Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I'm using the Garmin 255 T Nuvi....the one that talks. I've had it about 2 1/2 years- it's fine, but get the one that advises lane selection too- that's the feature I think is really valuable. Also, I wish it would announce turns a little earlier- many times I've had to make U-turns to get back.
Which one and how many advises lane selection?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #30

Triple E Owners Club
Co-Pilot has released their Version 8 Laptop. Works with the 64 bit processor. RV ready. CoPilot Live v8 Laptop: ALK Technologies
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #31

GPS

I use my Droid. Works great, free, automatically up to date. However, you need a good 3G signal.

Otherwise Garmin Nuvi model sumthin' er other. It can go in the car, truck, motorhome, even motorcycle.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
The features that I've found most helpful in a GPS are:
  1. The next turn is listed on a header at the top of the screen.
  2. An arrow is shown in the upper left corner of the screen showing the direction of the turn off the travel road(this is not lane assist). This can either indicate an exit or a merge onto a different highway. Multiple arrows are shown for the number of lanes with the number of lanes for the intended merge is in bold.
  3. In the same area of #2 is the distance to the next turn.
I've also notice that when local road changes have been made and there is a conflict between what the voice directions and the displayed directions are telling me I find the displayed directions are more correct.

what gps has all of the above?
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #33

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
what gps has all of the above?
RV ready. CoPilot Live v8 Laptop: ALK Technologies

I have been using CoPilot since 2003. The people that have not like this software, I find, have not taken the time to understand of the features. You are able to completely understand where you are going before you start the engine.

I have tried others but I find myself always coming back to this product. I am not sure but I believe with this new version it will tell you the speed limit of the road you are on as well as your speed.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had a Pioneer GPS in the motorhome, didn't like it, bought a highly rated Garmin GPS, didn't like it, have a Clarion GPS in our current MH OK but... My criteria for a GPS is the ability to input a destination when you don't have a definitive address. For instance, Fort Wilderness in Florida. I can map from my "current location" to "Fort Wilderness, FL" and in less than 3 seconds my Iphone routes me to the entry gate. I haven't found any other GPS product that can accomplish that type of mapping input. My IPad can accomplish the same feature.

Ron K.
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
Had a Pioneer GPS in the motorhome, didn't like it, bought a highly rated Garmin GPS, didn't like it, have a Clarion GPS in our current MH OK but... My criteria for a GPS is the ability to input a destination when you don't have a definitive address. For instance, Fort Wilderness in Florida. I can map from my "current location" to "Fort Wilderness, FL" and in less than 3 seconds my Iphone routes me to the entry gate. I haven't found any other GPS product that can accomplish that type of mapping input. My IPad can accomplish the same feature.

Ron K.
Apparently there isn't enough search power or data space to be able to do free phrase searching in a GPS. My TomTom GPS comes close, but is still lacking.

I agree, that the free phrase searching on my phone with Google maps is much better than my GPS.

The advantage the smartphone, iphone, and IPad have is the availability of a high power search engine (google or others) via WiFi or cell service data plan to do the heavy lifting. These engines do the search and return the basic information to the device to display the map.

There are not many WiFi enabled GPS's and even fewer that can handle a cell phone data plan. I think the best chance for GPS's would be to use bluetooth to tether to a cell phone to simulate what we get on the smart-phone and the IPad. I don't know if any of these exist.

Another point that should be mentioned is that even with Google searching for some Oregon State parks will not return a location for the entrance to the park, but will return an address to the administrative office of the Park which is often in a nearby town. The Oregon Park Service could do a better job publishing their addresses. Note: when typing Fort Wilderness into Google Maps you have to use the 3rd returned entry for the Fort Wilderness Entry Point, though it appears any of the three will get you close.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #36

Triple E Owners Club
CoPilot Live v8: ALK Technologies and CoPilot Live v8 Laptop: ALK Technologies

These both do what you are talking about. The laptop I use the verson wireless, so where ever I can get a cell signal I am on the web. This is why it is called 'CoPilot Live"
Old 11-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
CoPilot Live v8: ALK Technologies and CoPilot Live v8 Laptop: ALK Technologies

These both do what you are talking about. The laptop I use the verson wireless, so where ever I can get a cell signal I am on the web. This is why it is called 'CoPilot Live"
Neither of these is a standalone GPS. Copilot Live is an app that runs on a smart phone and the laptop version is just that; it runs on a laptop. My post focused on how to make a permanently mounted (almost) GPS useful using free text searches. Replacing it with a smart phone or laptop were not options. Sorry.

Really what we are talking about is convergence of capabilities. At one point you needed one device for telephone, one for GPS, another to receive text messages, and a computer to reach the internet. This is now collapsing to a smart phone.

As it stands now I have yet to see a smart phone that could absolutely replace a GPS given the noisy environment in a vehicle (speaker too small, display too small and dim). I would not want any of the GPS's as a cell phone (too large, not enough capability), and even though a smart phone can do pretty well on the internet.....there's nothing like a 22" monitor for accessing the Internet.

Why can't we just have the Dick Tracy watch, it seemed to do everything. All of the offerings right now have all kinds trade offs....too small, too big, not loud enough, not bright enough, too heavy, poor battery life....
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #38

Triple E Owners Club
Okay, I understand. Have you ever gone to this site and post your question? These people have allot of input with the gps folks and might be able to answer your question.

Laptop GPS World Good knowledgeable people.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #39

My friends that work on Android stuff (at the OS/hardware level) say we're about 1 generation from a phone that can replace the laptop, by plugging into displays/keyboards/mice/bulk storage and acting like one when you're semi-stationary, but still cutting free and being a smartphone when you need it to. Main barrier seems to be graphics performance and the inclusion of the DisplayPort output jack. The handful that have 720P output now are so pushed to the wall dealing with DRM they can't do the interface.

Say, 1 year for bleeding-edge first generation devices, 2 years until they're common and fairly cheap. There's a 3G-capable 7-inch Android tablet due out in a few months, but it will only do voice calls via Skype or Google Voice. There's currently an Archos 7 inch Android tablet, but it needs a USB dongle for a cellular connection.

--Dave
Dave Rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #40
Cat

Google maps on droid and ipad

I like them much better than my Garmin or my alk copilot. Much easy to input and search. I found out once you get your directions downloaded on to the Ipad-there has to be a wifi or data connection from ATT to do this -- it no longer needs the wifi or the data connection. It will guide you. If you want to change your route or do other searches you will need to reconnect. Very very cool didnt buy the Ipad or the Droid for the GPS but i wont use anything else now.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would like to bring this back to GPS for a minute and get some recomendations. I do not use a smart phone when traveling and I do want to use a GPS for my MH (used but new to me). In my trailering days, my Magelan was adequate for basic routes but lacked many features. What out of the box GPS do you folks recomend for MHs? I am interested in the low clearance issue!

Thanks,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #42

Triple E Owners Club
CoPilot Live v8 Laptop: ALK Technologies
*Turn-by-turn voice directions
*12'6" or 13' height clearance restrictions on highways
*Automatically avoids U-turns, sharp turns, narrow roads and dense urban streets when possible
*Propane Restriction Routing to completely avoid tunnels that prohibit propane tanks

I know I have been pushing this product but I truly like it. I started using CoPilot back in 2003. I have tried others but find my self coming back to Copilot.

There is a Laptop Truck version due out this week. Just waiting to see what it has to offer. But for right now the standard Laptop version has all that I need for my RV.

The turn by turn direction will show you the next turn and the very next turn. This help when you have to turns close together. Also with the split screen you can watch just about anything on long your trip.

The cost is more then reasonable.