RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #15

I don't have a stand alone Dish receiver at my home that is compatible with the Playmaker 4 dish.

I have a Hopper 3 DVR and two Joey 4K units that depend on the 16 tuners in the Hopper 3 for viewing. My son is often at home while we are on the road. I am getting a Wally/DVR setup that is independent of the house setup. .

I will use the Wally/Playmaker4 from my trailer or the back of my truck. I will leave it active year round for $7 a month since I will use it while going to activities with or without my trailer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
If you take a receiver from home you should get everything on the road that you get at home, that is what I do and never have an issue. but I don't know what a Wally is so that mite be an issue for you
You must not camp far from home or you have CONUS (CONtinental United States) locals. Otherwise, when you travel outside the spot beam area of your home locals, you will no longer get your local TV stations.

I just checked . . . since you live in Carlisle, AK, then your local stations are from Little Rock. Little Rock is a CONUS market, so you should get them everywhere. These are the DISH CONUS markets:

Quote:
Why call Dish for anything, take receiver from home and it will work. I have never ever talked to Dish and I have been with them for 4 or 5 years and get same programming on the road that I get from home
Same as above + DISH allows you to change your local stations as you travel.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #17

Since my home system will always be active I don't believe I will be changing ever changing my localsl. Most of the games I watch are not on the locals anyway. If they are, my options are streaming or off air if possible or watching off the DVR later.

Reno locals serve much of northern Nevada, I am hoping that the spot beam in my area is fairly wide.
The next locals stations to the east of us are at Salt Lake City.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Why call Dish for anything, take receiver from home and it will work. I have never ever talked to Dish and I have been with them for 4 or 5 years and get same programming on the road that I get from home
If you have locals at home (not national DNS feed) you will lose them once you leave your local spot beam area. This is an FCC requirement. For example when I leave San Diego I usually lose locals about midway through Arizona. The rest of my programming still works but no locals unless I change my service address.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
Since my home system will always be active I don't believe I will be changing ever changing my localsl.
Meaning someone will be at home watching while you are on the road? If not then there's no harm in changing your service location temporarily. We do it several times when on longer trips and then change it back when we get home.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #20

I learned something new with this months Dish bill. I live in Houston but I have been in Miami for 5 weeks. I have the Miami locals so we can watch our network regular shows. My bill is $9 higher than regular monthly and it is because they bill according to local channel lineup, and Miami Florida is $9 more than Houston with taxes (seems most is tax)
The rep said the bill is according to where locals are on the 1st of the month.
Now to figure where the least expensive service in the country is and have the locals programed to there on the 1st, then back to where you are at.
I leave my Hopper and Joey at home and take a pair of Wally's with me.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
I learned something new with this months Dish bill. I live in Houston but I have been in Miami for 5 weeks. I have the Miami locals so we can watch our network regular shows. My bill is $9 higher than regular monthly and it is because they bill according to local channel lineup, and Miami Florida is $9 more than Houston with taxes (seems most is tax)

The rep said the bill is according to where locals are on the 1st of the month.

Now to figure where the least expensive service in the country is and have the locals programed to there on the 1st, then back to where you are at.

I leave my Hopper and Joey at home and take a pair of Wally's with me.
They can tell if you are actually in the area.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
If you have locals at home (not national DNS feed) you will lose them once you leave your local spot beam area. This is an FCC requirement. For example when I leave San Diego I usually lose locals about midway through Arizona. The rest of my programming still works but no locals unless I change my service address.
That's been my experience.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
They can tell if you are actually in the area.
No they (ie, DISH) can't.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #24

I have an adult son who lives with us. He travels with us sometimes, other times he is home. We aren't full timers and have no reason to change the locals away from our residence.

Most of our trips are less than 2 weeks. We are still fully employed so longer trip will have to wait until retirement.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
I have an adult son who lives with us. He travels with us sometimes, other times he is home. We aren't full timers and have no reason to change the locals away from our residence.

Most of our trips are less than 2 weeks. We are still fully employed so longer trip will have to wait until retirement.
No worries. Just pointing out the options.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:12 AM   #26

We have a satellite dish we bought 5 years ago & someone gave us a Direct tv receiver. We could never get it to work, nor could anyone at Direct tv. Finally they sent someone who knew what he was doing after 5 tries. He said Direct tv changed to digital that year & our receiver wouldn’t work.
After all the frustration with Direct tv, we changed our house to DISH , now have Apple TV & can use the DISH app to watch tv in the rv. Will never go back to Direct tv.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #27

Thanks on the heads up on the Dish app for the Apple TV. I have one on a TV at my workout location at my house. I have only been using Netflix and Amazon Prime. Good to know I can also access my DishTV DVR.

I have an iPad Pro with a HDMI adapter. I can use that to stream when I can get to Internet access via wireless or LTE.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundranurse1 View Post
Finally they sent someone who knew what he was doing after 5 tries. He said Direct tv changed to digital that year & our receiver wouldn’t work.

That guy was just telling you something to make you feel better - all satellite signals have ALWAYS been digital, at least with DirecTV and Dish. Some of the earlier C-band signals may have been analog - I did not start learning about satellite TV until we got our dirst DirecTV system back in 1995.

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish