Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #1

Getting cable to work?

For the first time ever I decided to hook cable up to camper at the campground. However I can't figure out how to get the signal. The only connection at the living room tv is the amplified antenna connection. I don't see a switch anywhere to switch the source from antenna to cable. What am I missing? I changed the tv source from antenna to cable but it's on the camper side I can't switch unless that is automatic in the amplifier.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Community Administrator

The antenna amplifier needs to be off when on cable. I would think that there should be a switch . If you post your RV info , another member with a similar setup might jump in to assist.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 AM   #3

This might help. Your switch is probably similar to this.
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2451489.pdf
As has already been mentioned, turn off your antenna amplifier, set your TV source to cable, then do a channel scan on your TV.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

Thanks for quick responses. Amp was off. I think maybe the cable either isn't on at the camps box or I have an issue internally somewhere. I hooked the tv to one of the other spots in the camper and still nothing. Next I'll try it right off their box and see if it works. Not a big deal.....haven't used cable in a camper up until this point so we will survive. Just principle now.
Camper is a 2010 kz spree 305bhs 5r
Old 07-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #5

I have not been happy with cable reception at almost every park I've been to. Most of the time the picture is very snowy. Also, most of the time the problem is with the park and not your RV.
Fritschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
Thanks for quick responses. Amp was off. I think maybe the cable either isn't on at the camps box or I have an issue internally somewhere. I hooked the tv to one of the other spots in the camper and still nothing. Next I'll try it right off their box and see if it works. Not a big deal.....haven't used cable in a camper up until this point so we will survive. Just principle now.
Camper is a 2010 kz spree 305bhs 5r
Have you selected cable as the input using the TV remote? On our Visio, I select TV/cable, then cable.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The coax used in cable systems has 2 conductors, the inner solid copper wire and the outer shield. Both must be properly connected. Sometimes when a connection is made the inner copper wire is cut too short so it can not make a proper connection and sometimes the shield, some are wire and some are foil, is not tightly crimped in the connector. Whenever you make a hook up at a CG, be sure the connection is screwed together tightly, I have a wrench I leave in the wet bay so I can tighten and loosen the connection.

I also find many CG cable systems are poor so I carry an adjustable amplifier with me. It amplifies the signal going to my coach and is adjustable so I can set the right signal strength. They are available at Radio Shack and most big box stores.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritschw View Post
I have not been happy with cable reception at almost every park I've been to. Most of the time the picture is very snowy. Also, most of the time the problem is with the park and not your RV.
Unless it's with your TV.

Most common problem at our campground is that it has digital cable and many folks have TVs that don't have a digital (or QAM) tuner, especially cheap flat screens.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could be digital cable service that your TV is not workable with directly, you need a converter box. We have been to a couple campgrounds with digital cable - one could borrow a converter from the camp ground office.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #10

Never thought about that......that's a good possibility. I'll get the manual out and see if it's digital ready.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:25 AM   #11

Not it.....it has a digital tuner
Old 07-18-2016, 04:37 AM   #12
paz

One way to find out if it's the campground or your RV is to run a cable from the pedestal outside through a window directly to the back of the TV. If it works then, there is a problem with the coax or connectors somewhere in the RV. If not, it could be either the campground or the TV itself.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
Not it.....it has a digital tuner
A digital OTA tuner (ATSC) is not the same as a digital cable tuner (QAM). All currently produced TV's are required to have an ATSC tuner, but are not required to have a QAM tuner. Many lower end TV's don't have a QAM tuner, as most people would use a cable box.

I have found that most campground cable systems are still analog. And as stated above, not that good! The last one I connected to only had 13 channels, and many had poor sound and picture quality.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
A digital OTA tuner (ATSC) is not the same as a digital cable tuner (QAM). All currently produced TV's are required to have an ATSC tuner, but are not required to have a QAM tuner. Many lower end TV's don't have a QAM tuner, as most people would use a cable box.

I have found that most campground cable systems are still analog. And as stated above, not that good! The last one I connected to only had 13 channels, and many had poor sound and picture quality.
We typically insure that the Razr's amp (join-tenna) is turned off, it reverts to a pass through mode. Then channel scan the TV's using auto-non-digital of (on-air) broadcast input. "Cable" is kind of a misnomer for these antiquated analog CG head-in systems. They're typically using a broadspectrum amp to pass joined SD local & sat. feeds.

When wanting to view true broadcast (on-air) we turn on the amp (join-tenna) and rescan for available channels.

Happy motoring.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote