Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #113

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab449 View Post
Many places we camp have no cell service or wifi. What do you do then? Read a book?

You could read a book but we still have our in-motion dome on our coach and our Wallys in the coach so for 39.95 we can fire up dish outdoors for a month. If we parked under trees we also have a Tailgater that we can try to get out from under the. trees. There still DVDs and yep there still books
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 08:55 AM   #114

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1096 View Post
Sorry off subject
What type of dvr? We were told the home DVR cannot work in camper due to two different signals/systems
This is not true. I have been using home DVR's from DirecTV in my RV for the past 16 years. I currently have two HR24 DVRs running in my coach. But you have to have the right antenna. I am using a Winegard Travlr but others will work too.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #115

Grand Design Owners Club
Larry,

So this thread, and the fact that DTV contract is finally up and they jacked the pricing, has inspired me to proceed with streaming as well. Since the focus is on best streaming services and not devices, after much research I am doing a trial of both Youtube TV and Philo.

Youtube TV offered just about all that we wanted except DIY network which my wife really likes (and which I am end up being the implementer of all the "wonderful ideas").

Philo offer that in the line -up. So between the two we are pretty well covered. We also have Amazon Prime and as previously discussed AIRTV for recasting the local OTA content.

We essentially have all the programming that we could ever need to keep entertained and can watch any of it on either a TV or iPad/phone. I actually watched "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" last night on a BBC channel and it only had two 30 second commercials.

The picture clarity and quality seem to be good with both but the Philo guide letting is a bit small and hard to read.

I like the cloud DVR feature of YouTube TV. Also their guide is fairly intuitive and easy to maneuver. Since both Youtube TV and Philo offer free trials I would suggest trying them.

I figure that by dropping DTV with the 4 recievers and other add on's and going with Youtude TV at $50/mo and Philo at $20/mo we stand to save $100 a month.

Also, we won't lose TV due to strong rain anymore.

We use firesticks with alexa and it's handy to just tell the remote to open Youtube TV. sames a few clicks.

I feel we may need to bump our internet (ATT) speed a bit but was considering doing that anyway.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #116

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner Elk View Post
Look at ROKU. You can get rid of all your dishes at home and the RV. Even watch TV while going down the road. It's a game changer!!
Thanks for the suggestion, but I already have a Roku, in fact I have several. Roku is not a streaming service, it is a streaming device that can be used to access streaming services. In order to get things like ESPN, A&E, HGTV, etc.. You need some sort of Live TV provider such as DirecTV, Sling TV, or Cox Cable. The Roku alone will not get you access to these channels. There are a few free channels available on the Roku, but not all the ones I would want.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #117

LarryJB … Actually there are 101 types of people …. Men who understand binary, men who don't and women who understand binary, women that don't. Then there are kids who all understand binary!
To those of you who don't understand binary …….. Sorry
Old 10-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #118

We prefer to not watch TV while we are on the road. We like to travel to interesting places and enjoy where we are at. We do have OTA and use it mainly to get a quick look at the news and weather.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #119

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwdnet View Post
Sorry - PSV=PlayStation Vue

We use PSV for our main streaming service at home. We use Roku sticks for access on our TVs that don't have built in Roku or Android operating system (not "smart" TVs). We get internet via Comcast and wifi via a Netgear router.
Yeah, I googled it and figured out what it was. I had incorrectly assumed that you needed a PlayStation to get PSV. I looked into it and it looked pretty good, however for me anyway it does not include my local stations except for NBC and FOX. It leaves out CBS and ABC, so that is a deal breaker for me. But I did learn it can be accessed from my Roku.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #120

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iancmrn View Post
LarryJB … Actually there are 101 types of people …. Men who understand binary, men who don't and women who understand binary, women that don't. Then there are kids who all understand binary!
To those of you who don't understand binary …….. Sorry
Old 10-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #121

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
Larry,

So this thread, and the fact that DTV contract is finally up and they jacked the pricing, has inspired me to proceed with streaming as well. Since the focus is on best streaming services and not devices, after much research I am doing a trial of both Youtube TV and Philo.

Youtube TV offered just about all that we wanted except DIY network which my wife really likes (and which I am end up being the implementer of all the "wonderful ideas").

Philo offer that in the line -up. So between the two we are pretty well covered. We also have Amazon Prime and as previously discussed AIRTV for recasting the local OTA content.

We essentially have all the programming that we could ever need to keep entertained and can watch any of it on either a TV or iPad/phone. I actually watched "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" last night on a BBC channel and it only had two 30 second commercials.

The picture clarity and quality seem to be good with both but the Philo guide letting is a bit small and hard to read.

I like the cloud DVR feature of YouTube TV. Also their guide is fairly intuitive and easy to maneuver. Since both Youtube TV and Philo offer free trials I would suggest trying them.

I figure that by dropping DTV with the 4 recievers and other add on's and going with Youtude TV at $50/mo and Philo at $20/mo we stand to save $100 a month.

We use firesticks with alexa and it's handy to just tell the remote to open Youtube TV. sames a few clicks.

I feel we may need to bump our internet (ATT) speed a bit but was considering doing that anyway.
A couple of comments/questions.
1)YouTube should be able to provide all your local channels so the need for the AirTV may be minimal.
2)Accessing the AirTV on the road will require uploading data from your home. I know that for me at home I get over 150mbps download speed, but only 10-12mbps upload speed. Have you ever had buffering issues accessing your AirTV from the road?
3) My son has ATT DSL internet and I discovered I had buffering issues when watching 2 TVs on ATT TV Now at his house.
4) I already did the YouTube trial a year ago or so and they won't let me do it again. I think I should be able to create a new gmail account and do it again on that one. My perception is that they have improved things since I last tried it. I have a 5 day trip coming up soon, so I will wait to sign up for the trial til the day of the trip, so I can try it out on the road.
5) My DTV contract is up at the end of the month as well, and my bill will go up to $134 before taxes. I called and asked for the retention department. They offered to take off $45 which gets me down to $89 a month. I was also told that the new rate did not lock me into a new contract and I could still cancel at any time. I took the deal mainly because that's what the DW wanted to do. LOL I am hoping I can talk her into dropping them after we do the YouTube trial in the coach.
BTW: OSU alumni here, Go Pokes!
Old 10-28-2019, 11:29 AM   #122

I cut cable 2 years ago. I bought multiple fire stick @around $20 each when on sale. Subscribe to any streaming service sling, YouTube, play station vue, etc... I have sling, Netflix, and amazon tv and am happy with it. when camping i use OTA or stream from fire stick using phone service and Internet tethering. If no TV signal, phone service or campground Internet then either watch old DVDs or just no TV. Simple...
JustParo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #123

Future of cable satellite tv and streaming

As technology develops the trend will be the streaming of tv will be the major player. Many in the industry have written about this in the past. You see more and more people dropping cable tv service and going to streaming. That doesn't mean in your S&B you may still have Frontier or Spectrum providing your internet but your tv service will be some form of al a carte or something like YouTube live. There will probably be a group of people who may need satellite because of where they live

If you're thinking of buying satellite equipment you may want to really look at streaming. FWIW
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:36 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
We currently have DirecTV at home but use OTA and Netflix etc in the coach. We are considering dropping Satellite and switching to Sling TV or ATT Now or similar type streaming service. I am just starting my research on this, so I don't know much about it yet. My perception is that the streaming services are more than half the cost of satellite. Also, if I can also access the same streaming service on the road this would be a better situation for us anyway. For those of you who switched from satellite to a streaming service like sling or ATT now, what has been your experience with this?
yeah, we are in the same situation and trying to figure this out. Hot spotting is not a good idea from your phone as it will use up your data really quickly and then any internet or connections will become very slow. Airstreams system is $1000 and I think that is a ripoff. Not sure how to get internet access either and I will definitely need it to work on the road and for hubby to watch TV.
PASi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
Larry,

The buffering on ATT TV NOW my questtion is your son's set up is he using Fire Stick or Roku or ??? I have had more trouble with Fire Stick as the interface between the TV and ATT NOW.

AIRTV box bandwidth. I used something similar to AIRTV box at the house for a couple of years. It took A LOT of bandwidth as it didn't "massage"
the signal before it sent it out. I am guess that is the case with the AIR TV box and why it says it needs 25mb up speed to use it else where.
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:21 PM   #126

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
The buffering on ATT TV NOW my questtion is your son's set up is he using Fire Stick or Roku or ??? I have had more trouble with Fire Stick as the interface between the TV and ATT NOW.

AIRTV box bandwidth. I used something similar to AIRTV box at the house for a couple of years. It took A LOT of bandwidth as it didn't "massage"
the signal before it sent it out. I am guess that is the case with the AIR TV box and why it says it needs 25mb up speed to use it else where.
I think they have a fire TV on their main TV, I was trying to watch a football game in another room which had a Roku. The Roku was the one buffering, but it was also connected after the Fire TV.

This is my question to those who have experience with the AirTV, do you experience buffering when viewing remotely? I think it may be caused by the upload speed from home more than anything else.

Tags
satellite, streaming tv service