Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 06:51 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Garmin 760LMT GPS Craziness

Well... this isn't the first time my Garmin has tried to tell me something stupid... but it is the wildest attempt to get us stuck!

Yes... the Garmin was setup as if the RV was driving. Our RV is 12'10" tall and weighs right at 13 tons. The bridge the Garmin wants us to cross is 9'9" tall with a 6 ton weight limit! Crazy I tell you.

This was such a gross screw up, I finally searched for (and found) the Report A Map Error page for Garmin.

For anyone else that wants to report your errors:
https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces
lynch763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #2

did you enter your height into the rv settings when setting up your rv760. I have one and love it except that the mount isn't strong enough to hold the weight, it constantly falls down on the dash mount. it is to heavy for the mount
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:15 AM   #3

At one time there was a program called "low clearance" maybe that would have helped?
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
That is crazy! We have a 770RV but haven’t run across that craziness, BUT we haven’t tried to cross that one specifically. That’s assuming the maps would have gave us the same issue.

Where is that bridge exactly? It’s really pretty nice looking.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #5

I have read here and there that the Garmin "low clearance" database is not comprehensive. That is one marketing point from the folks at lowclearances.com. I have a subscription loaded on our RV 760.

NOTE: Based on some recent threads, I'm not sure the loawclearances.com database is comprehensive! (That is, I have checked for specific low clearances locations in their database and not found all of them listed. I could have made mistakes in my search, though.)

Some people use a trucker's atlas to review routes for bridge problems. Link here.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Where is that bridge exactly? It’s really pretty nice looking.
West Hopkinton, NH

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowell%27s_Covered_Bridge
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Sorry to hear about the glitch on low clearance. Unfortunately any GPS or mapping system is subject to error. They won't show low hanging trees, wires, etc but it did work on Hwy 101 in Oregon. The 760 insisted on taking me 110 miles out of the way because of a low tunnel. The roof of the tunnel was arched and the very sides were only 11'6" while my profile showed the coach to be 12'5". The tunnel quickly arched up to where a couple of feet from the sides was at least 14' and the center of the ceiling was at 16+'. I had driven through it in the Jeep so I knew there was plenty of clearance and as soon as we passed the tunnel the route went back to where I had it programmed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HW101-Tunnel.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	257168  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
did you enter your height into the rv settings when setting up your rv760.
Yep - been using it for a long time now.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Sorry to hear about the glitch on low clearance. Unfortunately any GPS or mapping system is subject to error. They won't show low hanging trees, wires, etc but it did work on Hwy 101 in Oregon. The 760 insisted on taking me 110 miles out of the way because of a low tunnel. The roof of the tunnel was arched and the very sides were only 11'6" while my profile showed the coach to be 12'5". The tunnel quickly arched up to where a couple of feet from the sides was at least 14' and the center of the ceiling was at 16+'. I had driven through it in the Jeep so I knew there was plenty of clearance and as soon as we passed the tunnel the route went back to where I had it programmed.
I thought it was funny that the Garmin tried to put us on a dirt national forest road instead of going through that tunnel. Having driven to the lighthouse north of there, I knew we could do it - so ignored the Garmin.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #10

No mapping database has all clearances. Lowclearances.com has many that Garmin doesn't have and the AITA list has yet more. You did the right thing reporting it to Garmin; they actually do correct map errors.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It wasn't just the low clearance that was problematic. The weight limitations were also off. Good that you reported it to Garmin. It's things like this that make it important to update your GPS on a regular basis.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
No mapping database has all clearances. Lowclearances.com has many that Garmin doesn't have and the AITA list has yet more. You did the right thing reporting it to Garmin; they actually do correct map errors.
If you look at the dates of the LowClearance.com files I think you'll find they have not been updated since 2016. I have emailed them a few times with no response.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps