPN
Old 10-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
How about convenience? The streaming setups sound clumsy to me. I did a trial on Youtube TV at home and I liked it, but for the RV its seems like a techy minefield, and a pothole laden way to go. Anything but simple and the providers, rules and packages are changing almost daily.

When I fire up my coach DirecTV DVRs (I have two), I press one button and the Winegard Travlr dish goes up and aims itself. Within 5 minutes everything is on my screen in HD including all the networks (using DNS, Distant Network Service). Using just one remote control. I don't have to switch from one app to another wondering where the program is that I want to see, it is all in the same place. (Lets see, was that program on Sling, Amazon, Netfix, Hulu, YouTube or what?) I can see and/or record any subscribed program, all the time, 24/7, with never a limit on how much TV I watch or a need to monitor my usage. No need to enable a hotspot on my phone or other device. Never any throttling or data cutoffs. The programming package doesn't keep changing every few weeks. I don't have to have good cell service, or any cell service at all. I can use the system anywhere in the continental US and many places outside it.

Okay, I need a sky clear of trees, but compared to the many issues mentioned above, that seems a small issue that can be usually planned around. Granted, DTV may cost more money, but it sure seems to me a lot more convenient and easier to use.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #42

Well once you have a Roku set up in your coach and either you cell phone set to stream (or a dedicated hotspot) it's really pretty easy. We just traveled for 18 weeks from Fl up to Maine across norther US to Michigan , Upper Pennisula, Wisconsin N Dak S Dak Neb Kansas Okla AR AL back to Fl. We have DirectV Now every night. We have one cell on verizon and other on ATT.. The UP and part of Door County Wi was ATT only and another spot was verizon only but SW was happy to have her shows so that was a good thing. I do not use a cell booster or anything al though probably by next big trip i will have something like WeBoost or similar

Tags
satellite, streaming tv service