Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Emergency Weather Radio ?

Does anyone RV with an emergency weather radio, and do you have any recommendations. I've been told that you need to reset them to each new county that you travel through ? Sounds like a PITA.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I have emergency weather stations on my CB radio
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #3

Getting hit with an unexpected storm is a PITA.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #4

A number of various units out there. While we have one on the CB, it does not have an alert system. While you have to reset according to your county, it is worth the effort. General alert units will give you any alert "for anything" within the tower's broadcast area....in other workds a lot of alerts that may not apply to your location.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
ljr

I have one with the S.A.M.E code settings. That's the county by county thing. Not a huge hassle. I go to web page, get the code(s) I want and enter them on the radio. takes perhaps a minute or two. That cuts down on alerts I don't care about but I can set it to get everything.

It also lets me select what kind of alerts I want. For example, whether I want Amber alerts for lost kids.

I wouldn't be without it.
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #6

I have the weather band on my CB too. Take seconds to find the strongest signal, which is usually for the area you are in.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many very good Weather-All Hazard alert radios with SAME technology out there, The one I use is a Midland "Pocket size".

I recommend any such radio that has the ability to use an outside full size antenna since the better the antenna the better the reception. The one I have has a built in antenna and thus lmited range.. However since all my VHF radios have 162.55 give or take a bit programmed into memories 30 thorough 33 or 35 .. I can still use the big antennas outside.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of permeations of the same theme----CB's have them auto select---dedicated ones are small----read how they work most are easy---simple---fairly effective---and like most other stuff you get what you pay for--but even a spiffy one is not very expensive. If you think you need one don't leave home without it.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have the CB with several weather stations on it. And also Both phones with weather apps on them. If we are really worried then out comes the computers and depending on what might be coming (ie snow, ice, hurricane etc) it could be weather.com or NOAA.gov that we check. NOAA.gov is where all the other weather stations get most of their info anyway for major things like hurricanes so we go straight to the source for that stuff.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Jensen car radio that came in my moho has a weather band. I assume that it picks up a local broadcast as there is no way to adjust stations in WB mode.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #11

I have ones from Radio Shack in my MH and stick house. They were around $30.

You must have one that gives you an alert to be safe at night. Just being able to tune the channel is not enough.

When you get to your destination, just search for the channel (there are only seven of them) that comes in best. I wouldn't be without one.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Several iPhone and Android apps send alerts to your smart phone.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljr View Post
I have one with the S.A.M.E code settings. That's the county by county thing. Not a huge hassle. I go to web page, get the code(s) I want and enter them on the radio. takes perhaps a minute or two. That cuts down on alerts I don't care about but I can set it to get everything.

It also lets me select what kind of alerts I want. For example, whether I want Amber alerts for lost kids.

I wouldn't be without it.
This kind of radio works ok if you are parked in one place and can learn what county you are in. The problem with them is that they are set by county and meaningful alerts can be many miles away or in neighboring counties with storms headed your direction. Our winter home, for instance, is 60 miles from the farthest boundary. If you are trying to sleep on a stormy night it can get difficult with storms within 30 to 50 miles causing a warning to be issued. After a season of cowering in fear and doing without sleep, we decided that we would turn the darn thing off, check the radar before we go to bed, and then take our chances. We have 2 radios for the motorhome and 2 for the stick and brick. None have been turned on for four years.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding I-Phone and Android apps.

I used to work for the police.. And as a Ham Radio operator I would tune into skywarn frequencies on my personal radio.. I'd be sitting there and hear a warning go out that a tornado was spotted. I know for a fact that within one minute NOAA was notified and within a minute after that if you had a Weather Alert radio in the area YOU were notified.. And 30 minutes later as a police dispatcher.... I was notified (NOTE time is variable on that last) .

Your phone apps are like my police teletype.. It can take time for the host to get the alert, get off it's... g.maximus, and go type it into the alret system. NOTHIGN is faster than the Weather Alert radio save the spotter network.

Tags
radio