Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Google Maps/Navigation v7, DO NOT UPGRADE TO

Well, after having to figure out how to get an older apk file and manually reload the Google maps software, I've come to warn anyone whose phone has Google Maps set to auto update, TURN IT OFF.

v7 strips a large amount of functionality out of the Google Maps and Navigator and complicates it use. Like making maps on Google's webpage full of POIs and then loading them to navigate with on your phone? Well, that feature disappears in v7.

Like accurate routes and search information, also gone in v7. Like a stand alone navigation app? Also gone.

So, do yourself a favor and DON'T update.

If you already did, androiddrawer.com has the previous APK files, but it will depend on your version of Android on your phone if you can set it to allow you to install non-market apps in order to be able to downgrade to the older version.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #2

For me that is a non-issue. Google Navigation requires a constant data connection and leave one up a creek without a paddle. Blind as a bat.

Get an app that carries the maps on board. Co-pilot is pretty cheap but TomTom is exquisite for more $.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

So because you don't like it or have difficulty using it, you think everybody will?

Interesting.

Ed
Old 08-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
IMHO I would dump google maps and navigator and use Waze. I have been using that exclusively for over two years now and haven't regretted it once. It gives you weather alerts, traffic alerts and offers to reroute and also tells you the red light and speed camera locations and where smokey is hanging out. When planning a route you can set it up to offer three routes to choose from. It depends on community input for traffic and police trap accuracy, but so many people use it now that it is quite accurate. The best thing of all is it is totally free!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yes the update is a little clunky but not difficult to work with. On a trip now and looking things up takes a click or 2 more but not that hard to work with. We use the Garmin Dezl for a GPS and use google maps for looking up places and things and to call the businesses that we want to maybe go to all the while the GPS still has us on our route. Thou for about 100 miles we had no data connection available while on the road but just phone call capabilities. The GPS still could look things up thou with the satellite connections, which we did for food and gas and hotels (driving just the car for this trip so hotels .....)
Old 08-11-2013, 02:47 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
One of the big reasons I went to a smartphone in the first place, like a number of other people, was because of the flexibility of the tie in between google maps webpage and the smartphone and the removal of need of having to buy a separate GPS unit or app.

It did a great job of alot of things and is also used by the Allstays RV & Camp application to generate the maps shown in their application.

The big changes to driver friendliness of the Navigator function (Doing a reroute is no longer a 2 button operation, it now requires toggling a poorly located menu button, then going to a sub menu), plus the removal of being able to load preplanned travel maps (drove a 10,000 mile loop across the northern US using nothing but google maps and allstays, without any problems staying on a data uplink, and when I knew there wasn't one, the built in Offline map mode (Which downloads map data to the phone for no data connection use) made it possible to work without needing it, all features that have been removed or hidden in the current version.

My warning is mostly targeted at those that are traveling, the roll out of the newer version was staggered based on android OS version, so, it didn't hit me till the day I posted.

Had this happened while I was on the road, it would have caused a lot of problems and I wanted to warn anyone who might be using the saved maps function off from updating because of how badly that functionality was broken by google in the v7 update.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget63 View Post
IMHO I would dump google maps and navigator and use Waze. I have been using that exclusively for over two years now and haven't regretted it once. It gives you weather alerts, traffic alerts and offers to reroute and also tells you the red light and speed camera locations and where smokey is hanging out. When planning a route you can set it up to offer three routes to choose from. It depends on community input for traffic and police trap accuracy, but so many people use it now that it is quite accurate. The best thing of all is it is totally free!
This might have something to with Google's purchase of Waze.