Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #1

We've been watching this forum for a while and have gained much knowledge from you folks.

Alas, this knowledge has only increased the number of questions we have. But, this time, there is only one question. Respond at your peril--more questions may follow!

First, a little background info (just the facts, or as close as we can get to the facts).

In about a year, our plan is to start full-timing--and we do find ourselves in need of satellite service.

Our coach (see signature line) came with a KVH R4 dish with dome.

We currently have NO system provider.

We don't care about (nor want) an in-motion system.

We really want a DVR with the capability we have now (record two shows while watching one).

HD is a want, but not a need. We're quite happy as we are.

I want CNN, FOX NEWS, Discover, History, Travel, Food, Speed and Versus.

DW wants SCI-FI.

We are NOT interested in adding additional capabilities to the installed dish, or replacing it (at least at the prices we see at CW).

We are aware that, if we call DTV and tell them about our RV, they will sell us a tripod with a dish that will make all of our dreams come true. Well, maybe.

We have heard nothing (or at least we can't find anything) about any offers made by DISH along the same line.

So, to the question.

We would like to hear from those in the know, rather than a sales person on the phone, about what is available from DISH. Do they have a hardware offer similar to DTV?

Thanks,
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #2

We've been watching this forum for a while and have gained much knowledge from you folks.

Alas, this knowledge has only increased the number of questions we have. But, this time, there is only one question. Respond at your peril--more questions may follow!

First, a little background info (just the facts, or as close as we can get to the facts).

In about a year, our plan is to start full-timing--and we do find ourselves in need of satellite service.

Our coach (see signature line) came with a KVH R4 dish with dome.

We currently have NO system provider.

We don't care about (nor want) an in-motion system.

We really want a DVR with the capability we have now (record two shows while watching one).

HD is a want, but not a need. We're quite happy as we are.

I want CNN, FOX NEWS, Discover, History, Travel, Food, Speed and Versus.

DW wants SCI-FI.

We are NOT interested in adding additional capabilities to the installed dish, or replacing it (at least at the prices we see at CW).

We are aware that, if we call DTV and tell them about our RV, they will sell us a tripod with a dish that will make all of our dreams come true. Well, maybe.

We have heard nothing (or at least we can't find anything) about any offers made by DISH along the same line.

So, to the question.

We would like to hear from those in the know, rather than a sales person on the phone, about what is available from DISH. Do they have a hardware offer similar to DTV?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to IRV2 Steve.
We have been Full Timing for 2 years. We have DTV with DNS. I have a tripod setup that I bought on eBay. It is very easy to set up but of course a dome or roof mount would save me the ten minutes I spend setting up the tripod. We have one R15 DVR receiver so we can time shift the few hours of TV we actually like to watch. We have all the channels you mentioned you like. I can say I am very satisfied. Now if I could just warrant the expense for a datastorm internet setup, I'm be one happy camper.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #4

SSteve,
You are going to be overwhelmed with folks telling you that you should go with Dish Network....and then more telling you that you should go with DirecTV. It's kind of like the Ford/Chevy question. If you own one, you believe it to be the best.
At this particular moment in time you can get the HD signal from Dish Network with your dome but not from DirecTV. However, Dish Network is in the process of re-pointing 129 to better cover the West Coast and it appears that they will be using 61.5 to cover the East coast. At this point, no one really knows what this will mean for HD, Dish Net and domes.
A year from now when you are ready to travel someone here might be able to give you a better answer in that arena.
If you don't care about the HD signal then Dish and Direct are about the same except that you can get your programming plus the Distant Networks from DirecTV with one bill and you have to pay Dish Network and All American 2 separate bills for the same service.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
If you don't care about the HD signal then Dish and Direct are about the same except that you can get your programming plus the Distant Networks from DirecTV with one bill and you have to pay Dish Network and All American 2 separate bills for the same service. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There's an additional difference between Dish Network and DirecTV (assuming you aren't interested in HD programming): With DirecTV, programming is on one satellite, the 101. With Dish Network, programming is on two satellites, the 119 and the 110 (although the bulk of the programming is on the 119...we've been Dish Network customers in the past and never watched any programming on the 110 satellite).

Your dome *should* be capable of switching between 119 and 110, but there will be a lag between the time it moves from one satellite and acquires the signal for the second satellite. This may become a point of irritation for you.

PLUS, if you have two TVs set up where you can watch a different program on each, then if one person wants to watch a program on the 119 satellite, and the other person wants to watch a program on the 110 satellite, one of you is going to be SOL.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">PLUS, if you have two TVs set up where you can watch a different program on each, then if one person wants to watch a program on the 119 satellite, and the other person wants to watch a program on the 110 satellite, one of you is going to be SOL.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Love it Linda

Directv has almost everything on the 101 satellite-- except High Definition. Be sure to get the "Distant Signal Reception" package (I belive they call it DNS now). It takes a month, or so, to accomplish this.
You need to fill out a form, and include a copy of your RV registration. It will give you network TV all over the US-- no local channels though--

Best of luck,
Old 08-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would agree with what Max says in the above post. I have been a Directv customer for about l2 years, and am happy with service. I too have Distant Network Channels, works great. I have a roof dome, and carry a tri-pod mount also for when the dome is blocked by trees etc.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Be sure to get the "Distant Signal Reception" package (I belive they call it DNS now). It takes a month, or so, to accomplish this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just to clarify. DNS stands for Distant Network Services and from the time you submit the form and a copy of your RV vehicle registration you should have service up and running in less than 2 weeks.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Adams:
...from the time you submit the form and a copy of your RV vehicle registration you should have service up and running in less than 2 weeks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And if you fax the form to DirecTV, you could have DNS up and running within 24 hours. (I faxed our waiver and RV's registration using 208-363-6444 back in October 2006...as far as I know, this is still a valid number.)
Old 08-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #10

I was going to mention that option but I could not find the fax # anywhere. Thanks for the post. I will save that number for future reference as it is my understanding that this is still a valid number as well.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
One other feature that Dish has and DTV does not, is the ability to run the DVR 722 model receiver in Dual mode and watch different channels on two televisions. On the back of the DVR there is an output that goes to the second Tv. The remotes are RF and you can go to the bedroom and watch food network, and DW can watch SciFi in the LR.

I don't believe Direct can do that at present time and that you would need two receivers for direct to work that way.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote