Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Free 4G

NetZero offering free 4G with low data limits.

Free 4G mobile broadband offering from Net Zero

Might be good for navigation, email, light usage.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
All of this time and almost 114 views and no replies. I bet that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Coverage is pretty limited. Won't work for me. What network do they ride on? I use Virgin Mobile 1Gb plan from WalMart for $20/mo, so that is competitive for a decent amount of data. I use almost 1G per month.
When it works. Virgin Mobile runs on Sprint, and even though they are a subsidiary of Sprint, VM customers (maybe WalMart especially?) get leftovers on available bandwidth. I have no internet about half of each day, or it takes about 5 to 20 minutes to load each web page. Considering the RV park internet rarely works, I have none to merely bad service here.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
All of this time and almost 114 views and no replies. I bet that if something looks too good to be true, it probably is.
You can stick YOUR head in the sand, but this is the real deal. Clark Howard is a well known consumer advocate who has everything to lose by steering people wrong on stuff like this. It's no scam, and not much risk.

I looked into it. You have to buy a $50 USB modem, or a $100 hotspot from them. Then the service (4G) is free with a low (200MB) data cap. They only guarantee the free service for 12 months, but there is NO contract, so no obligation other than the hardware you buy (and own).

They have other upgraded plans available, which is what they are hoping you will upgrade to. $35/mo for 2GB data (no contract) ain't bad.

I'm gonna get one on the $10/mo plan and see if it'll work to fill the gaps between free hotspots. (email, google maps, etc)
Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
You can stick YOUR head in the sand, but this is the real deal.
Ramblin, No I didn't want to do that exactly but what I did accomplish is that we got this issue being responded to.

I would think that it would be a natural progression that if you needed more time per month that there would be an upcharge. No contract is a plus.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Ramblin, No I didn't want to do that exactly but what I did accomplish is that we got this issue being responded to.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #7

The price is right, but how is the coverage? Is there a coverage map available by chance? I am going to dig into this a bit.
sparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #8

Cheaper just to get a Virgin Mobile from Wal-Mart and just pay as you go. 250MB isn't much.Virgin offers a 1GB for $20/month when you want to use it. Nothing to let it sit.
Sprint network.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NetZero - Internet Service - 4G Mobile Broadband - DSL - ISP - Wireless Internet Access - Free Internet - Cheap Data Plan - Mobile Hotspot

There is hardly any coverage
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ramblin.... Get back to us after you've used it for a while.

I'd be curious to learn how their coverage is from someone who uses it rather than a salesperson's claims.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #11

Their coverage map is right on their front page. For the price, it is hard to complain, and if you're staying in a metro area you will likely have service, but that is about it. I do not think I will be obtaining this even for a backup service.

NetZero - Internet Service - 4G Mobile Broadband - DSL - ISP - Wireless Internet Access - Free Internet - Cheap Data Plan - Mobile Hotspot
sparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Well, I read the coverage map to be '4G coverage', knowing that 4G is not as widely available as 3G and lesser bandwidths. So I called Netzero to verify that their 3G coverage would be more widespread and therefore more useful to us RVers.

They told me that they ONLY offer 4G coverage, and that if you travel outside a coverage area, you would have no service. They then asked me what my zipcode was, and proceeded to hard-sell me based on the fact that my home area is covered.

I calmly pointed out that I already have broadband at my home, and that the value of MOBILE broadband to me is that it can be used while MOBILE.

Conclusion: This service will not be useful to me as a reliable broadband solution, however some of us may benefit if we stay in areas that are covered.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
rca

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So ... anybody out there using NetZero 4G? How is it?

They've got a 50% off sale on the stick just now but the $19.95 shipping and handling chgs are a bit pricy.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
rca

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can now answer my own question ... it does work but not everywhere in the area they say they have coverage. I found that it worked great in the local McDonald's lot but the wifi is free there so why pay for this!
I wanted to use the service instead of the park wifi for the winter months we are spending in Florida but it did not work in the park location, even though it is in the coverage area and the 'support' people stated that there was coverage at the actual address.
And, with their no refund policy, you are out the investment because you agreed to their terms when you paid. So, buyer beware!