Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Smile Google Maps is Much Improved

Over the last ten years I have used literally everything for planning trips. I like old style maps but have tried and used all the mapping systems from DeLorme, Streets & Trips, TL Mapping program, several editions, Google Maps, Garmin and so on.

I tried to plan trips with Google Maps starting about 3 years ago when TL cancelled their software. It was hard to use and not intuitive. Since then I have tried it a few times. So a few weeks ago I started putting together this summers big trip and that I would revisit Google Maps in the "My Maps" section. Wow, it has been very much updated. It is far easier to use now and is quite intuitive. You have to go to the My Maps section and start a map. You name it and then add things. They now allow layers like Photoshop. So I started adding campground stops on one layer and points of interest on another. I am using one color to the way to our destination and another coming back.

There are a LOT of choices on how to mark your destinations. And looking things up and adding them to the map is very easy. I am doing this using a Mac. But a PC usually works even better with Google. And of course it auto integrates with your mobile device. Plus the price is, free. Free is good.

I don't know when they added all these features, but must have been in the last couple of months. I can now recommend highly Google Maps as a trip planner. Far and away easier than any of the software systems I have used that were on my computer. And I can even send a copy to my wife so she does not have to ask me where we are going.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #2

I just recently went back to Google Maps and was pleasantly surprised as well. Just getting into it but really like what I've seen so far.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #3

Shows traffic jams too.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Just used Google Maps in a town of 50,000 people in the Bay Area of NorCal on Friday.

It failed miserably. It could not locate well establish streets and directions to destination.

First time I ever had problems and in a very unlikely place.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:28 AM   #5

Google has improved quite a bit over the years. I also use it's sister app Waze when traveling to keep track of fast changing road conditions. Waze is a power hog so if you use it, make sure to keep your device plugged in!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cycling mode is not perfect but great when we are in a new area. Just click the bike and it does a reasonable job of keeping you on bike friedly roads if available.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I recently discovered a very neat function using Google Voice Navigation.

While you're navigating and you use the search on the navigation screen, it will search along the route ahead, tell you how many locations and how far off the route to get there. It doesn't send you backwards to a location that might be closer, but not in the direction you're traveling. If you touch the selection, it then updates the directions to get there and back on the route again.

I haven't had Google send me off on a wild goose chase in many years. Sometimes it will look like an unusual route because it knows about a road/bridge closure that you may be unaware off.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Over the last ten years I have used literally everything for planning trips. I like old style maps but have tried and used all the mapping systems from DeLorme, Streets & Trips, TL Mapping program, several editions, Google Maps, Garmin and so on.

I tried to plan trips with Google Maps starting about 3 years ago when TL cancelled their software. It was hard to use and not intuitive. Since then I have tried it a few times. So a few weeks ago I started putting together this summers big trip and that I would revisit Google Maps in the "My Maps" section. Wow, it has been very much updated. It is far easier to use now and is quite intuitive. You have to go to the My Maps section and start a map. You name it and then add things. They now allow layers like Photoshop. So I started adding campground stops on one layer and points of interest on another. I am using one color to the way to our destination and another coming back.

There are a LOT of choices on how to mark your destinations. And looking things up and adding them to the map is very easy. I am doing this using a Mac. But a PC usually works even better with Google. And of course it auto integrates with your mobile device. Plus the price is, free. Free is good.

I don't know when they added all these features, but must have been in the last couple of months. I can now recommend highly Google Maps as a trip planner. Far and away easier than any of the software systems I have used that were on my computer. And I can even send a copy to my wife so she does not have to ask me where we are going.
I used it exclusively to plan our 4000 mile trip that we began December 14 and ended last week. Worked very well. It was easier to work with than my Garmin RV 760.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
B. Bob; How did you download Google Maps? I looked for it in my Apps programs, in Google and Google Chrome, but couldn't find it. I have been trying to find a good replacement for MS Streets & Trips? Gripper
Old 03-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #10

Gripper - On my computer I use Google Maps just using the browser. I use either Chrome or Safari. On my iPad and iPhone I installed the Google Maps from the Apple App Store. I have a couple Windows computers too and I just use the browser on them.

I find Google Maps by logging into my personal gmail account and clicking dot tic tac toe pattern to the right of my name at the top right. To be able to save planned maps in Google Maps you will need to have a Google account. Otherwise how do you save them? So just open a free gmail account. When you open Google Maps on the top left of the page where will be a stack of three little lines. Click them and it will give you a legend. About half was down is "my maps".

Hope this helps. BTW I do still use a big 7" Garmin RV GPS when I am driving. Our Country Coach has a tray that lets me position my Garmin and then right to the left of it my phone. I prefer the turn to turn guidance from the Garmin as it has more details, like which lane to get in. And also, a big feature, huge actually, is it lets me put in the dimensions of my rig and then it makes route decisions based on rig size. And when I put the Gramin in the Jeep I just change over to car mode.

But for planning the new Google Map system is the best system I have ever used.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'm planning on using Google on my next trip, but will be bringing a Garmin as backup. Does the map app download the entire route map or do you need cell data coverage? We may travel off the beaten path and cell service might not be available. I realize a phone or iPad has GPS, but it has to display on a map, which is either stored, or downloaded 'live'.
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just replaced my rigs magnadyne oem radio with a pioneer satellite capable radio that included Apple car pllay. Apple car play allows you to use several apps like messenger, music, and Other apps such as Google maps. I now can run google maps my phone and display it on the receiver display. Thus I now have google maps on my dash display. No need for a nag system, and it even has voice commands to input and also voice guidance. Not a bad upgrade for $625
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks B. Bob, I will try what you suggested. Gripper
Old 03-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
question: Doesn't google maps and apple play eat up your phone data allowances? (unless you have an unlimited plan)

The Garmin does not use minutes, but it's nice to use iPhone to find a business or cheap gas then click 'go there'.
bud01234 is offline   Reply With Quote