RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: what is your opinion of the Dish Network?
Very Happy! 38 80.85%
A little happy 6 12.77%
A little unhappy 2 4.26%
I hate it! 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
For current or former Dish users!

I have just made a deal with Dish to change from Direct TV. I would like your honest opinion of the Dish network, reliability, ease of operation, service when you have a problem, etc.

You are probably saying "you're a little late asking these questions!". Yes and no. I can still back out up until the installation is done on Sept. 7th.

Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #2

4-seasons under our belt with DISH and all is well. only issues were me ass-uming stuff during the first season and those were quickly dealt with. overall i have found the DISH techs to be competent and friendly. most of my contacts with them in 4-years have been to change service location for local channels but now that i can do that on the app.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #3

We have had dish since 2012 in the rv. Liked it so much, dumped Comcast in the house and have dish there with the Hopper. Much better and cheaper then Comcast. Heavy rain storms you loose the signal till it passes. Comcast could be days!
One other thing I like. If within 200 miles from home you get your home channels. I get them in Gettysburg, Pa and Rhinebeck, NY and I love outside Phila in South Jersey.
A32Deuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:12 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't remember how many years I have been with Dish, but the few times I have had a problem, they have gotten me straightened out quickly. Usually only takes a few minutes to change locals when traveling. We use Dish on the road and at home.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been Dish customer for 15-20 years. We take our home receiver with us when we travel.

Technical problems, I can't recall ever having any issues. I have a good understanding of their systems, antennas, and receiver. I use a home style antenna and LNB on a tripod when we travel, never had any problems setting up and aiming.

Using our home Dishnet VIP222 receiver while on the road – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
We got Dish in 1998. Soon after we had it at our home and on our RV.

Over the years it got more and more expensive. We dumped Dish entirely in 2017. The last 3-years it was costing over $200 a month and 3/4ers of the channels were worthless “content” mostly advertising. To get the mixture of channels the whole family watched we had to buy the “Americas Everything” package, plus locals and PBS. Plus we had 5-DVRs - some owned, some rented.

We changed to streaming, via Roku devices, everywhere. We spend about $45 a month now, and only pay for the shows we want to watch.

We’d never go back.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #7

had dish for 20 years, new stick house had dtv so changed to dtv. After 2 years of hair pulling, I’m going back to dish
ATT is a multi headed monster...takes hours on phone to get anything done
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Joe,
We have been DISH users for 20 years or so. Had DTV, had Comcast, and switched to DISH and never looked back.

We have the Hopper 3 at the house and Wally in the MH. If you are full time I would suggest the Hopper 3 for the MH. It can record 16 channels at one time. Makes the DW happy not to miss any of her shows and gives you some leeway for your shows. Add a JOEY to the back BR and you have a retreat to watch what you want when the other TV is "busy." If you both watch the same things, no probelm.

If you have just the MH account you will be able to change your locations ZIP code using the DISH App. If you have a residential account and the "outdoor" account with DISH you will have to call each time you want to change your local channels. That is not a DISH decision from what I understand, but an FCC regulation. DISH is trying to change it but they have not been successful.

If you do have a residential account you can also sign up for their 1 time payment of $40 and get an external 2Gb or more hard drive and transfer any recorded programs to it and take the hard drive with you when you travel.This is assuming you have a DVR at the house and the Wally or other receiver in the MH. It will also record programs off of the Wally and other receivers. As stated, the Hopper 3 is the better system but if you don't have a Traveler 1000 you will only record 1 channel at a time on a DOME system.

Lots of possibilities, what are you going with for a receiver.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been with Dish a long time, there have been times when we have been very happy with the service and times that we were ready to tell them goodbye. We have found that solving problems a lot depends on which tech you are connected with when you call. Some are very good, and some are not so good. We have at times have had to ask to speak with a person that knows RVís to find the answer to our problem.

Tomorrow we are going to have a hopper 3 with sling and a joey installed in our new to us bus, hopefully we will luck out with a tech that knows something about an install in a RV.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Changed over a couple of years ago. First year Iíd give it a a ten. After 7. Only reason, we follow OKC Thunder basketball. Which was free on Direct. I was told it would be on Dish. It wasnít I called raised cain and got it. No such luck year two. I do get it if we have good internet watching Fox Sports Now
Old 08-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Very happy with our Tailgater and Wally in the rv.

Switched from DTV in April....should have done it when ATT bought them.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #12

I have had Dish for at least 5 years now and have never had a reason to contact them for any issues. I do take a 211Z receiver from home and use a Pathway X2 antenna which picks up both the East and West satellites where ever I travel
danny285 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mostly happy with Dish. They can be trying at times with phone support. Just hang up and call back and get a different rep. Also, with a Winegard antenna, they are better support than Dish.

They just want to shuffle you off to a single receiver and a tailgater antenna....not the best choice in my opinion.

Ken
Old 08-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #14

I am a fulltimer. Had Dish in my 5er. When I traded to my Used Class A it already had the DirecTv Travler so I switched. Only issue is the difficulty changing locations. It was easier with Dish. May breakdown a get the conversion kit and change back to Dish in the near future.

TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish