RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2017, 09:46 PM   #1

Getting Directv at home, already in coach

What would I run into if I try to get Directv at home after having it in coach for 8-10 years? I've had a HR24 and a H24 receivers in the coach for about 2 years now and with cable TV getting so expensive at home with such sorry number of channels I'm beginning to think about adding Directv at home also. Just wondering what Directv will let me do at home if I need service for 3 separate TVs in addition to having it in the coach.

With the receiver locations in the coach I wouldn't be able to switch receivers back/forth between the coach and house.

Or would I be better to just get Dish Network at home and keep the two places separate? At present I can suspend service on the coach for 5-6 months a year and save some money, but with an account having the coach and home together that probably wouldn't be possible.

Anyone ever done this?

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have Dish Network at home and in the coach. I just keep one receiver in the coach hooked to both tv's since we both watch the same shows. Dish charges us $7 for each additional receiver aside from the main one. If we want to watch different shows I switch one tv to the OTA antennae.

If the antennae on the coach can be tuned to receive Dish Network I would switch.

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
We have Dish Network at home and in the coach. I just keep one receiver in the coach hooked to both tv's since we both watch the same shows. Dish charges us $7 for each additional receiver aside from the main one. If we want to watch different shows I switch one tv to the OTA antennae.

If the antennae on the coach can be tuned to receive Dish Network I would switch.
The roof Winegard Trav'ler satellite dish can be switched from Directv to Dish but that would intale discarding the two Directv receivers I have in the coach and purchasing two Dish receivers. When we purchased our coach the dealer's tech worked the better part of one afternoon connecting the two receivers, and another afternoon trying to get both of them to work on our Winegard Carryout dome we use when under trees. Newmar has installed so much in the cabinet over the driver's seat that it's a real rat's nest of wires and cables that I'm not sure i would dare disturb anything up there in order to replace the one receiver that's in there. The other one in the bedroom closet would be a snap. Not sure how many receivers the satellite servers allow.

I was able to do any thing like this in my previous Itasca but everything in it was simple and well located.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had Dish so long at the house that I have forgotten what they furnished when they installed it. I think at the time they were offering installation into 4 rooms/stations. The first receiver does not have a monthly fee and we have 2 other receivers that we pay $7 each per month.

My brother had Dish and he switched to Direct and now he is back with Dish.

Call Dish and see what their current offers are and compare them to Direct.

As far as replacing the receivers you should be able to unplug the Direct and plug in the Dish.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

On my 2004 Itasca it would have been as easy as unplug/re-plug but not this Newmar. In the cabinet is a large audio amplifier box, on top of it sets a Bluray player, then the Directv receiver, then next is the Winegard
roof dish controller, and last sets two HDMI splitters. Don't think I can get the receiver out of that stack.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use my HR 24 in the house and the motorhome. I transfer the unit when we are ready to travel and otherwise I use it in one of the bedrooms. I switch out a mini for the HR24 so I could use it in both locations without have to pay for an extra receiver. The receiver doesn't know or care where it is located just so it get connected.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Directv won't let you have DNS (distant network service) or "mobile" and home based service on the same bill. At least they did not when we asked a long time ago. If you can add a receiver to the MH and install it in your stick house yourself, it will work but it I'm not sure it would be legal.

If you have home based service and take along a receiver in the MH it will work until you get far enough from the stick house and lose your local stations unless you happen to have L.A. or NYC for locals I think.

When we had Directv at our stick house and took a receiver on the road we were only going for a month or so max so we used the antenna for locals where we could get them and brought the box back home. They did offer to put the other receivers on "vacation" and give us the DNS service but it wasn't worth the hassle.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
My situation was just the opposite. We had Direct at home and needed to add it to the coach. All I had to do is add another receiver for $7 / mo. We get the same subscribed channels as home, less the local stations.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #9

I have 2 HiDef DirecTV receivers at home and standard def receiver in the RV. We have traveled 46 of the lower 48 and Alaska and have had no problems with DirecTV.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All I can say is Directv helped me setup the HR24 for my home and the RV. I turned in a mini client for the HR24 and stated I would be using it as my travel receiver. I pay for service on three TVs and I believe that is all they are concerned with. You can get from them the major networks package where when you travel you will still get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. The draw back is they are East and West coast stations. (New York, Los Angeles).
Old 03-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
All I can say is Directv helped me setup the HR24 for my home and the RV. I turned in a mini client for the HR24 and stated I would be using it as my travel receiver. I pay for service on three TVs and I believe that is all they are concerned with. You can get from them the major networks package where when you travel you will still get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX. The draw back is they are East and West coast stations. (New York, Los Angeles).
Are they letting you use DNS on the travel receiver while still having your locals at home at the same time? They told us we would have to suspend the home receiver while traveling and vice verse while at home or use both at home.

We have no plans to do this now, just curious.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, I have DNS and local channels on my travel receiver and my home based receivers when we are at home. You have the option to suspend the home receiver while traveling.

Several years back I obtained some of the DNS at my home base. Now Directv has a form for you to complete and send in to receive the DNS stations. I specifically asked if I would have to open a second account and the answer was no. I have attached a link to this form or you can contact them at 1-800-531-5000. It takes time if you get the wrong person on the phone.

DIRECTV
Attn: Mobile Network Services P.O. Box 6550 Greenwood Village, CO 80155-6550

http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/DNS...BYtlVQB82OMLoS
Old 03-12-2017, 12:14 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Stang37 - you stated " I specifically asked if I would have to open a second account and the answer was no.", yet the link you posted states, in order to receive DNS service a second account is required for an additional $15/mo. I'm confused. Can you help? Thanks
Executive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Executive View Post
Stang37 - you stated " I specifically asked if I would have to open a second account and the answer was no.", yet the link you posted states, in order to receive DNS service a second account is required for an additional $15/mo. I'm confused. Can you help? Thanks

I only have one account with DTV so no second account required for me. You do have to pay and extra $15.00 per month for the DNS package just like you do for local channels package. I / they (DTV) added the DNS service to my existing account which I've had since 1994. I subscribed for DNS service 15+ years ago by submitting waves to the local stations. I received wavers for ABC and FOX at my home but I couldn't get NBC and CBS to give me wavers back then. I didn't have a motorhome and DTV did not offer local channels at that time. Now they have this process which appears it does not required permission from your local channel providers.

Tags
directv