Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

GPS Purchase

Looking for some information on purchasing a GPS for my MH. Would appreciate any recommendations or evaluations of newer GPS. I am looking for a large screen and one that is built for the RV applications. I realize that GPS can only be trusted so far and I plan to use it only as a backup to my preplanned routes. I was originally going to use my iPad with software loaded for RVs, but I was told the data charges would be incurred. I am not a techie and don't know all the ins and outs of the cellular world. And how the charges would work or if there is some type of hardware the can be adapted to save your data charges.
PaulE253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Many ways to go, my first choice was the RM 7720 from Camping world. Easy to use and free updates, all RV specific
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: '19 Tahoe, '22 JLU, '17 JKU, IRV3 Brake System
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Have a look at the Garmin RV 760LMT. Garmin is one of the oldest and most respected makers of GPS systems and this very popular model is designed specifically for RVs. The MSRP is $399 but it can be found online for about $320.

It has a large 7" touchscreen display as well as support for voice navigation and it can also be ordered in aversion that supports a wireless backup camera. Free lifetime map and traffic updates are included.

A number of RV-specific services such as RV parks and repair shops are included in its database and by specifying your rigs dimensions and other specifications you can route around potential obstacles.

There is an option to connect to some automated information updates using a data link on your cellular phone but that costs extra. In many urban centers you can also pick up (free of charge) local traffic advisories through a special antenna incorporated in its charge/power cable.

This is my third Garmin GPS - I use them extensively for many years on my motorcycles - but this is by far the best I have found.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:53 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been using Garmins for over ten years and will stick with them. Our RV sports the 760LMT and our cars both have smaller Garmins. No problems except some small routing glitches which you can spot prior to taking to the road.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #5

I will cast a vote for Garmin also. I have the now discontinued 2595 LMT and have had excellent service from it. I like the smaller size as it fits nearly anywhere. I do not look at it when I am driving anyway so a larger screen wouldn't be of much use to me.
I use this in my truck and suv's also.
It sure beats arguing with the wife while she looks at a map and tries to guide me somewhere! LOl
The first download to set up a new GPS takes quite a while and uses a lot of computer bytes. If you have a limit on useage per month on your computer you might want to plan for it.
Lynn
Old 04-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
It sure beats arguing with the wife while she looks at a map and tries to guide me somewhere! LOl
Lynn
The very same problem I had. She was on her lap top when she should have been watching the road and maps and would often exclaim, "Oh, that was our turn back there!"

When I purchased the first one she said I got it just to take that power from her. Yup!!!!
Old 04-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Also have a Garmin 760 and like it. The way they've changed the method of searching for and finding a destination by city really improved it's functionality. Large screed and easy to manager through the options. Also has Bluetooth so you can set it up to interface with most phones for hands free calling.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
The very same problem I had. She was on her lap top when she should have been watching the road and maps and would often exclaim, "Oh, that was our turn back there!"

When I purchased the first one she said I got it just to take that power from her. Yup!!!!
Just tell her, "Honey, I just want you to enjoy the scenery while we are traveling".
It sure makes for more comfortable conversation when you get where you were going. I hate that Look!
The day I told her I was going to paint an arrow on each of her hands with an R on one and an L on the other was the day I decided to start shopping for a GPS. I got the Look!
Lynn
Old 04-02-2016, 02:21 PM   #9

Take a look at the Nuvi 2797. Has the size and all the features of the 760 without the $100 upcharge for the questionable features of the RV nameplate.

I found the 760 to take worse routes in RV mode than car mode. Since you have to check the routing 100% with any of the units, I did not see the value in the RV760.

Also note neither of the mentioned units are Garmin current builds.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also note that for our cars I buy Garmins from Wally World online and they are refurbished. I get them half price and have not had one problem with them over several years.

Course you're not getting the most current units.

Tags
gps, purchase