Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #1

Experience with Verizon Galaxy S6 phone

I'm looking to up-grade my Verizon flip phone to a higher technology phone and am looking at the S6. Started with the S5 but found out with the lollipop software upgrade battery life is greatly limited and practically has to be either kept on a charger or charged several times a day.
But reading some reviews on the S6 about half list a pro for battery life and the other half show a con as battery life.

Does anyone use the S6 and do you have any pros or cons for it?

Also, Wal Mart is about 1/2 the price for this phone as the Verizon store but am wondering what kind of service (like transferring all the speed dial numbers from the old phone) that W M would be able to do. Any experience here?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I upgrade the end of the year from an S4 to an S6. The battery life is twice as long as my S4 was. I can go all day and still have better than 40% at the end of the day. I am very satisfied.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I have the S5 and have no problem going 12 to 18 hours on a battery charge. Don't know where you got the info about battery useage for the S5
Old 02-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #4

One thing to keep in mind is that evidently on the S6 you can't easily replace the battery. That's one reason I'm keeping my S5. If your battery is not hanging in there then I would look into buying a new one for it. They are extremely easy to replace. Check out Gorilla Gadgets for extended power batteries.....and good luck.

http://gorillagadgets.com/collection...lular-metropcs
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I have the S5 and have no problem going 12 to 18 hours on a battery charge. Don't know where you got the info about battery useage for the S5
+1 ... I go all day with my S5 no problems. The S6 does have a few new features like built in wireless charging, but keep in mind a couple serious changes. The S6 does not allow you to pop it open and replace the battery. Also, you can't add extra memory since there is no micro SD slot. Buy it with enough memory because that is all you will have.
For wireless charging I bought a $25 kit for the S5. You pop the back open and put a simple little "antenna" on top of the battery. Snap the back on and from that point just rest the phone on its wireless charger. It charges as needed and then stops charging automatically. Consider pro's / con's carefully since you will probably have the phone for a couple years.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I just checked Consumers Report where they have evaluated 35 smart phones.
The Samsung S5 is at the very top with battery life rated as excellent. The LG G4 rated second and the Samsung S6 as third. CR has long write-ups on each phone with lots of detail.

CAUTION: If you do go to Verizon, make sure it's a corporate store and NOT a "Premium Retailer". I really got burned by one and since have found lots of bad reviews on them.

I just upgraded to the LG V10 from a LG G2 because I like the larger screen (good for senior citizens). Wow the camera is just phenomenal. And the newer 4G LTE on Verizon is blazing speed. I was adding old apps to the new phone and 36 Mb downloads were taking just a couple of seconds. I did speed check a few times and it measured 78 Mbit download speed..... never seen anything close to that speed before. My wife upgraded from Samsung Note 2 to Note 5; she likes the using the pen (stylus).
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No problems with my S6.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Screen brightness has a big affect on battery life, and how much you use the screen as opposed go talking on thd phone.

S6 comes with more memory, but you can also plug a flash drive inyi the USB connector and offload files.

The nicest thing fir us is the faster response on the camera.

Regards,
Dan
Old 02-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have the S5 and I can go all day on 50% of the battery, then every night I plug it in to the fast charger and it's fully charged in about 30 minuets.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
While reading the S5 reviews on the Verizon web site several reviewers stated that after lollipop was loaded their battery life cratered. Had to charge the battery at least 2 times every day. When I questioned the lady in the Verizon store she agreed and said since the software in S5 was older it took lots of battery to upgrade it and keep it running. She did inform me that the battery could not be changed in the S6, which was kind of a shock to hear that about any battery powered product.
I supposed the S6 has not been out long enough to know how long the battery will actually last through lots of charges.
My little Samsung flip phone only has to be charged maybe just once a week and sometimes not that often so it would be hard for me to be charging a phone several times a day.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
While reading the S5 reviews on the Verizon web site several reviewers stated that after lollipop was loaded their battery life cratered. Had to charge the battery at least 2 times every day. When I questioned the lady in the Verizon store she agreed and said since the software in S5 was older it took lots of battery to upgrade it and keep it running. She did inform me that the battery could not be changed in the S6, which was kind of a shock to hear that about any battery powered product.
I supposed the S6 has not been out long enough to know how long the battery will actually last through lots of charges.
My little Samsung flip phone only has to be charged maybe just once a week and sometimes not that often so it would be hard for me to be charging a phone several times a day.
I have the OS lolipop and the phone runs all day
Old 02-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #12

I have an S5 as well and have no issues with the battery.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #13

All this is certainly pleasant news about the S5 battery life. I didn't think I would relish a phone that the battery couldn't be changed. I had to get a new battery for the wife's flip phone after 6-7 years so I know they do need replacing occasionally.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #14

S7 coming out shortly

Samsung is supposed to be announcing the S7 this month (Feb 21st?) with delivery starting in March .

Rumored specs include a removable battery and SD card again, although we won't know for sure until the announcement.

You may want to wait a few weeks and see what happens. S6's may go down in price some when not the latest phone.
treehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon