Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 12:13 AM   #1

External speaker replacement suggestions wanted

I found a blown cone on my 5.25 jensen external speaker. -model jensen MS5006W. Assume it was original stock -

I found some good speakers i wanted to get but they were 2.5" deep and the existing are 1.5".

So wondering if folks replace in kind with Jensen, or are there other brands/models that others have found to be of better quality & sound?

Thanks
TrollMeister

TrollMeister, wife n mud pig(yellow lab)
Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500
TrollMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had Jensen stuff on the last several units we've had. Based on the sound I don't believe they make some of the better quality units out there.

If I had to find a replacement for a Jensen speaker and maybe wanted something better I'd go to some of the forums that deal in the area of higher quality stereo equipment and get some opinions or recommendations.

You might even try a place like Best Buy. They cater to the higher end car stereo market. They also have a large display of speakers in their stores. The technicians who install the systems in the back area can I'm sure advise you on a replacement speaker. As long as they will fit into the space and the ohm rating is the same any better quality speaker will work. Back when I knew a little more about the stuff I believe most speakers like that were rated at an 8 ohm impedance. Maybe the technology has changed but it's still important to get speakers that match the original.

TeJay
Old 07-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

Looked at best buy.com as the nearest store is 1hr away. All external option looked as cheap as the original, plus the site doent list the depth, and i dont want to drill into my cabinet walls!!

Most options out there at amazon and ebay are 2.5" deep and the trailer needs 1.5".

Anyone else have suggestions?

Thanks

Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500
Old 07-05-2015, 11:07 PM   #4

How important is sound quality to you? Do you have room expand the diameter of the speakers to 6 1/2, 7, etc.? If you don't mind spending some coin, and making some mod's, even if you have to add a spacer on the outside wall to allow for deeper speakers. Then the a look at sites like Crutchfield. For example, they have a JL two way (and unless you're going to separate components and an amp, two way is what I'd recommend). Like:

JL Audio M770-CCX-CG-WH 7.7" marine speakers with white "Classic Grilles" at Crutchfield.com

This is 3 3/16 deep, so a spacer the side would be needed. It has a decent crossover, and is relatively efficient at 91 dB. Good quality construction. My BIL has these in the cockpit of his fishing boat, and they put out some good sound.

But, it all depends on how important eh tunes are to you, and how much PITA you want to go into for an install.

Another option would be to abandon them, and go with one of the rechargeable bluetooth speakers systems, that you set outside when you want to have some tunes.

Same BIL, has a pair that he used inside an older trailer, and then moves outside when he wants the tunes... Paired with his phone.

Best of luck on your decision choices!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

Thanks, may consider enlargement but 3.5 may be too deep, think i could get away with one 1" spacer ring at most.

Btw what does BIL stand for? Still learning shorthand lingo.

Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500
Old 07-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollMeister View Post
Thanks, may consider enlargement but 3.5 may be too deep, think i could get away with one 1" spacer ring at most.

Btw what does BIL stand for? Still learning shorthand lingo.

Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500

It is a strange language.... BIL = Brother in Law...

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement