RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #1

GPS or GPS Tablet

After 12 years our GPS has finally irritated us enough to start looking into another navigation assistant. Scrolling through the forums I have been reading about tablets with GPS and I am intrigued. Would be interested in what pros or cons people might have on these systems.

Rockhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #2

IMO...

PROS
- if you already have the phone or tablet you save $. many GPS apps are free (Waze, Google Maps, etc)
- no updating maps..it's done for you.
- you can add waypoints to a route or adjust your route

CONS
- unless you use Co-Pilot or something designed for RV or Truck the GPS MAY take you on roads you may not want to be on.
- RV GPS apps may not be free
- your tablet is tied up as a GPS.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #3

Another pro to using a tablet/phone for navigation is that most of them have real time traffic and safety updates.

The largest downside is that you have to have cellular or wifi signal for it to work.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:26 PM   #4

I use both. The Garmin RV 660 is on all the time. My wife runs an Android phone running google maps (download the maps offline).
Old 12-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

Devices that do not have a GPS receiver built in (like Garmin or your truck system) are not GPS systems. They require cell or wifi to interface with Google maps or other. A true GPS will work as long it has power and can "see" satellites.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:36 PM   #6

Personally, I like the standalone Garmin RV 770 but newer versions are available. I have tried numerous tablet GPS/nav apps, including Copilot, Sygic, et al, and I find the user interfaces to be horrible. You should try several and see what works best for you. The Garmin is not perfect, buy is my first choice. When travelling, I have 2 Garmins going and routinely cross check with Google maps, Waze, and paper maps.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:46 PM   #7

We like traveling the back roads and seeing the beautiful views. However, when we do, our phone gps fades in and out as we leave cell areas and gain them again.

However, our Garmin GPS stays on and gives us traffic updates and will ask if we want to re-route us on a different road when it detects a slow down in traffic up ahead. This service is not available in all areas, but it seems like we hear the traffic updates in more and more areas as we travel.

All that being said, we rarely use the phone or notebook gps unless we are in a city with good AT&T signal and are going to stay there.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
I use both.
i do, too. we have a Rand McNally built-in to the dash but i also keep either Waze or, if storms are possible, weather radar running on the tablet.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfkef View Post
Devices that do not have a GPS receiver built in (like Garmin or your truck system) are not GPS systems. They require cell or wifi to interface with Google maps or other. A true GPS will work as long it has power and can "see" satellites.
true but they each perform the same service. you may not be able to see the sats while driving through a heavily forested area while at the same time you have cell service. or no cell service in the boonies but a clear shot of the sky.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Sygic and Co-pilot are one time license apps.

I bought Sygic about 8 years ago and have used it on about 10 different devices over the years at no additional charge.

It is not RV specific and does not announce the name of the upcoming street for maneuvers, but works everywhere without requiring a broadband connection on our Samsung devices.

The maps are updated routinely at no cost.

In Urban areas I prefer Google maps.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfkef View Post
If you use google maps in offline mode cell signal is not required. The devices have gps chip sets.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
If you use google maps in offline mode cell signal is not required. The devices have gps chip sets.
Right, I stand corrected. The maps are updated by cell connection.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:22 AM   #13

Going on my third year using an IPad mini (8” Screen.)as a GPS. I have both Sygic RV and Copilot RV for navigation, though I use Copilot 90% of the time. I also use Back Country Navigator which is topo maps. Note that Sygic RV and Copilot RV have gone to annual subscriptions, both are around $30 a year now.

The IPad mini I’m using is a version 3 which came out in 2015, I picked it up used on eBay in Jan 2017 for about $150 IIRC. It is secured to the dash using a Ram mount. The mini tends to slip down in the mount so I use a thin strip of hobby brass bent into a hook to hold it In place.

Important to know is that all IOS and most Android tablets only have a gps chip in their cellular version not the “WiFi only” versions. WiFi only versions will not work for navigation. You do not need to have a cellular account on the tablet for the navigation apps and the gps to work. You can do your software and map updates via WiFi. To use Google maps I either use my phone or use the IPad through a personal hotspot on my phone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	268508
Old 12-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #14

I use my ipad with an XGPS150 Bluetooth GPS receiver. It allows the gps receiver to set up front in the windshield area for better satellite reception while keeping my ipad within the cab area for better vision. My ipad does not have cell capability.

Tags
gps