Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Fulltime traveler with Directv

As a fulltime traveler with Directv, I have to often call them to change my location so I can get the major networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, sometimes as often as once a day, and they will not allow you to do it on your receiver or on their website - it has to be by telephone and get placed on hold and sometimes it hangs up on you. I wish I could get national feeds for major networks rather than tuning in to local TV stations.

How do you deal with this problem
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
We used the same account we had in our S&B. So, no, no issues getting the "local" affiliates. But when you are in MT and your local stations are still in upstate SC......they aren't local any more. We just don't plan on screwing with it.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It sounds like you want DNS

Watch local network stations with Distant Network Service (DNS)

We have been using it for over 4 years. You will get east coast feeds if your billing address in eastern or central time and west coast feeds for mountain or pacific.

It costs $15 a month but solves your problems and makes recording stuff simple. You never have to worry about locating programs based on where you are at.

We only change our "service address" (for local channels) when we get to our home area in the summer and our winter location. Otherwise, we don't worry about local channels.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

I leave my service address at Toms River Yacht Club, Toms River NJ 08757.

I get the NY networks everywhere.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:40 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
As a fulltime traveler with Directv, I have to often call them to change my location so I can get the major networks like ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, sometimes as often as once a day, and they will not allow you to do it on your receiver or on their website - it has to be by telephone and get placed on hold and sometimes it hangs up on you. I wish I could get national feeds for major networks rather than tuning in to local TV stations.

How do you deal with this problem
Like Sky_Boss says, you want DNS. Your account has to be registered to your RV, and since you're a full-timer, that should be no problem. If you originally signed up for Direct while you still were in your stick house, you may have to see if you can get it changed over to your RV.

There is a sticky at the top of this forum with the necessary form.
Save
Save
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #6

We have had DirecTV On our boat and now on our RV for decades. When traveling, as we are now, we call and have our service area changed to a New York address. Be sure to tell them not to change your billing address. Since we are heading west, in a few weeks we will change to an LA address until we turn around and head east again. No hassles, no forms to fill out, no wait times. Been doing this for many, many years with no problem. Why make life complicated? We are sitting here in South Dakota with NY locals, actually New York network feeds. Use any RV park address. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #7

Either get DNS or use Twinboat's suggestion for a service address. Using DNS costs more but when home (if you have one) you get your actual 'locals' instead of having to watch the locals in NYC or LA area.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
Either get DNS or use Twinboat's suggestion for a service address. Using DNS costs more but when home (if you have one) you get your actual 'locals' instead of having to watch the locals in NYC or LA area.
Or, when you get home, call and change the service address back to your home. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dish got in trouble several years ago with the FCC by changing service address multiple times for customers and lost DNS for a while. DirecTV nearly did too.

When I did my research I was told I could change my service address multiple times but 6 month into it they clamped down on it. There is no written guidelines that say how many times a year you could change the service address but I was told that 4 times a year might be acceptable.

Personally, I don't really care about local channels but Sandee likes them when we are planted for a couple months. Happy wife, happy life.

So...

Going DNS allows one to get the major channels from the same source at all times. It makes setting up the recordings very simple because you no longer have to worry about finding your programs on local channels that you may or may not have access to. You just need to adjust to the difference in time zone for the satellite feed vs where you are. If you record a lot of stuff like we do, no big deal.

Just for clarification, Twinboat refers to service address which is not the same as billing address. As I mentioned before, your billing address determines what feeds you get when the provider has and east and west coast feed. The service address is an independent address that determines what local stations you get. Even if he changed the service address he would always get the NY ABC/NBC/CBS feeds from the east coast feed no matter where he was at but NOT as a local channel unless he was within the spot beam area for them as local channels also. Of course, I am assuming he has a billing address in either the eastern or central time zones.

So, unless you want "local" channels while traveling you can simply make your billing and service addresses the same. However, when you set up recordings make sure you set them up on the proper satellite feeds and NOT on your "local" channels.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:45 PM   #10

I'm watching standard definition, so I will lose the networks if I use my PA. billing address as my service address. I tried that.

The networks are on hi def channels where my bill goes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:53 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
If I want to watch the"local" where ever I'm at channels, I just fire up the over the air antennae..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
If you want East coast, use a service address in or around NY city. If you want West coast, then use a service address in the LA basin.... That will get you the big networks everywhere. (ABC NBC CBS FOX) Please note that the other locals that you may see in those areas will not be visible outside the coverage area ( CW, etc. ) Only the big network have a CONUS footprint.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
If you want East coast, use a service address in or around NY city. If you want West coast, then use a service address in the LA basin.... That will get you the big networks everywhere. (ABC NBC CBS FOX) Please note that the other locals that you may see in those areas will not be visible outside the coverage area ( CW, etc. ) Only the big network have a CONUS footprint.
UM...if you are referring to DNS you mean BILLING address to get east or west coast feeds? Service address gets you the local (LIL) channels.

DNS vs. LIL
Local into Local (LIL) refers to any television station delivered in the station's "home" market. For example: Los Angeles station KABC viewed in the Los Angeles area. A Distant Network Signal (DNS) refers to any television station delivered outside of its "home" market. For example: Los Angeles station KABC viewed in the Denver area.

Keep in mind, DNS also covers CW & PBS that only have a single satellite feeds.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Technically this technique would be LIL because by using those service addresses gets you the local channels for that area. However, these are the stations that happen to be available countrywide.

I kind of stumbled onto this by accident. We were on a 9 month long sojourn around the US. I changed our service address as needed when we drove out from under the local footprint. When we left the LA basin I realized that we were still receiving the big networks as we traveled back east. So I didn't bother to change my service address from LA until we settled back down in GA. I honestly don't remember what all channels followed us other than the main networks, but I found no need to change my service address until we got back home.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, fulltime, travel