Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
NXR

Garmin RV 770 versus Garmin dezlCam 785 "truck" GPS

I'm specifically looking at the dezlCam 785 LMTS for $500 because it includes a built-in dashcam. I'd really rather not have to stick Yet Another Thing in my field of view or have to run another power card. "dezl" is pronounced "diesel". https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/589530

The dezlCam is used for real trucks and also has the vehicle profile (height, weight, length, width) like the RV 770. It can route over "truck routes" meaning it respects weight and height limits or local restrictions. I know an RV is not a "truck" per se but I've read that the RV 770 just gives warnings on height restrictions and does not actually route around them. The RV 770 specs say it does route around but reviews I've read that said it does not. Does anybody know which is accurate?

The RV POI function on the RV 770 looks really nice in theory. How does it work in practice? The Dezl has "truck services" for repairs, etc, as well as a maintenance log function. The Dezl also has TripAdvisor and Foursquare ratings like the RV 770. (I'm not really sure how valuable these will be since it's likely that the non-driving person would just look this stuff up on their phone if cell service is available.)

I have HD traffic on another unit and it's always been very accurate and near-real-time in metro areas. That's a $70 option on either the RV 770 or the dezlCam 785 so that's a wash.

The dezlCam 785 also has lane departure warning and forward collision avoidance which my 2016 car has but that the RV 770 does not and my 2020 model year RV also does not. <sigh> Yes, I know the new F-53 chassis is supposed to add those features. Maybe in my next coach.

The dezlCam apparently can link to the Internet on your phone and has limited browsing and other smartphone-like capabilities per: See 3:15 and later.

Yes, in re-reading this I know it sounds like I've already made up my mind but "reading about" and "hearing from people who've actually used" can be two entirely two different things.

Thanks for your time,

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #2

I've been thinking recently about the 785 as well and mostly for the points you brought up, my only problem would be that the unit would not be parallel to the windshield so the dash cam would likely not be at the ideal angle.

Graeme Arnott
07 Country Coach Allure
08 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Triboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triboy View Post
I've been thinking recently about the 785 as well and mostly for the points you brought up, my only problem would be that the unit would not be parallel to the windshield so the dash cam would likely not be at the ideal angle.
I found a note in an online copy of the manual for how to align it vertically each time it's installed to assure it's not pointed too high or too low. There was nothing about a left-right alignment being needed. There is a Camera Placement setting for where it is installed on the windshield: left, right, center or dash but no picture of that. It seems to be primarily for the lane departure warning. I'd suspect an offset doesn't make that much difference.

The camera specs here: https://support.garmin.com/en-PH/?fa...so3hoMBDGh7Gf5 indicate the viewing angle for the 785 is 50 degrees unlike the earlier model which had 90 degrees: "The viewing angle of a camera represents how wide of an area the image covers."

I've watched numerous dezlCAM 785 videos on YouTube and I did not see any that had a degradation due to an offset. Of course, maybe they were set almost directly in front of the driver also. I'm unsure how a 90 degree viewing angle wouldn't show the dash mount mechanism in the camera, though.

I probably won't buy mine for a month or two because I won't have the RV until then.
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

Thanks for follow up and the info on the camera.

Graeme
Triboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #5

Garmin 785 Cam

Interested in any responses, too. I am trying to decide between Garmin 770, 780 & 785.
PaulnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:01 AM   #6

Another active thread
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f52/got-t...ay-450689.html
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #7

We have had RV770 for about 2 months and I really like the device. I cannot confirm routing avoids low clearances, but can confirm that it does route around weight and width restrictions. I have also loaded low clearances data base and can see low clearances points on the map. Data loaded as custom POI.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Dang, you beat me to it.

I started this thread and that one as the follow-up.

We went to a KOA where they warned about an 8' 4" covered bridge on the normal GPS and Google Maps route. The RV 785 routed us past it on to the same path that the KOA recommended.

