Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #1

Question Flexible TV cable - where to buy one?

This may sound stupid but I'm really tired of the standard TV cable that is stiff and gets bent and won't roll up. I've searched Ebay and other places for a flexible cable but can't find one. Does anyone know where to get one that is like an extention cord and is flexible?
thanks
MRBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I think this is one of those "Be careful what you wish for" moments. Coax cable is stiff because it's designed to channel RF frequencies and it's designed for permanent installation. If you get a replacement that isn't manufactured to the same specifications, you'll get a lot of signal loss.

joe
Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #3

Coax cable by design has a stiff nylon or plastic core, a braided shield for good ground. A coiled or telephone type coax would be very difficult to roll up or would have to sacrifice the insulation from RF interference.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By definition every TV antenna cable designed to be used with an F connector (see link for picture) will have a solid center copper conductor surrounded by a plastic insulator. See the Wikipedia entry Coaxial cable for more information. RG-6 (approx 0.27" diameter) and RG-59 (approx 0.146" diameter) are the most common TV cables. The center wires are 1mm (18 gauge) and 0.81mm (20 gauge) in diameter.

Given the solid center wire and stiff insulator it is no wonder that TV cable is hard to handle. The solution is to learn how to coil the cable by alternating the twist as you coil it. This technique can be used for any cable, rope, or wire, and helps eliminate kinking and coiling when the cable is used the next time.

Below are several videos that show how to coil a stiff cable using an alternating loop technique:

FAQ: How to Properly Coil Cables

PS: be thankful you don't have to deal with transmission cables that have a copper tube inner conductor and a copper tube for the shield. Since this cable can be 1/2" to 1.5" in diameter it is more like dealing with copper pipe than cable.

alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies and the video. My TV antenna has a soft flexible cable and works well. Is there a difference from an antenna cable to a cable hook up?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB
This may sound stupid but I'm really tired of the standard TV cable that is stiff and gets bent and won't roll up. I've searched Ebay and other places for a flexible cable but can't find one. Does anyone know where to get one that is like an extention cord and is flexible?
thanks
I've used a thin, flexible coax cable made by Monster Cable for over 10 years. No problems. I don't remember if the part number is the same, but here's a link to get you started:

http://www.shopwiki.com/l/Monster-Ca...7EBLK%7E250%29
Old 02-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
F connectors are a pain

If you have ever had problems with F connectors, screwing them on or removing them, there are a couple of things that you can do to make it easier.

1. Use a F connector tool: Eagle F Connector Removal Tool

Here is another vendor: Amazon.com: F Connector Removal Tool: Electronics

Another style: Amazon.com: F-CONNECTOR INSTALLATION/REMOVAL TOOL

2. Use a cable with push on F connectors. These are easy to use, but do come off more easily is knocked and may require you to periodically pinch the outside of the shield in order for it to grip better. You can even buy adapters that will fit your current screw on F connectors.

Example of screw on connector:

Example of push on F connector adapter:

3. Use a F connector cable that has built-in handles to aid screwing the connector on. I have seen them, one was included with my Mothers cable TV hookup. See no longer has it so I can't take a picture and cannot seem to find and example on the Internet.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Thanks for the replies and the video. My TV antenna has a soft flexible cable and works well. Is there a difference from an antenna cable to a cable hook up?
Sir, check at best buy, they have what you are looking for. I am not sure how its made, it looks like a soft RG6 coax cable but is is flexable. I have a 20 foot section of it for my home system. It runs from my old VCR Coax connector (They do not have HDMI) to my Sony Coax connector. Every thing else is HDMI, but it sure works good on an old VCR no single lost issue that I can tell. Worth a try anyway. Hope this helps.

George
Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #9

Roll Your Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by BichonLover View Post
I've used a thin, flexible coax cable made by Monster Cable for over 10 years. No problems. I don't remember if the part number is the same, but here's a link to get you started:

Monster Cable Black Mini Coax 250ft (MCX-BLK-250)
Monster cables are on the pricey side and there seem to be no specs on their various cables.

I like bulk cable from A1 Components:
Skyline RG-6 Quad DUAL SC, UL 500ft, black - a1Components

A1 lists all the specs so you know what you're getting. This is a good summary of various RG6 types:
RG6 Coaxial Cable - HDTV rated RG6 cable available in duobond and quad shield coaxial

Instead of crimp on, I use compression connectors instead because of their durability:
Coax Connectors - RG11, R6, RG59 Coax Connectors - a1Components
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many types of coax cable, different "nunbers" have different qualities, Some, IE: RG-58 are 52 ohm impedance, not good for TV, others (59) 72 ohm Used forsi tv.

Some are physically larger (rg-6 is larger than 59) some have higher or lower loss per unit length (againh RG-6 has lower loss)

Some are more flexible. Belden - Sending All The Right Signals

Makes most types of coax cables, their web page should help you find a re-seller.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #11

Thanks for all the advice!