Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
EVDO Upgrade

Hey guys! I was proudly using my VZ727 when all of a sudden I happened to be walking in the Coastal Grand Mall here on the beach and I was presented with an opportunity that I believe I could not pass up.

My contract for the 727 was up and I was also looking for a new phone ... more about the phone later.

The salesperson there, now "My Account Manager", presented a new USB aircard device called a UMW190 Global Ready USB Modem. the SKU on this modem is UMW190NCD. The copyright on it is dated 2010 and it now supports Windows7.

I was told that this is the 727 replacement and that the features of this card are better than the 727 it replaces. I was told that it should make a more robust connection and that the transfer rate is better.

I'm going to be plugging this thing into my MBR-1000 CradlePoint Router at some point to give it a workout. I am trying to divorce myself from having to keep my Telco DSL Modem and save a little money.

I have 30 day $$ back guarantee ... should I keep it?

By the way the price was right. In between my new phone and a new aircard it will have cost me a little over $50.00 plus local taxes. I'm eligible for $150.00 in rebates.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I am trying to divorce myself from having to keep my Telco DSL Modem and save a little money.
Air Card = 5gb a month limit

DSL = unlimited

Correct?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Air Card = 5gb a month limit

DSL = unlimited
Dirk, I believe you are right but I don't pull down 5GB per month on a good month.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No?

I thought you were a power user.

I can easily go over 5gb without trying.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I can easily go over 5gb without trying.
Are you downloading movies or what? Just wanted to know what's taking up all that 5GB that you're consuming.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The sales person was blowing smoke at you, though probably out of ignorance. The UMW190 uses EVDO Rev A, just like the 727, so won't be any faster/better on the Verizon network than your old cell modem. The main feature of the UMW190 is its ability to use GSM networks as well as CDMA. That would be useful if you left the US and went to Europe, where most networks are GSM. AT&T's US network is GSM too, but they aren't about to let Verizon subscribers roam on it!

Strictly speaking, the replacement for the USB 727 is the USB 760, a newer model of the same modem from Novatel. However, all the Verizon cell modems are pretty much compatible. Just make sure your MBR-1000 has device support for whatever model modem you choose. You may have to update the router software to get support for the newest modems.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Driver, if you hadn't already purchased it I'd say wait, because 4G is just around the corner. As a matter of fact my Verizon aircard is also up for renewal. The Verizon rep at the local store near our house, recommended I wait a few months, because of the 4G buildout.

Sprint has already released their 4G network. Although it's not available everywhere yet, if works automatically on 4G or drops to 3G where 4G isn't available. Sprint's 4G is much higher speed then 3G and the big kicker is it's unlimited, unlike the 5-Gb limitation of 3G.

Verizon's 4G is just around the corner. But rumor's are their not going to be totally unlimited. Apparently some type of multiple usage plan. Depending on what Verizon does, I may just switch to Sprint. Although their network isn't as robust as Verizon's it's getting bigger and bigger every month.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You aren't going to see much 4G outside of major metro areas in 2011, Or 2012 either. And its not likley to be a free upgrade either. On the other hand, that 727 will keep chugging along. No real need to replace it until 4G is available where you are.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Verizon Wireless 4G LTE rollout on track

Verizon Wireless LTE
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
The sales person was blowing smoke at you, though probably out of ignorance. The UMW190 uses EVDO Rev A, just like the 727, so won't be any faster/better on the Verizon network than your old cell modem.
Gary, I was running the UMW190 in my MBR-1000 and I did not notice ANY improvement whatsoever. At least it would appear that it's not any worse. The upgrade cost me less than $10.00 and I got a $50 Visa rebate card.

The 190 is a lot cleaner looking product and the USB socket folds up inside it's own body. Even with the imminent release of 4G, I expect that I will run the 190 for another 2 year contract before any significant infrastructure is in place that supports VZ 4G.

I have a 30 day money back guarantee .... .... in your opinion should I take it back?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Not at that price. By the time 4G service is widely available outside the big cities, you will be ready for another one anyway.

I warned there would be no improvement - the UMW can't run any faster than the 727 because both work exactly the same way.

Tags
cradlepoint, evdo