Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Garmin GPS evaluation

Hello All,

I have given thought to purchasing a GPS, and since Garmin is a leader in these devices, I found the following GPS with a five inch screen, and ask anyone here for an evaluation. Is this a five star unit?

Thanks

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=401&pID=96637

James

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #2

That's a fine one - but entirely satisfactory ones for most normal folks, can be bought for lots less...

Here's a "fer instance":

Garmin Nuvi 1450LM Auto GPS with Lifetime Maps 1450 LM 010-00810-28 753759976200 | eBay

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
That's a fine one - but entirely satisfactory ones for most normal folks, can be bought for lots less...

Here's a "fer instance":

Garmin Nuvi 1450LM Auto GPS with Lifetime Maps 1450 LM 010-00810-28 753759976200 | eBay
Ahh, that unit is more in my price range.....Thanks!

Not that I am blind, but do you think a 4.4 x 2.2 inch screen is a little small? Is there a similar unit with a larger screen? Are the devices easy to mount?

Thanks again.

James
Old 10-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you're looking for a large screen and one that's made for RVs here's a link to check out:

Magellan RoadMate RV9165T-LM GPS with Free Lifetime Map Updates - Magellan RV9165SGLUC - GPS Units - Camping World

I've got this one and am very pleased with it. You put your rigs dimensions and weight in it and it will warn your of tight turns, low bridges, load limits, etc. in addition to traffic conjestion. In addition it can be used as a hands free bluetooth device for your mobile phone.

Regardless of the one you end up buying, the lifetime maps is important to get. The vendors make their money on selling map updates (and they can cost more for the update than the GPS did originally) and without annual updates, a GPS can become not so useful.

I've got a nice small flat spot near my backup / side camera monitor where the suction cup mount works very nicely.

It just depends on the features that are valuable to you. Divide the price by the number of years that you plan to keep it and it becomes a little easier to swallow.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Wen purchasing a GPS unit to use in conjunction with an RV take in consideration that you may not be able to travel the roads that are program by the unit. You need to take in account the height of your unit. A Garmin 465t is designed for the trucking industry and you can program with the specific demons ions of your RV thus making sure that you are on proper roads. But, no GPS is fail safe so please be extra cautionary when traveling.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburke8 View Post
Wen purchasing a GPS unit to use in conjunction with an RV take in consideration that you may not be able to travel the roads that are program by the unit. You need to take in account the height of your unit. A Garmin 465t is designed for the trucking industry and you can program with the specific demons ions of your RV thus making sure that you are on proper roads. But, no GPS is fail safe so please be extra cautionary when traveling.
Be mindful that setting up a GPS using truck - 18 wheeler - parameters will likely place you on truck routes thru most cities, and not always the shortest or best route for your RV - been there, done that!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #7

I have a Nuvi 50LM. Lifetime maps, much cheaper and I love it.

I also have a Delorme PN-20 and can't stand it.

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
I compare ALL gps units against my garmin(s) I have a 5000 and a 465t...
either is better than the ones in my 2012 ford f250 sync navigation and 2011 audi Q5...

remember the difference in viewing size is substantial when going from a 'standard' gps to a 5" screen size !

you might look into buying a 10" android or ipad tablet and getting copilot navigation app for $9.95 - multi - use not just gps !!!

fyi, buying a garmin from ebay will NOT give you a garmin warranty nor map updates !

garmin considers ebay an auction site and won't honor the warranty if anything goes wrong.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #9

I'm pretty sure the last thing I would buy from ebay would be a GPS.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #10

If your in to saving money and don't mind refurbished hardware Techforless.com has had a good policy in returns and anything sold with factory has been honored.

That's pretty cool demon icons for places not to go. Says alot for a GPS upgrade. Sort of a hi-tech update to "Here there be monsters."

FB: Adventures of Ranger and Jin
desertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnjim6 View Post
Hello All,

I have given thought to purchasing a GPS, and since Garmin is a leader in these devices, I found the following GPS with a five inch screen, and ask anyone here for an evaluation. Is this a five star unit?

Thanks

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=401&pID=96637

James
I purchased the Garmin 3590LMT (what you listed) eariler this year for the RV. I have used it for about 8000 miles. So far I really like it. It's the 6th Garmin unit I have had over the last 9 years so I am very fimilar with Garmin GPS's.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_K View Post
I purchased the Garmin 3590LMT (what you listed) eariler this year for the RV. I have used it for about 8000 miles. So far I really like it. It's the 6th Garmin unit I have had over the last 9 years so I am very fimilar with Garmin GPS's.
I broke down and purchased the 7" Magellan. This is a GPS specifically designed for motor homes.

Great unit!

Thanks all for your assist in purchasing this item. I am grateful
Old 10-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
I compare ALL gps units against my garmin(s) I have a 5000 and a 465t...
either is better than the ones in my 2012 ford f250 sync navigation and 2011 audi Q5...

remember the difference in viewing size is substantial when going from a 'standard' gps to a 5" screen size !

you might look into buying a 10" android or ipad tablet and getting copilot navigation app for $9.95 - multi - use not just gps !!!

fyi, buying a garmin from ebay will NOT give you a garmin warranty nor map updates !

garmin considers ebay an auction site and won't honor the warranty if anything goes wrong.

I have a new iPad that I love, and would buy copilot in a second, except that it does not appear to be customizable for a motorhome...... i.e. will it automatically avoid tunnels (I'm not allowed through most tunnels because of my propane tank)... will it allow me to enter my height and then automatically route me through towns and cities avoiding low bridges etc.. I purchased the Trailerlife software last year and it allows you to enter all your info and will route you accordingly.. The only problem is that the laptop is a little unwieldy.. I would prefer an iPad app. Does anyone know of one?
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Navfree. Got it at the App Store. Problem is that youngsters download each state individually. My Garman works better, so does the system in my Ram.

Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps