RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #71
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I think I am going to give youtube tv another look. We have been keeping track of the channels we watch and are discovering that sling doesn't have a few that the DW watches. Plus, I also discovered they are carrying my local channels as well. I did 7 day trial about a year ago and didn't like their interface very much. I wonder if they will let me do it again?
YouTube TV carries the local channels for whatever city you claim as home. All you have to do is connect from there at least every 30 days or so. If you don't eventually you start getting local stations from wherever you happen to be. Except that any shows you are recording are being "recorded" from your local channels and are available after the recordings are finished. That should mean that you can continue to watch local programming no matter where you are.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2019, 08:13 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
If MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) ever decides to allow it’s network be streamed, I’ll drop DirecTV in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, MASN is the only coverage of my baseball team, and I’m not going to do without it.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:34 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Read a good book!
I'm in group 01. I understand binary, and we take plenty of books with us. Rainy days, no TV, etc.; time for some good reading!
Old 10-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #74

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
If MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) ever decides to allow it’s network be streamed, I’ll drop DirecTV in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, MASN is the only coverage of my baseball team, and I’m not going to do without it.
Nats or O's?

Here's a way to do it. https://www.overthrowcable.com/how-to-watch-masn/
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:46 AM   #75

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Nats or O's?

Here's a way to do it. https://www.overthrowcable.com/how-to-watch-masn/
Nats. I went to the game last night. We got stomped pretty good, but I got to scratch another item off the ol’ bucket list.

Thanks for the link!
Old 10-27-2019, 07:10 AM   #76

I cut the cord over a year ago. At home I have internet via a local provider. For TV I have an OTA which works well in the Tampa Bay area. I also have You Tube TV for streaming.

For the RV I have the same except I signed up for AT&T's Car Connect Plan which is unlimited Data via a mobile MiFi device. Our cell phones have the Verizon unlimited GO plan which reduces your priority when busy. I haven't experienced this. You Tube TV allows us to use it's service on the road. Hulu for example does not.

Total for all this is about $230/mo and includes our 2 cell phones.

For the most part we've gotten pretty good internet and thus streaming service everywhere we've gone. There are a few places out west where we were unable to get service. I also have a WeBoost cellular signal booster and that helps in fringe areas.

I also have a dish portable antenna that I've used for 2 months during our travels in the summer of '18. Dish pay as you go plan works well. I didn't activate it this year because I didn't think it would work in Canada and Alaska where we traveled this summer.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Nats. I went to the game last night. We got stomped pretty good, but I got to scratch another item off the olí bucket list.

Thanks for the link!
One (but not only) reason we got the RV was to visit all 30 MLB ballparks. So far we have visited 22. We went to Nationals Park this past May. Very nice park. We have never been to a WS game, but it is definitely on the bucket list!
Old 10-27-2019, 04:18 PM   #78

this is what we do, we use the amazon firestick and it works great, I use Verizon for internet and when I don't have Verizon the RV park wifi seems to work just fine. if you're in a big city like Orlando or Houston the RV park wifi is just great and streams very well.
TonyinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #79

I read the first couple pages and decided that I would simply tell you what works for me.

First, in order to "stream" on-the-road, you need several pieces of equipment.

We have an "ATT Velocity" router (https://www.wireless.att.com/busines...id=ePJWat9NJBc) so I don't have to be dependent on campground internet. I am sure other carriers have similar devices.. I know Verizon does. (You do need to subscribe to a Cell service of some kind -- preferably one with nation-wide coverage -- if you don't want to depend on the campground's WiFiÖ or if you are boondocking.)

To receive the service, we have a ROKU Ultra but any of numerous other devices will serve the same purpose, nVidia Shield for instance. (You should, in any event, set the resolution for the poorest quality that is satisfying to you... that prevents buffering.)

From that point on your choice is subscribing to any of the paid subscription services (we use ATT NOW, HULU, Prime, ACORN, BritBox, HBO, etc.) or simply watch any of the gagillion free services -- for instance, https://www.roku.com/whats-on/featured-free. (There are many others, however.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #80

Thumbs up

Quote:
We currently have DirecTV at home but use OTA and Netflix etc in the coach. We are considering dropping Satellite and switching to Sling TV or ATT Now or similar type streaming service. I am just starting my research on this, so I don't know much about it yet. My perception is that the streaming services are more than half the cost of satellite. Also, if I can also access the same streaming service on the road this would be a better situation for us anyway. For those of you who switched from satellite to a streaming service like sling or ATT now, what has been your experience with this?
I had DirecTv for 18 years and dropped them 2 months ago and stream now with YouTubeTV ($50./month, no contract, unlimited DVR, can have 6 family members use it, around 75 channels plus LOCAL stations.) Very happy with the service. Like you, I already had Netflix and Amazon Prime so I'm all set. I believe that streaming will be what everyone will be doing in the future, so NO sat dish or cables. Over the last 18 years paid DirecTV over $20,000!! Crazy.
Rade1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:52 PM   #81

Quote:
We currently have DirecTV at home but use OTA and Netflix etc in the coach. We are considering dropping Satellite and switching to Sling TV or ATT Now or similar type streaming service. I am just starting my research on this, so I don't know much about it yet. My perception is that the streaming services are more than half the cost of satellite. Also, if I can also access the same streaming service on the road this would be a better situation for us anyway. For those of you who switched from satellite to a streaming service like sling or ATT now, what has been your experience with this?
We have Direct TV and just added a stand alone D TV console and at $7 a month it seems like a good deal. We have exclusively used dvds while traveling. Streaming in every Camp ground is prohibited, so Iím curious HOW you stream?

Thanks, Dave
16Navion24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #82

National RV Owners Club
Location: Beginning Full Timing from Katy, TX, but I'm from Portland, OR
I've been streaming for the last 5 years. I recently signed up with FMCA's Sprint Hotspot. I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. No problems with "out of zip code," but like anything internet based, there are areas where the strength is less than desirable. Overall, I'm very happy with streamng.
mmccray100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #83

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Navion24g View Post
We have Direct TV and just added a stand alone D TV console and at $7 a month it seems like a good deal. We have exclusively used dvds while traveling. Streaming in every Camp ground is prohibited, so Iím curious HOW you stream?

Thanks, Dave
I do not use the campground wifi at all. I have found it is unreliable and SLOW. I got in on the $20 unlimited data Mobley deal a couple years ago and am using that to stream. This is not prohibited by campgrounds. There are MANY threads on how this is setup and is really not the subject of this thread.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:13 PM   #84

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnson913 View Post
I stream and there are various different threads on this site regarding the subject. I have unlimited internet access from OTR mobile for sixty bucks a month. No limits, no throttling and they use AT&T towers. Only had an issue in the most remote places.

For TV streaming I use YouTube TV. There may be better sources but Iíve found some others are a little more difficult when you are not in your billing zip code. YouTube TV allow for five different users so I split it with my son so that takes care of the zip code restrictions.

YouTube TV is fifty bucks a month with my local channels and cloud based DVRs.

Works for us real well.

I was interested in YouTube TV but at one point I read that you had to log in at least once each 90 days from home location to keep service active. Iím frequently on the road for longer than that. Is that a rule and has anyone had an issue with it?

mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, streaming tv service