I originally bought the RV 780 and the Garmin DC66W dashcam to complement it. I was able to return the 780 when the 785 came out but missed that deadline on the DC66W dashcam so it's just sitting in a box right now. I may install it anyways just to use it.

If you're thinking about adding a dashcam the RV 785 is cheaper than buying both the GPS and a dashcam. It's viewing angle is fairly narrow but since the GPS/dashcam sits a couple feet back from the windshield and since there is a large front blind spot anyway I found the built-in dashcam does a good job.

The RV 785 is quite a bit heavier than the RV 780 because they put a rubber case around it, which helps keep it from bouncing around on the dash as much. I bought the "beanbag" Garmin mount and added a few pieces of Velcro to keep it from shifting around. That makes it far more stable.

The 785 uses a different optional backup camera, one that is wireless, and I think it can show up to four wireless cameras but just not all at once. That would be a nice feature.

The only glitch I've seen so far is that I have all notifications turned off on the smartphone Garmin Drive app but it still displays emails and texts on the side of the GPS display. I use Garmin Drive as a supplemental traffic source.

HTH,

Ray
Old 08-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #9

Just ordered our Garmin RV 785. I want the dash cam so I figured that was the best way to get that, too. Do I need to get some sort of screen protection for it or is the rubber casing on it like a cell ph Otter Box? I will post how we like it soon!

Could not find it on sale anywhere (naturally) so I bought Amazon gift cards at Kroger while they have 4x fuel points on gift cards. I will now pay $1 off per gallon for 2-3 tanks of diesel at Kroger to save at least $75-$100! Gotta get that discount somewhere, right? ��
PaulnDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #10
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnDeb View Post
Just ordered our Garmin RV 785. I want the dash cam so I figured that was the best way to get that, too. Do I need to get some sort of screen protection for it or is the rubber casing on it like a cell ph Otter Box? I will post how we like it soon!

Could not find it on sale anywhere (naturally) so I bought Amazon gift cards at Kroger while they have 4x fuel points on gift cards. I will now pay $1 off per gallon for 2-3 tanks of diesel at Kroger to save at least $75-$100! Gotta get that discount somewhere, right? ��
Wish I'd have thought of doing that.

I'll have to go look to be certain but I'm 99.9% sure the rubber case extends over the edge of the screen like my phone's Otterbox does.

Ray
Old 08-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I'll have to go look to be certain but I'm 99.9% sure the rubber case extends over the edge of the screen like my phone's Otterbox does.
I am now 100.0% certain.

Ray
Old 08-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #12

The big thing I'm reading about this model here and in the other thread is that normal dash or drivers area must have the GPS at an angle to see the GPS guidance so it's not in the way of their driving view, which places the camera out of alignment with the road, which also screws up the out of lane, etc.
I realize you've already bought it but you are going to have to admit defeat unless you can find a place to mount it so it is easy to see and still have the camera work. Otherwise, you can buy a great dash cam for $45 on Amazon. I did.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #13

Garmin has a page listing camera compatibility for various GPS models here.

For those that may want the GPS to display video from their existing rear-view camera, it's important to consult that listing. For instance, the RV 770 accepts only certain Garmin wireless camera connections, while the dez 770 accepts a connection from a third-party wired camera.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:47 PM   #14
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
The big thing I'm reading about this model here and in the other thread is that normal dash or drivers area must have the GPS at an angle to see the GPS guidance so it's not in the way of their driving view, which places the camera out of alignment with the road, which also screws up the out of lane, etc.
I realize you've already bought it but you are going to have to admit defeat unless you can find a place to mount it so it is easy to see and still have the camera work. Otherwise, you can buy a great dash cam for $45 on Amazon. I did.
That was a big concern of mine but it is not an issue for me. The 7" display has a bright display and also has excellent off-center viewing so I just put it on the dash between the seats about 6" closer to the driver. It sits forward of the steering wheel somewhat and can easily be seen by both front seat occupants, especially the speed display.

It could be an issue on something other than a Class A that has a much smaller windshield and where it sits a lot closer to the driver.

Ray

Tags
gps