Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

GPS info

Please forgive if you've discussed this before - picking up our FIRST class A tomorrow! Need help choosing a GPS system and a TV system? Thanks for any information!
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GPS info

For GPS/NAV I use copilot app on a 8" android tablet. About $150 invested. Works well.

For TV. OTA sometimes when/where available. But most often Dish satellite service via dome antenna on the roof or portable Tailgater on dome is blocked. Also Netflix via IPhone with HDMI connection to TV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
For tv we have a winegard traveler dish with Direct tv. We take the receiver out of the sticks and bricks and it works fine, minus the local channels when away from our home area. Crank up the antenna for the locals and switch back and forth.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:43 PM   #4

GPS = we use the Garmin RV 660LMT. You can input your length, width and weight and the unit will route you around low bridges, or any bridges that can't take the coaches weight.

TV System = we use the Winegard Pathway X2 portable system with Dish Network and love it. The Pathway can see either eastern or western satellites and can support two receivers. It cost us less than $7 per month.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

Whatever you do, stay way from the Rand McNally GPS. I had one for ONE trip. That was enough. Routed me to dead end streets, non-existent interstate on-ramps and narrow dirt roads. Totally worthless. I returned it and bought a Garmin Dezl. I'm very happy with it.

The Garmin mentioned above is the current version.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Even though a garmin gps came with ours (in the dash), it's old and we opted for the Garmin RV760 portable

And we have a winegard with directv and dvr

welcome and good luck ! be patient and enjoy the rv to learn what you 'NEED"
Old 03-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have the Magellan RV model myself and really like it. Whichever one you get go with the 7" screen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use copilot app on a tablet and on the phone. The big advantage of copilot is you can down load maps at home and you aren't using data on the road.
What Class A are you getting?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #9

gps

Thank you all for your quick responses. If you encounter an RV horn blaring, voices yelling LOOK OUT! It will be us driving our 1st RV for the 1st time. We've never driven anything that out-weighs us by many tons! Ron & Claudia
Old 03-13-2016, 08:15 PM   #10

Thor Windsport 35C. It's a bath & a half gasser, new from Camping World Jacksonville Fl.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
I just use over the air with winegard with a bat wing. I use the Rand McNally 7735. Have not had any problems with the unit. I does have a very short battery life. Any GPS should never be trusted! I also have a TomTom that I use in my SUV. It too can take you to dead end streets. Common sense must prevail. Always look at maps on line, then use the gps as a back up. I like using road maps myself, just like the gps as a distance thing.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Most incorrect routing is from:

Mostly - old maps - update them !
Second - old routing program - again update them !
Third - BAD routing programs - no fix except go to another mfg.

even a brand new gps has old maps in it,
that's why the good mfg's like Garmin give you free lifetime map and program updates online with most of their newer units.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally I like the Garmin 760 it is a nice unit. I was given a Rand Mcnally RV tablet so I use it. One of the advantages of the tablet is that it has a rand mcnally atlas built into it. YOu can open the tablet app then have a rand mcnally road atlas available. The rand mcnally is an android tablet so it can do quit a few other things. It also has a backup camera app. All you need to do is buy the camera and run the cable. It has a lot of applications and is pretty close to a 760 in price. The tablet is brand new and Rand needs to do a lot more with it. It has bluetooth capability but will not connect with your phone to answer phone calls. There are other things that I believe it needs to do.

If you are going to spend any serious time in your class A and you watch much tv then spend the money and have them install a Winegard traveller in either dish or directv whichever you like better. If you only need something to watch the weather or an occasional sports game or tv one of the domes will work but basically I think they are a waste of money except for the use I mentioned above.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:06 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Even though a garmin gps came with ours (in the dash), it's old and we opted for the Garmin RV760 portable

And we have a winegard with directv and dvr

welcome and good luck ! be patient and enjoy the rv to learn what you 'NEED"
I just found out last week that Garman will no longer do upgrades for our Kenwood combo unit. Garman says I can try and find a card on eBay or Amazon.
Guess I'll skip it and use the RM 7720 I already have, plus it's got lifetime updates. So far it's never routed us wrong and I like the interface but don't like it being another thing on the dash.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps