Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
GPS Comparison

Am looking at replacing my Garmin Nuvi GPS. There was a Rand McNally thread here which discussed a lot of info for the Tripmaker, pros and cons.

Now just found out that Magellan has also a model similar to the Tripmaker, I think it's called the RoadMate. I haven't seen any discussion on this one.

From those that have either one of these models, which would be the best one suited for our use in driving an RV? Appreciate any comments, both positives and negatives on each ones features.

Thanks in advance!
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #2

If you have an iphone or Android, you might also consider coPilot Live. I find that since I put it on my iphone, I have quit using my Garmin and my Wife's Tomtom.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I bought the Magellan RV9165T-LM and it lasted about a month before going dead. I then got the RVND7710 and have very mixed emotions about it. It has great features, many more than the Magellan, but it is very difficult to see the display in bright light. I am still trying to decide about which one I want to keep, but right now it looks like it will be the RM 7710. Every day I find another great feature that I like about it. We'll see.........
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did a bit of research before making my purchase. Once you get past the marketing both units (the RM 7710 and Magellan RV9165T) are similar. Both have been designed for RVers. Both have a 7" screen, both have complaints that the shininess of the screen causes a bit of glare issue for some. Both have people who like theirs, both have people who have returned theirs.

The biggest differences I found:

the RM allows you to load custom POIs (from POI factory and others) which the Magellan doesn't;

the Magellan has a Bluetooth connectivity which works with many (but not all) cell phones to allow it to be used as a hands-free speaker phone. The RM does not have Bluetooth.

Last I knew, the RM included the AC charger in the box, it was extra for the Magellan. Both included the standard cig lighter power cord.

The Magellan has 'live traffic' updates built in, but comes with ads which pop up. The RM 'live traffic' is extra and requires an add-on antenna.

Hope this helps...
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #5

I have had Garmin's, Tom Tom's, and the Magellan. They all are great and they all sux. The best thing I can say about the Magellan is the 7 inch screen. I've had it quit working in the middle of a trip where I knew not where I was.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

emiddleb: your research probably would have me lean towards the RVND 7710 -I've read somewhere in this forum that Recreation Nation has the best price there is for $359.99 with a 5% off for being an IRV2 member. And it comes w/ a Free Lifetime Maps to boot.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Camping World has the 7710 listed for $319.99 in the latest sale flyer. Also a 10% off coupon for next Sat (6/9). I'm probably going to go for it.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Garmin is the best GPS brand.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #9

I would highly recommend the Garmin DeZL series, you can set up a profile with height, weight and width of your rig, then it will not take you on roads you shouldn't be on. Ours has been fantastic. Also, spend the money for lifetime map updates, worth every cent!
jstbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Reviews at Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstbu View Post
I would highly recommend the Garmin DeZL series, you can set up a profile with height, weight and width of your rig, then it will not take you on roads you shouldn't be on. Ours has been fantastic. Also, spend the money for lifetime map updates, worth every cent!
I read many reviews on the two Garmin models for truckers (including the DeZL) that said they were not really trustworthy for RVers. Truckers tend to stay on highways and Garmin got it some restrictions right (both models) but there were problems with routing and knowing truck routes from those where trucks are not allowed. The RVers, who are often off the interstate) were really troubled with height restrictions being faulty (almost to a person). Since we have a large MH, this is a real concern to us. I know that no GPS system is perfect, and I have also always loved my Garmins, but I am going to pass these models by in favor of trucker's maps (paper) and MS Streets and Maps.
SweetieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #11

We've got about 5,000 miles on the 7710 now and are very happy with it. Only thing we don't love is that its you have to define multi-point stops to force specific routes and it will only display the detail of the first leg of the route. Not that ugly to do, and only takes a few minutes, but a "favor highway xxx" feature would have been a really nice. I'd still highly recommend it.
SinkorSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #12

We have had a Garmin dezl for more than a year, traveled from WA, OR, CA, AZ, NM, TX, OK and LA, the Garmin has worked flawlessly. It has never taken us someplace we shouldn't go or couldn't fit.
jstbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We have about 4K miles on our RM7710 and it has been flawless. My DW has control of the unit and loves it. No problems with glare, she just turns, it away from the sun. We use a sand bag mount that holds it just fine.

I should point out regarding "glare" that we use it in both our class A with a medium tint on the windows as well as our toad that has a darker tint. ymmv
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on your dw.
Mine sits in the passenger seat and bitches at me when i suggest she do anything to help navigate, find a place to stay, even crank in the step cover when i need to exit for fuel...

Seriously makes me wonder why i keep her...
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comparison, gps