Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #1

Dual Tuner OTA DVR

Does anyone know of a dual tuner over the air DVR that would be suitable for use in a motor home. Preferably one that doesnt use WiFi. I have a Winegard digital antenna and a two year old 4K Samsung TV. Ideally it would be good if the box had a coax input, a HDMI output to the TV and a optical audio out. Finally something that is not subscription based, as we will most likely be traveling.
I was looking at the TiVo Bolt but it wont record without a subscription and even the subscription would be a hassle if we are constantly on the move. As well I think I would require a international plan for the US and Canada.
Its looking like its a tall order from the checking Ive already done.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #2

It appears you can use the channel master stream + without a subscription fee.

This info says it will work (limited) with no internet if I read it correctly.

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc...ection-CM-7600
Old 10-15-2018, 01:52 AM   #3

Amazon is coming out with a box this month.
Will do OTA and internet for Netflix, etc. It will have two or four tuners and Hard drive in two capacities. No guide access fee.
Purchase price of $200(2 tuner) or $280 (4 tuner)
Old 10-15-2018, 03:21 AM   #4

Amazon IF A DVR

Amazon device is called RECAST. You can order pre-release now, availability Nov 14. Currently they have a package of new Firestick RECAST and digital
flat antenna for 249. A Firestick type device required to work Recast. Price for Recast by itself $229 and 4 channel $279. Antenna input from any antenna is coax. Connects to your tv via a Amazon Fire tv type device ( firestick fire tv etc). Connects between tv and RECAST is WiFi or Ethernet
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

I've been using this for several years now with great results.It requires a external usb hard drive for recording.
ePVision.com - One-Stop place for Full HD 1080p HDMI A/V Switcher Digital HDTV Tuner Receiver Media Box, HD Media Player, HDTV Tuner Set top Box, HDTV PVR Box and more...
Old 10-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #6

I checked on the Channel Master and somewhere there was fine print saying it doesnt work in Canada.
I will check out the other suggestions.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #7

the one i mentioned in post #5 receives Canadian tv. I'm 30 miles across the lake from Canada.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjb2 View Post
the one i mentioned in post #5 receives Canadian tv. I'm 30 miles across the lake from Canada.
I have the next generation of the same DVR as in post #5, and can confirm it also works in Canada. Canada uses the same ATSC standard as the US. It will also tune and record clear digital cable channels as well. It will also tune, but not record, analog cable channels. (No encoder.)

It has separate coax inputs for each tuner, so if wired appropriately, you can record one OTA channel and one digital cable channel at the same time. You can scan each tuner separately.

It does have its quirks.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #9

Thanks very much, looks like the EpVision should do the trick.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
Thanks very much, looks like the EpVision should do the trick.
Before you buy it, please understand that it does not include any guide data, other than what the broadcast stations provide for free. It does not work like a Tivo, which can search for your programs due to the subscription fee you pay.

The free guide data broadcast by the station only goes out about 8-10 hours. Not two weeks like Tivo or Directv. You need to tune to the specific station to get that guide data. You can't set up a recording days in advance. (You can set up repeat recordings, assuming the program will be on again next week at the same time.)

It does well at what it does. I have two of them! Just be aware of what it does not do too.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #11

I didnt want any guide data other that what is broadcast OTA. If I need more than that, I can always get it off the net. Its exactly what I was looking for as it has two tuners, HDMI out to my tv and optical output to go to my Marantz home theater receiver. All I have to do is run the optical audio line from the tv to the receiver and Ill have 5.1 stereo as well. My hearing is not that good anymore so having the sound coming from 5 speakers is much better than from two. I installed a Marantz 1403 with a sub woofer and the sound is amazing.
Just have to wait till we get to the US as we are leaving in about a week and there is a looming postal strike here so I dont want to have to wait for it to arrive.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #12

Good to hear. I didn't want you to buy it and get an unexpected shock.