Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2017, 09:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Garmin 760 won't transfer from computer

Been using this unit for a couple of years. Been parked for 3 months and now my computer cannot find the unit. The computer sees the unit but when trying to transfer the map I get the message "no devices were found". Not sure how to correct this. Any ideas?

Thanks
DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #2

Try re-setting the device by holding the power key down for 10 seconds.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:24 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The 760 has 2 connections on it. If you use the same one the power cord is connected to it will not find the 760. The connection that you need to use is on the bottom right under the screen. It takes a different adapter than the power cord.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
then there's always the reset the computer option too

Hope you didn't drop it or anything as my wife decided she didn't like ours...
so I sent it off to Garmin and for $130 they sent me a refurbished one...
Old 02-15-2017, 07:32 AM   #5

Same issue Im having with FWs Nuvi. Apparently they are having issues with either the solder connection for the socket or the socket itself. My guess a bad batch of sockets as it still charges fine, just no data highway. Sad really but maybe thats Garmins way of getting out of free lifetime maps.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I can assure you on the RV 760 there are two connections. I had the same problem. It will not recognize the 760 until it is plugged in the connection on the bottom.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:28 AM   #7

dabrooks is right. There are 2 connections on the 760. The connection on the side for power and the connection on the bottom of the unit for a micro USB connection. You will need to use the bottom connection and a micro USB cable to allow the computer to see the 760 for updates including maps.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I am using the right connections. I will try it again tonight. If no worky then I'll use the phone.

DICK
Old 02-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #9

Everything like that needs to be done through the Garmin Express software....the latest version of course. This program should be installed on your computer. When hogging up the USB cable, make sure it is plugged into a USB port on the actual computer and not a USB hub hooked to the computer. Also, as stated above, use the USB port on the Garmin.....on the bottom and under the screen. One other thing to remember. Some USB cables are not capable for data transfer, only charging. So make sure you are not trying to use one of those cables.

I have a brand new 760 about a month or two old and my computer wouldn't recognize it....and nothing I did would work. I was trying to see if there were any updates that I needed, but was not able to get my computer ( Garmin Express) to recognize it. A call to Garmin customer service revealed a corrupted file (apparently pretty rare on this model) that was causing the problem. She had me delete the entire file, turn the Garmin back on, then plug the USB cable back in. That allowed the Garmin Express to download a new file that wasn't corrupted, into the 760 and life was good....everything that needed updating was updated, my saved info was retained, and the story has a happy ending......Trifecta!
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:55 AM   #10

I have had problems with our RV760 being recognized by my new Dell with USB3 connections. I have three other Garmin products that work fine with this computer. The RV760 connects just fine on my old Dell.
Connecting the RV760 to the USB on my thunderbolt adapter on the new computer worked. A call to Garmin was no help.
You might try a different computer (if you can) or try an adapter with USB.
Steadfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Same issue Im having with FWs Nuvi. Apparently they are having issues with either the solder connection for the socket or the socket itself. My guess a bad batch of sockets as it still charges fine, just no data highway. Sad really but maybe thats Garmins way of getting out of free lifetime maps.
Well, I just figured out what was going on with my Nuvi. Unloaded the computer drivers and reloaded it. updated the Garmin updater and cleared the Nuvi memory. Worked like a charm. it was recognized by the computer and updated everything smoothly.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. No internet connection for a few days. I'll try some of the suggestions above.

Thanks
DICK
Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had great positive results with Garmin Customer Service via email and telephone. Very helpful. It is true, you need to use the original USB that came with the device. I too ran into the same problem until I found the mini port on the bottom of the unit. It is NOT the same port you use with the power cord. Happy trails. 🚍
Old 02-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #14

If the previous suggestions do not work try another cable. I have a cable that charges my phone fine, Samsung, but does not pass data. I can see the phone from my laptop but cannot access any files.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer