Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #1

Gps for RV

Any suggestions on what GPS works best for my RV ?
Csmith5252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
We just bought the Rand McNally 7" Screen RV GPs, we are on our first trip with it now and I'm loving it.
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Also bought the Ran McNally 7" GPS, used it once and it worked great. It has a lot of features and it does take some time to learn the full potential of this unit

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club

What do you want it to do? Are you worried about low clearances? Then a trucker or RV specific GPS would be the solution. Are you looking for RV camping sites and service centers? Then an RV GPS, not a trucker one. I use a Garmin Nuvi 1490 because of the large screen and the lifetime map and traffic updates. I didn't see the need for paying more for a RV GPS, I don't think there are enough low bridges that I needed one. I weighed price, function, features, and visibility and settled on the one I bought, others will weigh the variables differently and come to a different product. Best bet, look for models available, google reviews and features, then makes your choice.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #5

We use VZ Navigator on our Verizon cell phones. It costs $10 a month, it is constantly updated, includes truck setting in the preference menu, included traffic and construction alert features and search capability for locations along your route. This is definitely worth the $120 a year to us.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csmith5252 View Post
Any suggestions on what GPS works best for my RV ?
My RVND 7710 BY Rand McNally worked great on my recent trip ti Yellowstone and back. It warns and or diverts you around obstacles that your RV would find difficult as you program all the particulars of your rig in the memory. Also it has some other great features like checklists and logs. If you find differences between what is really on the road and what the GPS shows there is a feature that lets you transmit back to Rand when you dock the unit with your computer.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #7

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
To the thread starter: There are a few threads on the RandMcNally 7710, I would like to suggest you do a search here for subjects on this unit before purchasing one to help you on your purchase decision, there seems to be mixed opinions. It is my understanding from posts about this unit, there is an upgraded unit coming soon and all that purchased the 7710 paid to do testing for RM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had the Rvnd7710 for a couple of months and love it. We took a 1200 mile trip with it and it worked flawlessly. I also have the Delorne street pilot that I use with my laptop as I drive and they seemed to agree most of the time. It is a lot better than the DW's directions of "turn here. RIGHT NOW!" after we have passed the road.

Bart Anderson
Old 07-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart anderso View Post
It is a lot better than the DW's directions of "turn here. RIGHT NOW!" after we have passed the road.

Bart Anderson

But not near as exciting. It will nag you though!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
Old 07-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #10

Used my Rand McNally on a 600 mile trip. Worked well except took a longer way than it should have. On return I set waypoints so it would use an easier route. Sometimes hard to see when sun is at certain angles. Passed a lot of gas stations OK for motor home that did not show up on the display. Maybe I have it set up wrong but I have all gas stations checked. I check it's routing with google and Motion X before I go to be sure it's correct.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #11

One more thing. On one section of road marked 60 mph the Rand said limit was 55. For an hour it kept repeating "speed warning" every few minutes which became very annoying.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
One more thing. On one section of road marked 60 mph the Rand said limit was 55. For an hour it kept repeating "speed warning" every few minutes which became very annoying.
Thus the nagging I was talking about!

You can silence her by changing the warning settings in preferences. Also, I just downloaded the latest update today that is suppose to fix some of those issues.

I have told mine that I wasn't married to it and thus she didn't have the right to nag, she didn't care.....
Old 07-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
We have this Tom Tom http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003B3P2CY/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1343011720&sr=8-11&keywords=xxl540 and it's worked out very well for us. Low Clearances is available from a third party and this unit comes with lifetime Maps and Traffic.
There is also a free altitude download available.

I have since upgraded to this unit a Sony XNV-660BT, whitch also has a Tom Tom Nav Unit but still use the Tom Tom in the Toad.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%213500
Dick
Old 07-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Just bought the Rand McNally 7" Screen RV GPs. Tested it around town and I'm loving it. Also like was mentioned, in the set up section you can set what warnings and how far in advance do you want to hear it or turn it off. You can set the speed to not warn you until "X" amount of miles over the speed limit. I set mine at 5 over. Or you can turn off the warnings you don't want to hear. You also can immediately report to RM if the speed limit is wrong on a section of road where you are. This unit is SO flexible I couldn't believe it. Love the additional data screen to determine Many things like how long you've been on the trip as well as just on this leg so you can determine how long it took total travel time to destination AND how long you've actually been behind the wheel. Also gives you avg speed on uphills and avg speed on downhills. I use my NUVi 1690 LMT for the tow vehicle.
Tkes CSV files for your own uploaded POI files.( like Woodall's campsite sites, or Flying "J"/Pilot gas stations.) Also will compute cost per mile fuel cost. SO many things!
TXUSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps