Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
GPS

Hi there fellow RVers,
Im looking to purchase a new GPS to use in my class C and am looking towards the Rand Mcnally 5510. Anyone have this unit and what do you think of it? Thanks to everyone who answers.

Mike
CNYRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I had the 5510 for 6 months or so then changed to the 7710 for the larger screen.

I found the 5510 to be an effective RV GPS. I had no issues while I owned and would buy one again if I was in the market for a 5" screen.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We've been happy with our 7710. I presume the 5510 function is similar, save the smaller screen.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

I kind of am obsessed with GPS units - I buy them impulsively and for no good reason like some people buy guns or cars or motorcycles or clothes or shoes. The Rand McNally unit is currently my favorite (5510). Reviews for them have been very mixed - lots of very bad and lots of very good. I have used it since about the time they hit the market with good success. I must admit, however, Garmin has a couple of new models that look awfully attractive.

I would suggest that you might want to take the time to find a retailer displaying several different models if you can and see which one works like you want it to.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

One thing that is really important to me with a GPS is that either the traffic service or the mapping data itself has knowledge of actual historical road speeds. I get really frustrated with the older technology GPS devices that just base the route calculation and e.t.a on generic road classifications. I've been sent down too many heavily congested roads in metropolitan areas just because the GPS classifies that road as a divided highway and thinks that I can fly 50 miles an hour down it. In your experience with the Rand McNally GPS units, do you I get the sense that they incorporate historical road speed data into their routes and e.t.a?
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sent the rand GPS back as the screen was virtually unreadable in sunlight on the dash of MH. Then tried a 7710 and sent tnhat back after it tried to rount me down a dirt road to someones farm. Have had several GARMIN UNITS and have an dezl 7 in unit on order now.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
...Then tried a 7710 and sent that back after it tried to route me down a dirt road to someones farm...
I don't think there's a consumer GPS made that won't mess up somewhere at sometime, thus the perennial stories of people that blindly followed their's into the wilderness, with some sad results.

The 7710 we have is only our second GPS. The first was a Garmin. There was an area in Chicago where it liked to get you off the freeway, run you through a few blocks of city traffic, only to put you back on the freeway a couple of exits farther down the road. Our 7710 likes to take a circuitous route as we get within 15 miles of our place in South Carolina.

The software is not infallible. You need to keep the brain engaged too, and be prepared for a rare and unwelcome adventure.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have a 5510 and am as happy as I will be with a gps. Just have to bear in mind that they are not perfect. Has it made mistakes? Yes, it tried to send us under a bridge marked at 10' 6" while set at 12'. It sent us down a road that led to a cul de sac turn around. But that being said, my Garmin has done the same kinds of thing. The only unit that never failed me was my IWAY, which they don't make anymore. It had no bells and whistles, but it never failed on routing. Also, I left it in the RV for almost a year and the battery was still charged. Both the Garmin and the Rand will discharge overnight if unplugged.
By the way, have not had the severe screen glare problem with the Rand, but the Garmin is easier to read in bright light.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
We have a Garmin and are very happy with it. I'm not looking to buy a new GPS yet but if I were I might want to have a look at the RM 7710, but given the comments on some of the threads, I would likely head to CW and put my mitts on one before committing to buying it.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I don't think there's a consumer GPS made that won't mess up somewhere at sometime, thus the perennial stories of people that blindly followed their's into the wilderness, with some sad results.

The software is not infallible. You need to keep the brain engaged too, and be prepared for a rare and unwelcome adventure.
JMonroe, Truer words were never spoken, nothing made or programed by man is perfect; and if common sense, was truly common; everyone would have it.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

For some reason my 5510 is corrupted and I cannot update it. It is 2 years old and out of any warranty. I tried working with Rand McNally but they couldn't determine the problem. It does still work as a gps, just not with the latest maps and construction data.

Up until now, I've been generally satisfied with the unit. It has at times tried to send me off in the wrong direction ( I let it do this once ) but I've learned to preview my trips before departing just to check for similar problems.

I went to the Rand McNally Store and see they have reduced the price of the 5510 to $179. Maybe they are clearing out inventory before bringing out a newer version. Here's the link to the store RV GPS - GPS Navigation
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #12

I have a RVND 7710 that I purchased from Camping World in August 2012. The 12VDC charger stopped woking February 2013. Stated using 120VAC charger with an inverter. Now am not able to charge the unit. The problem seems to be in the USB connection in the unit because the unit is no longer recognized by a computer running the Rand Dock software. I have written e-mails to Rand and Camping World expressing my displeasure with the unit. I will be contacting Rand tomorrow for warranty service. We'll see how that turns out!

Has anyone actually gotten a response from Rand after submitting comments an issues using "TELL RAND"? I never have! I wonder if anyone really looks at the comments and suggestions.
Fireman2985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #13

Fireman, I suggest you call them. That's how I found out that the 5510 was on sale. The tech spent a lot of time with me on the phone until we finally gave up.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps