Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #15

32GB per day equates to 1TB (TeraByte) per month

I'm with Bubwheat on this... No way!

Maybe 32GB per month?
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I know quite a few people that use way more than 30 gig of data a month. We use more than that ourselves, especially when Thom has to deal with CAD drawings for work.
Thom and Christine, are you on the Millenicom plan or how do you navigate the Internet waters with the work that Thom (and you?) do?
exploring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #17

That calc is wrong. No way you are using 32gb a day. Maybe 32gb a month, and even then I would say that is high.

I am approx 20gb per month and not far off on your usage.
srt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We now have a Verizon 4G router. It seems to be a bit better at picking up a signal than a MiFi or phone used as a hotspot. I have no problem with signal strength through out the coach or even outside of it within reasonable range.

Downside is it only works with a 4G signal so if you are in a 3G area, it won't help. However, since I have a wireless printer and hard drive the router (Net Gear makes this) still serves a purpose. When we run into service less than 4G we use our Iphones as a hot spot for essential internet work. Internet on 3G can be a bit slower than I can tolerate. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
If you're really using that much data I'd recommend getting TWO cellphone plans with Millenicom.

We have the 20Gb/mo Millenicom plan which runs on the Verizon network...great coverage and covers our fulltime work needs completely. We have a Wilson Sleek and Wilson Trucker Antenna to boost the signal when in marginal areas. The Millenicom 20Gb hotspot is EXACTLY the same device you would get if you signed-up for a direct Verizon plan. It has EXACTLY the same coverage and exactly the same features. What you get with Millenicom is around 4x more data for price you'd pay at Verizon direct. We've had this device for over 6 months now. Can't recommend it enough.

If we were using more data than this I'd be looking at getting an additional hotspot on the Millenicom unlimited plan which runs on the Sprint network. Sprint coverage is very poor outside of major cities, but you could use this plan when in coverage areas and fall-back on the Verizon plan when out-of-coverage areas. Between the two I think you could make it work.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I follow another blogger who's written more detail about internet on the road, specifically for full-time work. Definitely recommend their "Mobile Internet Handbook" which will take you through all the options:
Technomadia
Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #21

We've been working remotely on the road for over 7 years now, and we tend need to use a lot of data between supporting our clients, remoting into our servers, downloading developer tools and handling graphics/video files.

Our current arsenal is:

- 20GB Millenicom 4G hotspot plan on Verizon
- 10GB tetherable via our AT&T shared plan on our iPhones
- Unlimited AT&T data plan via a grandfathered in iPad (no tethering, use it mainly for streaming video via HDMI cable)
- TopSignal 5db cellular booster for 3G situations, and a Wilson Sleek 4G for boosting the Verizon hotspot
- WiFiRanger Go and Sky for pulling in WiFi hotspots (posting this message via that right now) and for routing all our various inputs fairly seamlessly.
- HughesNet satellite tripod setup, that we activate when we know we're going out in the boonies.
- When we really need to focus and get lots of work done online, we've been known to find mobile home parks with RV spots, where we can subscribe to cable internet for a while.
- A box of wine (when all else fails...)

As far as your questions about speed and coverage - that's highly variable. All of the carriers are aggressively rolling out LTE right now - so the places you can get high speed connections changes daily. A lot of the national parks tend to have only limited access, but the more popular ones tend to have more these days. 'Boonies' and fast cellular coverage only cross paths on occasion - we rejoice when find that combo.

For knowing where we'll get coverage on our various networks, we actually wrote an iPhone/iPad app for that called Coverage?, that overlays the coverage maps for the 4 major carriers. It helps us plan our routing and stops, and know what direction to head when we have no coverage.

As WheelingIt mentioned above (thank you Nina!), we just released a book on this topic that shares our lessons learned of internet on the road, what works, what doesn't, why and make recommendations for various scenarios. (The Mobile Internet Handbook)

We also have an illustrated diagram and explanation of our mobile internet setup at:
Illustrated Mobile Internet Gadgetry for RVers | Technomadia

Enjoy.. it's fun out there! But there are definitely trade-offs for connectivity.

- Cherie
Technomadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
At the moment we are staying in a mobile home park (they allow some RVs to park for months at a time). Because of that we have cable internet right now. If we were not here we would be using our phones with Verizon since we are still grandfathered in with unlimited data and sometimes we use PDAnet.
I did post several websites and info on the first page of all the info of different ways to hook into internet while on the road. And you can do decent satellite but it will cost over $5k for the equipment and depending on the up and down loading times you want it could cost over $1k a month. But usually those speeds are for disaster's and the responders.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I know quite a few people that use way more than 30 gig of data a month. We use more than that ourselves, especially when Thom has to deal with CAD drawings for work.
I guess I should have specified "retired" people. If you're using over 30 gigs a month sending CAD drawing back and forth to work, where I come from, you ain't retired.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploring View Post
So I was using this: Data Calculator

Brittany and I both work full time online. (2 computers eight hours per day, all online)

It's a Verizon Data Calculator.

Our typical usage is about:

50 Text emails only per day (14.65 MB)
500 Webpages per day (14.64 GB)
50 Photos uploaded/downloaded per day (7.32 GB)
10 minutes hi-def streaming video per day (10 GB)

According to the calculator we're looking at around 32 GB per day.

Having said that, we've resigned ourselves to no streaming video on the mifi and to try and keep it to 400 webpages per day. So hoping to stay near the 20 GB mark. Which would have us at $130.00 per month via Verizon with a Jetpack.

This has been the only thing really holding us back from the fulltime RV lifestyle. I'm really and I mean REALLY thankful that you chimed in.

I will definitely look into Millenicom's 20 gig per month $69.95 no contract plan.

Questions:

1. Are you able to tell me what speeds you are getting with that plan? (Not what they advertise, but what you are actually getting.)
2. Have you stayed in many State/National Parks, and if so what has been your experience in the coverage in these areas? I know they will vary greatly. But have you ever had a GOOD Internet experience in these remote areas?
3. Do you have any tips on Booster Antennas out there?
4. Overall on a scale of 1-10 with a 10 being it's like being at home on a fiber optic network or hi-speed Internet, and a 1 being there used to be two hamsters in the wheel I think one of them died. What would you say your level of satisfaction on speed and coverage has been with your Millenicom plan?

Again really appreciate your insight. See my signature.

Respectfully,

E&B
You are welcome. There have been excellent followups since I posted, so I'll step aside and let you digest what has been posted and referenced. Good luck!
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
32GB per day equates to 1TB (TeraByte) per month

I'm with Bubwheat on this... No way!

Maybe 32GB per month?
Yes! Per month! ~slaps forehead~ The calc is by day.. but I mean that our usage is around 20-30 gigs a month not per day!

Thanks for pointing that out.

Eric
Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technomadia View Post
We've been working remotely on the road for over 7 years now, and we tend need to use a lot of data between supporting our clients, remoting into our servers, downloading developer tools and handling graphics/video files.

Our current arsenal is:

- 20GB Millenicom 4G hotspot plan on Verizon
- 10GB tetherable via our AT&T shared plan on our iPhones
- Unlimited AT&T data plan via a grandfathered in iPad (no tethering, use it mainly for streaming video via HDMI cable)
- TopSignal 5db cellular booster for 3G situations, and a Wilson Sleek 4G for boosting the Verizon hotspot
- WiFiRanger Go and Sky for pulling in WiFi hotspots (posting this message via that right now) and for routing all our various inputs fairly seamlessly.
- HughesNet satellite tripod setup, that we activate when we know we're going out in the boonies.
- When we really need to focus and get lots of work done online, we've been known to find mobile home parks with RV spots, where we can subscribe to cable internet for a while.
- A box of wine (when all else fails...)

As far as your questions about speed and coverage - that's highly variable. All of the carriers are aggressively rolling out LTE right now - so the places you can get high speed connections changes daily. A lot of the national parks tend to have only limited access, but the more popular ones tend to have more these days. 'Boonies' and fast cellular coverage only cross paths on occasion - we rejoice when find that combo.

For knowing where we'll get coverage on our various networks, we actually wrote an iPhone/iPad app for that called Coverage?, that overlays the coverage maps for the 4 major carriers. It helps us plan our routing and stops, and know what direction to head when we have no coverage.

As WheelingIt mentioned above (thank you Nina!), we just released a book on this topic that shares our lessons learned of internet on the road, what works, what doesn't, why and make recommendations for various scenarios. (The Mobile Internet Handbook)

We also have an illustrated diagram and explanation of our mobile internet setup at:
Illustrated Mobile Internet Gadgetry for RVers | Technomadia

Enjoy.. it's fun out there! But there are definitely trade-offs for connectivity.

- Cherie
Cherie (and Chris),

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Really. My wife and I were really starting to think it couldn't be done, that our dreams had been dashed against the rocks of despair!

Your breakdown is the most comprehensive that I've seen. We love your "arsenal" and I'm sure we'll need something similar.

Any idea how much this arsenal costs per month? Costs to install? Or is this all covered in your book?

And I'd love to add you as a "friend" on this forum if you'd be willing. I really appreciate you both already more than you know!

Eric (And Brittany)
Old 07-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
I follow another blogger who's written more detail about internet on the road, specifically for full-time work. Definitely recommend their "Mobile Internet Handbook" which will take you through all the options:
Technomadia
Wheeling it! Thanks so much for introducing us to Technomadia and also for your insight. I'll be looking through your site today.

Appreciate your insight!

E&B