Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #1

Emerging RV related tech?

Which technologies are you most anticipating that you think will change the way you use and live in your RV? These can be products that are now on the market for the early adopters, or ones anticipated to be available in the not too distant future.

I will name 3 that I look forward to

1, low orbit satellite internet that does not require a fixed dish, such as the OneWeb project which may be operational by 2020

2, Lithium based batteries, sure they are here now, but projections are the prices will be falling rapidly over the next few years, much like solar panels have over the last 10-15 years, going from $5 per watt to under $.40 per watt today.

3, Propane powered fuel cells, these units convert propane into electricity through a catalytic reaction process using about 1/5 of the amount of fuel per KW as conventional generators. These are just now becoming available for early adopters, and one company is introducing a product for the RV/boat market this spring, they are also much quieter and lighter than conventional generators. The problem is they are still priced at $10,000 for a 1 to 1.5KW unit and have some downsides, such as 30-60 minute electricity consuming warm up time before they start generating power, plus they tend to generate rather high voltage DC anything from 50 - 200 volts DC.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 11:23 PM   #2

There is some new technology in solar powered air conditioning that looks very interesting. No more big generators to fire up the ol' Coleman on the roof
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #3

Thought I'd rain on this parade, its raining again here in N California!

The RV industry is not what I would call receptive to 'disruptive' technology.

Towables use leaf spring suspension that dates back to covered wagon days-drum brakes are turn-of-the century vs disc brakes. would anyone buy a car today with drum brakes? Plastic spring shackle bushings????

How about your RV furnace that makes more noise than a 727 a 1/4 mile away? Likewise, noisy A/C? New water heater technology? 12v DC converters that hum and boil your batteries dry in a week?

They kept installing those weak loud 4" vent fans until Fantastic Fans came along (still optional!). Holding tank monitors that don't (monitor, that is).

Absorption refrig that catches fire if run off level?

Undersize tires / axles that aren't rated for the load (check recalls!)

Ok, my morning pills are starting to kick in now, I feel better!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:51 PM   #4

Nothing says these things have to be factory installed, lots of people add accessories to their RV's ranging from Satellite dishes to SeeLevel tank monitors.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wings...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #6

I would say more light weight materials getting cheaper and making their way into the industry. Trailers and rvs are much lighter now than their previous cousins. Im sure there is more to come on this in the future. How about a roof membrane that has solar panels built right into them.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
A self-driving RV would be great. Self-driving is ideal for the rv application -- have a beverage, watch the game, oogle the scenery, all while the rv drives itself. Awesome.....
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Self-driving would be great! Before then, I'd like to see collision avoidance systems like some cars now have.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Active Cruise Control with look ahead radar like my car has now. It will reduce your speed as you approach a vehicle in front of you or slow you down if someone pulls into your lane. I love it, and it's much safer since it's 100% focused on what's going on right in front of you.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:12 AM   #10

True Quality Control AT FACTORY

UNIT doesn't leave factory unless it PASSES real inspection

I know not high tech but sorely needed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
True Quality Control AT FACTORY

UNIT doesn't leave factory unless it PASSES real inspection

I know not high tech but sorely needed
X2 on Quality
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #12

I wish the manufacturers would embrace spray on roof covering. No putty, no seams, no fear of it coming apart. Tech exists but might cut into their profits, I guess.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about something as simple as a dvd for each model of RV & Trailer that a new buyer could watch to familiarize how everything works.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 2005 Monaco came with a DVD explaining all systems and PDF copies of the owners manuals. My 2014 Winnebago came with a printed manuals but I have created PDF copies of all system manuals. It would be nice if you spend $400K on a coach a flash drive or DVD would have been appreciated. How about a iPad with everything on it. Many car manufacturers are providing them on cars less expensive.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote