RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Lightbulb Garmin DEZL 760lmt or RVND 7720 ?

Shopping for a new model GPS with the truck mode features for the RV and lifetime traffic and maps -- Opinions and input appreciated !! Does one model have it over the other? Reliability, accuracy, user friendly, screen visibility, features, etc.

Thanks in advance !!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #2

My 2010 Winnebago 40' Tour came with a Garmin GPS. My model had a free standing GPS that mounted to the dash (2011's were built into the dash) I removed the Garmin and installed a Magellan RV9165T With a 7" screen. So far, it's been great, it allows you to enter your weight, length etc and routes your drive accordingly. Search Results For: rv

LJowdy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We just got the Garmin Dezl 760 and love it so far.

Everyone has their opinion on what is best. My recommendation is to go to several stores and truck stops and try them all out. Look at how they feel to operate and how each does on a route and where it takes you. Look at the differences in routing for car and RV's.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #4

I have both Garmin Dezel 760 and the RandM 7720 use both side-by-side. For your 33' the Rand would do you fine, as it is a bit more automobile oriented and can and will route you right through the middle of towns.
The Garmin is much more Truck/large RV oriented and will route you to truck routes and sometimes direct you to routes more associated with shipping terminals, etc. even though your entered route is not in the designated area. The Garmin probably is not quite as helpful for finding campgrounds, but will get you fuel easier.
If I had to choose, I would go the Garmin, but for your rig the RM might do. I tend to trust the routes much more with the Garmin than the RM. I have had the RM want to route me off an Interstate, thru town, and then get back on the Interstate.
RM seems to be in an experimental mode with all their models, did I mention their 7710 failure/Beta test they sold to unsuspecting buyers, me included? Lots about that issue on this website...many disappointed owners.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
I have both Garmin Dezel 760 and the RandM 7720 use both side-by-side. For your 33' the Rand would do you fine, as it is a bit more automobile oriented and can and will route you right through the middle of towns.
The Garmin is much more Truck/large RV oriented and will route you to truck routes and sometimes direct you to routes more associated with shipping terminals, etc. even though your entered route is not in the designated area. The Garmin probably is not quite as helpful for finding campgrounds, but will get you fuel easier.
If I had to choose, I would go the Garmin, but for your rig the RM might do. I tend to trust the routes much more with the Garmin than the RM. I have had the RM want to route me off an Interstate, thru town, and then get back on the Interstate.
RM seems to be in an experimental mode with all their models, did I mention their 7710 failure/Beta test they sold to unsuspecting buyers, me included? Lots about that issue on this website...many disappointed owners.

Thanks so much for the help - I'd say we are more concerned with better routing and fuel stops suited for trucks and RV's, so it sounds like the Garmin unit would suit us. Question: Does the Garmin DEZL 760 have campgrounds listed so that during your travel you can look for a CG near you? How does the Campground data differ on the two units?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #6
6mm

We are close to getting our new GPS and hope more people answer to the OPs question on which unit to get.
I have very little knowledge of electronics but will let my son make the choice but so far I am looking at the Garmin DEZL 760 LMT.
All the post on this is very helpfull.
6mm
6mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #7

2Lt, I see you passed right by my post re: Magellan RV9165T Through Good Sam, they have dump sites, campgrounds and truck stops listed in the maps. I've always liked Garmin but I love this GPS.
LJowdy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
There are POI files that can easily downloaded onto the Garmin. So you can download camping sites, dump sites and I found one POI for gun ranges in Texas They really make it easy to do if you just follow the directions off their site.
Most use POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS to get POI files. Here is a whole list of sites for POI files if you want more Garmin | United States | Custom POI Sources Some are free and some are not so double check before OKing
Old 06-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #9

After experiencing the frustration of encountering a low bridge and then having to backtrack, Iíve been looking at an RV specific GPS too. Checking several forums I ran across a discussion on this site in another group. A pretty good review of the RM GPS can be found at - For What It's Worth: Rand McNally "Good Sam" RVND 7725-LM GPS - First Impressions
After reading his review I've pretty much decided on the Garmin. Too many shortcomings with the RM unit, live traffic being the major missing feature. Even when you know where youíre going, it would be nice to avoid the jam ups. And, I'm not sure I have a lot of appreciation for the addition of Good Sam, or any other campgrounds. Just because it's "close" is not the only factor to be considered. Once I decide on a campground, inputting the destination would seem to be easy.
GaryM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
2Lt, I see you passed right by my post re: Magellan RV9165T Through Good Sam, they have dump sites, campgrounds and truck stops listed in the maps. I've always liked Garmin but I love this GPS.

Thank you for your suggestion, however, it is just that we'd kind of narrowed the new GPS purchase between the two - Garmin vs. Rand McNally

We've had two Magellan's (Roadmate 3045 and 1700) our last purchase being the 7 inch Magellan Roadmate 1700 a couple of years ago and it works okay but Magellan units are not compatible with downloading files (i.e., POI-FACTORY downloads) -- I would like to be able to do that.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My vote is for Garmin... have had them since, well - a LONG time (first one purchased was about $1000 way before they were popular !!!! )

now my 765T and 5000 work FINE ... with lifetime maps and traffic, they get me there every time while listening to the audible book app on it makes the miles fly by !

fyi - IIRC, one of the poi's you can add are low clearances just for rv's.... but I've never bothered, just trained ourselves to read out loud the clearance signs - which we all should do !

good luck on your decision and this might be a good reference site for you --> http://forums.gpsreview.net/
(these are the gps geeks and just look at the post count for the different brands to see which is most popular)