Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dont know if there is any help for me,as my grndchillen said "I am road kill on the infromation highway".
I downloaded the 2009 map into my laptop, about 2hr. and $70.00. later I tried to install in the
NUVI and the program said I was 1.53 gig. short when trying to load the 2.04 gig. program.

I am sure someone has downloaded an updated map. program. So what am I doing wrong? I would think
that it would just write over the old program, or just add any NEW material that has been added sence
my 2006 program.

I have a Garmin # I will call tomorrow But I have heard about there tech support, and do not have a
warm an fuzzy about them!!! Tenn.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dont know if there is any help for me,as my grndchillen said "I am road kill on the infromation highway".
I downloaded the 2009 map into my laptop, about 2hr. and $70.00. later I tried to install in the
NUVI and the program said I was 1.53 gig. short when trying to load the 2.04 gig. program.

I am sure someone has downloaded an updated map. program. So what am I doing wrong? I would think
that it would just write over the old program, or just add any NEW material that has been added sence
my 2006 program.

I have a Garmin # I will call tomorrow But I have heard about there tech support, and do not have a
warm an fuzzy about them!!! Tenn.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #3

You should have that warm and fuzzy feeling about Garmin as their tech. support is generally considered to be very good. I have never had a problem with their support both when I had a hardware problem and when I have had questions.
Because of the size of the download I have always ordered the CD update. You are correct, the first thing that should happen is the software should indicate that the old files are being deleted. The update takes a couple of hours after that. If you are given the option of having them send the CD (DVD actually, I think) I would take that option. If you can get things working with the download let us know what the problem was.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I received the 2009 Garmin map update DVD for my StreetPilot 2610 and 2620 GPS units last week. It won't auto-run and won't manually run off my home PC's DVD drive (Windows XP SP2). This is the first time I've had this problem with a Garmin map update DVD - maybe I'll have time this weekend to work with it some more.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 AM   #5

I should have mentioned that I have done the 2009 NT update and it worked fine from the DVD on my computer. The 2009 is an NT update only so some earlier Garmin units use the North America and not NT. Be sure you have the right software.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yep, the DVD appears to be correct as the label says it's the 2009 North America upgrade for the 2620 and 2660 StreetPilots. I'll tinker with it some more using my work laptop this weekend.

Rusty
Old 07-12-2008, 04:24 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally got to talk to a real person, after 2 tries and 30min.
I think it was JAMEL first wk. on the job, as he left the conversation
twice to confer with another person. He wanted to infer that MY computer
was at fault, with not enough free space on the drive. And even after
we checked and with 128 gig.of free space, he still would not get off
MY computer. As I ask him about the DVD, he wanted to say I would have
the same problem.

So I told him to just credit my card, and we could both do something
differant. Jamel was nice, and talked like he was on this side of the
pond. And spoke perfect english I might add.

I bought the Garmin after Christmas, and it is wsa loaded in 06. And I
did not know at the time that I had 30days to get the latest download
free. I may look into a DVD once my card gets credited ! Tenn.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
Yep, the DVD appears to be correct as the label says it's the 2009 North America upgrade for the 2620 and 2660 StreetPilots. I'll tinker with it some more using my work laptop this weekend.

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hmmm....after $75 to unlock it and about 2 hours, the 2009 North America map upgrade loaded to my 2620 just fine off my work computer (Dell Latitude D630 laptop). Go figger, I guess.....

Rusty
Old 07-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hmmm....after $75 to unlock it and about 2 hours </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Were you trying to load a locked CD? That might well have been the problem. The updates aren't free (dang it!) but most are worth the money. Seems like a bargain since the updates used to cost $150 each.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The "unlock" procedure isn't initiated until after the DVD boots. Garmin ships the locked DVD for free and doesn't require an unlock to boot up. The "wizard" doesn't ask for the unlock code until just before the transfer process actually begins. At that time, if you tell it you don't have the 25-character unlock code, it connects to Garmin's website and, after obtaining your credit card data for a $75 charge, Garmin provides the unlock code.

My problem was that my home computer wouldn't run any of the .exe files on the DVD, even when manually pointed to them. The DVD just wouldn't run, period. Conversely, it auto-booted fine on my work laptop that I brought home for the weekend, then unlocked and installed the map data on my 2620 and allowed me to specify and load maps to my 2610's 2gb CF memory card with no problems. I've run v5, v6 and v8 map updates on my home computer previously with no problems whatsoever. That's the "go figger" part....

Rusty
Old 07-13-2008, 04:19 AM   #11

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't understand that you had run the same DVD just on another computer.