Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Got the new Newmar Ventana - with DirecTV - should I have gotten DISH?

Hello,

Today was the day, got my new coach, it's amazing. I oped for the DirecTV and it may have been a mistake. I'm not a full timer and today in calling Wineguard it is news to me that DirecTV doesn't offer pay as you go service. DISH does. Should I change to DISH? I wonder if Newmar will swap the antennas for me? The DISH is actually slightly cheaper. There is also a conversion kit Wineguard tells me, probably $800 in total to get switched over...

What should I do?
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #2

Regardless on the cost of DISH, I wouldn't have it. Had it once before and quickly changed back to Directv. I have Directv in my home as well as in my coach. I just pay the extra charge for the DVR's in the coach. It's only a few bucks for the monthly fee for the DVR's in the coach. I get all the same channels in my coach as I do in my home. Often times my wife wants me to record shows to watch while at an RV park. To do this, I added a HD antenna on my motor home garage and via an A/B switch, I can push "B" then plug in the exterior antenna to my DVR's and record while it's in the garage. I wired up a coaxial cable under the coach just in front of the right front wheel. The cable plugs in there then when I leave, I unplug it, switch the A/B to "A" and when I get to a camp ground just raise the HD antenna.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks...I have Verizon FIOS at home and don't really want to lose it so switching to DirecTV at home really isn't an option. I wonder if I just need to suck up what seems like it's going to cost me $60/mo for TV in the coach.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #4

Regardless of the cost of DirecTV. I wouldn't have it.

Besides Pay-As-You Go, DISH has the better technology.

However, generally people go with what they have at home.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #5

Also a fan of Dish.
Depending which roof antenna you have you may NOT be able to get HD with DirecTV. Might have to change that out also.
Dish on the other hand can get HD.
HD is a deal breaker for me.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What antenna do you have? Unless a Traveler with Direct you will not get high definition picture.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I use Dish. I looked into Direct TV, but the HD programming and pay as you go were the deciding factors for me.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You didn't specify antenna type, but from your description it sounds like you may have a Trav'ler. If so and you do want to change, contact Don Sweger at TVformyRV.com (a supporter and advertiser on this forum) about a conversion kit for the antenna. If by chance you have a dome antenna, the conversion is normally just a change in DIP switches inside the dome.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Directv allows you to put the account on hold four times a year, but only the active time counts toward the commitment.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Thanks...I have Verizon FIOS at home and don't really want to lose it so switching to DirecTV at home really isn't an option. I wonder if I just need to suck up what seems like it's going to cost me $60/mo for TV in the coach.
depending on how often you use your motorhome,like season wise...think you can put your Direct on vacation...2x's a year..for 3 months at a time...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes. I have the trav'ler. Elkhart says they can convert to dish for 550. Weighing options such as do I want to escape TV when camping! I do like NFL.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AS I understand it Dish pay as you go is on a monthly basis, so if you want to use it once during the month you pay for the whole month.
Also, ignore the false advertising from Winegard that their dish is the only one that receives Direct HD, the RF Mogul dish does also as does the old MotoSat HD dish like I have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Yes. I have the trav'ler. Elkhart says they can convert to dish for 550. Weighing options such as do I want to escape TV when camping! I do like NFL.
I believe you can only get the NFL Ticket with Directv. This is why I choose Directv over Dish 15+ years ago.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:04 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Go with what you have at home. It's a toss up otherwise, Ford and Chevy. I've had both at home and in the RV. Currently have DirectTV. Cost $7 / mo extra for the RV.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, dish, newmar, vent, ventana