Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #1

DVD's or CD's - making them. How?

Misleading a bit, because I know the "how," was looking for some input or additional information.

Presently own a small business and would like to add to our marketing the dimension of video to our sales.

I know that I can obtain the software and print out the labels on our present HP printers, however what I don't know is the availability of better equipment or systems for handling that task.

Would I be better off to "burn" my DVD's in a separate printer or computer drive, or stick with the peel n paste on printed labels?

This is not a high volume task that I am undertaking, likely will be at most just a few a week as the opportunity presents itself.

I am sure there are some of you out there that have already crossed this bridge and I am simply catching up.

Your input and thoughts are all valuable to me - thank you in advance

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I use software called ImgBurn (available free here) The Official ImgBurn Website
It creates "ISO" files on your hard drive, an ISO is an exact image of what is on a CD or DVD. It can also burn the iso's to disks. An easy way to copy a disk, or to create a master file for burning many disks in the future.

For commercial products, I really dislike the peel and stick labels. There are printers that can print directly on the disks, and there are of course "printable" disks.

If you are really serios about this, one of my customers, Corporate Disk Company in libertyville, IL will do lots as small as 100. Totally Pro manufaturing, including jewel cases and 4 color printed inserts.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
There are blank, printable, CD and DVD media. Plus there is the lightscribe disk.
The printable vestion are in ink and in heat transfer label type.

There are various special label printers for these disks.
I have a Primera type with inkjet.

At the office we have special burn station from Rimage but those are more expensive.

Lightscribe is not color capable but when the image is burned twice, they are better readable. (after burning the content, flip the disk over and burn the label)

Hope this helps, Gerard.
pa0gri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #4

Sounds like you guys support the "burn the label" onto the disk rather than peel and stick. Well - I really do prefer the more professional look and the peel and stick - well they just are a pain is all.

To that end - would you purchase a separate printer capable of doing this "burn" the label or do you prefer to burn it using your computer (I have a Samsung laptop using Win 7).

So - copy my video onto the disk and then flip it over the burn the label???

Thank you

God Bless

Bill
Old 01-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lightscribe Technology now offers colored background disks and not just the bronze/copper colored disk so there may be some more options for you in that area. Printing is still black and white on the label.

There are also "printable" dvd/cd's that have a complete white side of the disk that can be printed on with standard printers capable of printing to a cd label. I have a seven or eight year old Epson Stylus Photo R300 printer that has that capability. I have printed to both Lightscribe and Printable disks with success. I purchased a newer "External Super Multi DVD Rewriter," LG Model GE24L720 portable DVD/CD writer that is performs very well.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #6

One caution - make sure your customers know that the discs are not long-lfe laser etched archive quality like the commercial ones, but computer-generated on dye-based disks and have a limited life.

Also, there are some CD players out there that get the discs quite warm. In our last RV, the in-dash stereo was a Blaupunkt that had a warning note about discs getting hot. On one of my home-copied music CDs, the laser actually burned a hole in the white film and made it unplayable.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #7

In my opinion, the Epson printers do the best job when printing on the CD/DVD. I have several series 200 and 300 Epsons that have this feature and do a great job. These printers are no longer available new but have seen them on Craigs and EBay. Software disc has a label program included or if one was bought without the disc, it is available as a free download from Epson. Epson does sell a model 1400 that will do the labels. If you go this way, I would suggest buying a continous ink system to cut down your printing costs.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #8

I have heard from people who know more than I that press on labels for DVDs are not the best choice. Their rationale is that the DVD spins so much faster than a CD that small imbalances are magnified and can be problematic. YRMV

I just use a sharpie on mine, but they are for personal use.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #9

Understand.

While I have never had a problem with a peel and stick label on a DVD, I can see the potential for a problem and I certainly would feel badly should a customer have a problem with one of ours.

I would rather sidestep that potential entirely -

Thank you all for the heads up

God Bless

Bill
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #10

This is a FYI. If the disc's are left if a car or the sun, the paper can get a bubble that can cause lots of problems. CD's/DVD's come in various thicknesses and adding just the label can cause greif. Gave some music CD's to a person going on a road trip. They loaded the discs in the changer and due to the thickness they jammed. Tested with same make CD without label with no problems.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used almost all of those on the market and so far the light-scribe are the best and last the longest, and you never have to worry about the paper label getting jammed into your player.

If they are to be used only in a computer it really doesn't matter, but if you plan on having them in a player then that could create a problem for you as well as your customers.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have two dedicated CD or DVD "burners", once the master is made I can just duplicate them as needed without using my PC. My Epson Photo R220 printer has a carrier for the disks. Just need to design a label and feed the printable disk in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two programs, NERO and ROXIO which are both very good at both CD and DVD creation.. IF you you have a windows based computer odds are very good ROXIO was bundled with it, in fact Roxio is the default Windows CD/DVD creator

Rather than printing peal and stick labels, which at least in the case of CD's can and do cause issues with the disc jamming if fed into a slot feed player (Such as in a car) you might get a printer that is CD capable, Some HP models are, with mods a Canon IP04300 does (I know this for a fact) and some epsons though I'm not an Epson fan.

Then you get print-on Ink-Jet cd's. they are a bit "Thinner" in the plastic dept so they work fine in a car. I know that for the same reason I knwo an IP-4300 can be made to do the job.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are automated systems to handle this that use DVD/CD's specifically designed to be printed on by ink jet or laser. Checkout http://www.summationtechnology.com/ and give them a call - they can get you setup with a solution.