Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Garmin Base Camp replacement

Just got a Garmin RV 770 and tried to use "Base Camp" and it is very hard to get used to as a trip planner, (it sucks). Is there a better option out there that works with my Garmin 770????

Any help
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #2

Yep, Base Camp has a steep learning curve for such a simple program.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:33 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I certainly agree, Base Camp sucks! I can't understand why a company that builds such a good nav device would put such a sub standard program out for users. It does work somewhat better if you have your 770 connected to your computer while you use it though.

I have an old version of "Streets and Trips" that I still use to plan my route and then I program it on my GPS.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #4

X2 on Base Camp. I still use MS Streets and Trips 2013 for planning. I then put all stops into a MS Excel spread sheet with all of the address and phone number of the campsites we will be staying at, or hope to stay at. For actual travel I input the address of the next campground into my Garmin RV 660 LMT. I then review the route on the Garmin to verify that is the route I want to take. Sometimes the Garmin has its own idea of how to get there. This works very well for me.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:46 AM   #5

+1 in the "Basecamp sucks" group. I tried and tried, watched video after video, and just never could get the hang of it.

In my opinion, it is overkill for what most RV'ers would want from such a program and because of that, one gets lost way to easily in all the functions, choices, and categories.

I put in a suggestion a few years ago about possibly creating a few "wizards" that would help the less "program savvy" users to better navigate all the possible options, but got no response nor has the program even changed much in the past couple of years. I am not even sure Garmin is supporting it any longer.

I have since moved on and plan my trips using things like Google Maps, MapQuest, and even Good Sam's trip planner then just programming in each days route manually into my Garmin.

It would be great if it was more "user friendly" and you could just simply plan out your route and upload it, but BaseCamp makes me jump thru too many hoops to get what I want and once frustration sets in, I turn off the computer and grab a beer!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:47 PM   #6

If you don't use or want to use a smart phone is the Garmin RV model 660 better than the RV 770 model?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:17 PM   #7

Garmin Base Camp replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
+1 in the "Basecamp sucks" group. I tried and tried, watched video after video, and just never could get the hang of it.

In my opinion, it is overkill for what most RV'ers would want from such a program and because of that, one gets lost way to easily in all the functions, choices, and categories.

I put in a suggestion a few years ago about possibly creating a few "wizards" that would help the less "program savvy" users to better navigate all the possible options, but got no response nor has the program even changed much in the past couple of years. I am not even sure Garmin is supporting it any longer.

I have since moved on and plan my trips using things like Google Maps, MapQuest, and even Good Sam's trip planner then just programming in each days route manually into my Garmin.

It would be great if it was more "user friendly" and you could just simply plan out your route and upload it, but BaseCamp makes me jump thru too many hoops to get what I want and once frustration sets in, I turn off the computer and grab a beer!

I found this combination is useful but awkward.
Rv trip wizard to plan
Export to google
Open google and export to Kml
Open base camp and import kml as a series of tracks
Turn tracks into a route
Export to garmin

I think that was the sequence. I did it once and just now was from memory. I will have to write down the exact steps and make a video. I will attempt that this weekend. Follow me and you will see it. I have an rv660.
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #8

Recently I noticed that a Google Earth route can be saved as a .klm file. BaseCamp does not recognize .klm files so they must be coverted to a .gpx file, which I can do. But I have not figured out how to get it into BaseCamp. If I can accomplish this I can create a route in Google Earth and then open it in BaseCamp which will allow me to transfer it to the Garmin. I'd like to know if anyone has experince with this.

As for BaseCamp, I like it. I saw it as a challenge. It took a while, but I quit looking for anything else.

I use BaseCamp and I like it. It works better on a PC than a Mac. When planning a trip, I look at Google Earth and/or maps to establish my route. Then using BaseCamp, I select waypoints along the highway I plan to travel, not in the cities I plan to travel thru, using as few as possible. I number the waypoints as I go, which allows me to easily place them in correct order. Then from the Edit menu I select create route. Placing the starting point and the ending point in the New Route window, and selecting Go. Now using the Green Plus on the right side of the window I add the rest of my waypoints. And numerically order them. Then "Recalculate" my route. If the route shown does not follow the route I intended, I create another way point which lets say goes between 4 and 5. I number this waypoint 4.2 so that I will know it goes between 4 and 5. I use this method to create trips from 100 to 1000+ miles long. I use the Dezl (truckers) Garmin.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To convert various GPS file formats you may want to look at Extra_POI_Editor
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:43 AM   #10

Basecamp is hard to use... but I've figured out how to use it. I can now plan a route reasonably quickly.

Richard (iRV2 user "Dr4Film") had some posts about planning in Google Maps, converting to GPX format and then importing to the Garmin.

Both of these methods take more to explain well than an iRV2 post allows.

After we've driven a route, I download the actual track and put it on our personal Google Maps, then share with friends so they can see where we've been (and, at our ages, to jog our memories!).

I use the free online converters GPX2KML and KML2GPX.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Since we are known to change plans on a moments notice (and some of the best times have been because of that) we usually do some pre-planning on good sams free route planer here

email it to my phone and then just load the next stop into the gps knowing full well it may change
Old 08-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
If you don't use or want to use a smart phone is the Garmin RV model 660 better than the RV 770 model?
I tried using my smart phone, did not like it. When I got the RV 660 the RV 770 was not out yet. There was a RV 760 out but the RV 660 was better. I have read that the RV 770 has WiFi connect for upgrades and the way it gets traffic info is different than the RV 660. I think the RV 770 program is the same as the RV 660 with the larger screen. Very pleased with the RV 660.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
I tried using my smart phone, did not like it. When I got the RV 660 the RV 770 was not out yet. There was a RV 760 out but the RV 660 was better. I have read that the RV 770 has WiFi connect for upgrades and the way it gets traffic info is different than the RV 660. I think the RV 770 program is the same as the RV 660 with the larger screen. Very pleased with the RV 660.
Thanks for the reply. I have heard the same thing and will probably be going with the RV 660 model for the same reasons. Saw it online for with the 32g card for $249.00.

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #14

Basecamp is very powerful but as mentioned it is overkill for the average RV user. I use it extensively to create tracks for backcountry dirt bike/ 4wd exploring and for that it is great. You can import GE KML files directly into Basecamp. No conversion necessary. Just go to the Import option in the tab labeled File at the top left of the screen.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement