Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fleetwood Storm satellite antennae for direct TV

I apologize for being on here so much. But, we bought our first MH less than a month ago and I have been trying to get it in top shape before we use it. So far, I have replaced the dry-rotted tires @$700 (including bead balance) and the two coach batteries @$216. Repaired the generator @$880. Replaced roof vents and resealed @$243. Had Factory recall fixed on microwave for no charge and ordered a new colored backup camera and monitor system today @$580. The only remaining item I know of that we want and will get in near future, is a satellite antennae for direct TV. I want one that is as automatic as possible. We aren't interested in HD or DVR. Any ideas appreciated.
Herb matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the world of RV ownership, Herb! Now get out your wallet!! (You will get used to that eventually.) No need to apologize for being here...that's the purpose of the forum. You'll be helping newbies before you know it.

I don't know anything about satellite antennas, but I have moved your post to the technology board so someone smarter than me can help you.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #3

Herb, welcome!

You need to decide if you want to obtain Sat signals while driving down the road or just while you're parked and setup. There is a variety of "automatic" sat dishes you can obtain based upon your price range, and of course if you want Hi-def or Standard Def. Everyone says they want standard def then decide later to go to Hi-def :-)

For non in-motion I have installed numerous Winegard Trav'ler antennas and everybody seems very happy with their performance. It's a regular "home" sized dish for better reception in inclement weather and of course some tree/foilage perhaps in your way. Hi-def on Dish Network and DirecTV both, and supports multiple receivers.

Satellite RV - Winegard TRAV'LER Automatic Multi-Satellite HDTV Antennas

For in-motion I've installed several of the Wingard RoadTrip sat systems. Keep in mind that these dishes are much smaller and more affected by inclement weather and obstructions such as trees/foliage depending upon where/how you're parked.. and will not receive Hi-Def on DirecTV - only Dish Network and Bell, and only supports up to 2 receivers.

There is also KVH (Mobile Satellite, Guidance, and Stabilization Systems from KVH Industries). Again, much smaller dish, more prone to reception troubles, but KVH is also a very popular and good brand.

There are smaller, less permanent options too such as the VuQube: (http://www.kingcontrols.com/vu_qube/vuqube.asp)

My personal opinion is to use the largest dish possible and avoid those contained in domes or even the carry-out types such as the VuQube. The domed (whether in-motion or sitting stationery) and or Qube units all have much smaller dish surface areas and are more prone to hit-and-miss reception if you have any overhead obstructions at all such as low hanging tree branches, foilage or even heavily clouded skies - Not because of the manufacturer but simply based upon the physical size of the dish itself.

All good stuff, many options.. As stated by SarahW above.. if you want automatic, get out your wallet!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
94 Newmar:
Thank you so much for your informative response. Based on your expertise, I think the Winegard Trav'lar Automatic would suit my needs best. More expensive, but I know you get what you pay for.
What do you think it would cost to have it installed and who does that kind of work? Thanks again.
Herb matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #5

I don't know what shops charge. If you were anywhere near central Ohio I'd do it for you for a couple of pizzas :-)

Tags
fleetwood, satellite