Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #1

Going with Dish

I have been a Directv customer for about 4 years. I bought an Arctic Fox 22G last year and considered adding a Sat TV system for it. I followed the threads regarding getting HD working with Directv and decided it was more complex than I wanted to deal with.

I canceled my Directv and I am getting Dish installed at the house. I will get a Playmaker 4 sat dish and a Wally with DVR option for my trailer use.

I hope to be able to watch my Big 10 football and basketball games on the road this year. We camp off the grid away from cellular service so streaming isn't very helpful. As long as the game is not on ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX locals I should be good to go. If the game is on a local when I am out of my local spot beam area, I will have to watch it later on my home DVR or move to where I can stream or get a local off air broadcast.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2019, 09:54 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you've had DirecTV in the past, I would be interested to hear how DISH works out for you.

I call DirecTV every few years and threaten to leave, and they give me a $75/month discount for a year. I think they are catching on, it's getting harder to do these days. Thinking they will probably just let me go next time.

Does DISH have a deal for new subscribers?
Old 06-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I switched from DTV to Dish in April. Got a good deal, and bought a Wally for the RV. Easy tripod setup and good to go.

The reason was DTV would not offer any deals to me, after 8 years of being a customer.....ATT is that way.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #4

No hassle for me getting Directv HD......with a H24 receiver and a tripod set up from Satpro, comes in just fine....and read this morning, At&T might be selling Directv to Dish....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:09 AM   #5

I wanted to be able to use a simple auto setup system. I bought the Tailgater 4 bundle with a Wally and DVR drive. I will use it with my trailer or sometimes just with my truck. I have a 160 watt panel, batteries, MPPT controller and inverter under my truck's Leer cap. I sometimes want to watch a game while waiting for the dark on an evening astronomy event.

I only need one TV and didn't want to have to manually align a dish on a tripod just to get HD with Directv.

I waited about a year to do this because I thought that Directv was changing their system soon and hoped that I could get HD with them using the simple carry out dish. A year later and there still isn't good info about when changes may happen so I switched to DishTV.

I also like the features of the Hopper 3 at home when I am wanting to follow several football games at one.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post
I have been a Directv customer for about 4 years. I bought an Arctic Fox 22G last year and considered adding a Sat TV system for it. I followed the threads regarding getting HD working with Directv and decided it was more complex than I wanted to deal with.

I canceled my Directv and I am getting Dish installed at the house. I will get a Playmaker 4 sat dish and a Wally with DVR option for my trailer use.

I hope to be able to watch my Big 10 football and basketball games on the road this year. We camp off the grid away from cellular service so streaming isn't very helpful. As long as the game is not on ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX locals I should be good to go. If the game is on a local when I am out of my local spot beam area, I will have to watch it later on my home DVR or move to where I can stream or get a local off air broadcast.
When you are on the road just contact Dish and have them change your "Service Address" to the zip code you are in. That will give you locals for that area. You can call them or use the Chat feature on the Dish app. I find that chat is quicker and easier than calling.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
When you are on the road just contact Dish and have them change your "Service Address" to the zip code you are in. That will give you locals for that area. You can call them or use the Chat feature on the Dish app. I find that chat is quicker and easier than calling.
Actually you can do it with a simple MyDish app. No talking or texting anyone. Takes abouy 5 min.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:27 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Been a Direct customer for many years. Was considering having the old MotoSat dish changed to an RF Mogul one next January at Quartzsite but they had a special at the FMCA rally I'm at so I did the change but didn't activate the Wally as I want to change at home to a Hopper 3 and two wireless Joey's. Then I can just move them back and forth.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #9

We are not full time RVers and my son who lives with us but doesn't always travel with us. We will live the locals as the are so the home system will have locals and the Hopper 3 DVR can continue to record them.

I mostly want the DishTV for the trailer to give us some more options. I may plug the Wally into the home system when not traveling so we can have a lot of stuff to watch on the DVR.

Last year we camped 20 nights in the trailer. I was fine without TV but we did have to change our plans a few times to make sure we were at place we could stream a game while traveling.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
...and read this morning, At&T might be selling Directv to Dish....

Here's some information regarding THAT rumor: https://www.barrons.com/articles/at-...me-51559858658
Old 06-10-2019, 10:11 AM   #11

Got my Dish for my house installed yesterday. I am pleased that I no longer need to use my sling box to stream my home DVR and TV service to my mobile devices. It looks like the Dish Anywhere app provides this service directly from the 16 tuner Hopper 3 DVR in my house. I am also happy I can plug in my TV at work into the HDMI adapter for my iPad pro. DirecTV and Sling disabled the HDMI output on the mobile devices when using their apps in the last couple of years.

I hope my Playmaker 4/Wally/DVR bundle arrives this week for my trailer.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
No hassle for me getting Directv HD......with a H24 receiver and a tripod set up from Satpro, comes in just fine....and read this morning, At&T might be selling Directv to Dish....

That would be great and maybe they would let HBO and Cinemax back on Dish.

Since everyone has been leaving Direct due to crappy customer service (why we left after many years) and going to Dish they are losing too much business. Since AT&T also bought Time Warner they stopped providing HBO and Cinemax to Dish subscribers-should have not been permitted under merger agreement but have been gone for months now.

We had issues with two receivers in our S&B for over six months that they didn’t know how to fix “engineering is working on it” was the only answer.

Been real happy with Dish in the house so far and the signal is much more reliable in bad weather than Direct ever was.

Just my 2 cents.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocamper View Post

If you take a receiver from home you should get everything on the road that you get at home, that is what I do and never have an issue. but I don't know what a Wally is so that mite be an issue for you
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post

Why call Dish for anything, take receiver from home and it will work. I have never ever talked to Dish and I have been with them for 4 or 5 years and get same programming on the road that I get from home
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish