Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2017, 09:10 AM   #1

Garmin RV GPS 760 vs 770?

In the market for a stand alone GPS and looking for experienced input.
Haven't used Garmin in a lot of yrs but liked my old dinasaur Garmin when they first came out.

Any +\- re 770 vs 760 other than the obvious size?

I note Garmin advertises "life time" map updates but realize that's not my life or even the GPS it's when Garmin decides life us over... sort of like Microsoft and free updates... until they decide to longer support it.
Any experience on when / how often Garmin decides to no longer support a model? (ie is the 760 likely to be dropped and 770 updates continue?)

Any features that favor one or the other?

I have seen comments but don't undestand the details that what was included w the 760 needs a separate option purchase w the 770?
Anyone know and can elaborate on what this might be?

I'd also like to add dash cam but don't see any Garmin RV units that include this like the truck Dezl units do? I'm thinking the RV POI data would be more useful to RVers than the trucker data... any comments

Any and all experience appreciated.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2017, 03:38 PM   #2

We just bought a 770, no experience with the 760. I convinced the Wife to get away from our unreliable (screen freeze ups, reboots) Magellan and go with a Garmin. It took years. No issues with the Garmin, except the wife misses the Good Sam database on campgrounds. Camping world should sell the GS campground database as a stand-alone POI extra, so Garmin users can just add to their POI database. Just did a software and map update on the Garmin.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #3

POI Points of Interest GPS

https://www.poi-factory.net/login
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #4

POI Factory does have campground databases, but they do not have Good Sam campground ratings, as that database is copyrighted by Good Sam. Time to turn it loose, Marcus!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-104 View Post
POI Points of Interest GPS
https://www.poi-factory.net/login
Be aware that I have read about some 770s freezing up after installing the POI files.

Also, some have reported problems downloading routes to the 770 from BaseCamp. I've been using a 760 for two years and have no problems building routes in BaseCamp and downloading them.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps