Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
any body out there have any experience with gps systems. I am looking to buy one , I have a laptop computer and would like to use it with the computer
edggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
any body out there have any experience with gps systems. I am looking to buy one , I have a laptop computer and would like to use it with the computer
Old 07-17-2005, 02:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have been using the DeLorme GPS with Street Atlas 2003 for the past three years. For the cost it has been great. It is two way voice activated and you will want to get a headset too. There are others out there but I am not as familiar with them.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 03:33 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a Garmin GPS with Delorme's Sreet Atlas and been happy with it.

I recently helped a friend get set up with GPS and found that the package deal for Delorme's Street Atlas and Earthmate GPS unit was the cheapest way to go. Well, let me qualify that a little. It was the cheapest way I found at the time. You might do better on Ebay or something like that.
The GPS comes with the software in the package deal.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:27 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have been using the Microsoft Streets & Trips software for a few years now. Last year they came out with their own GPS that is purchased together with the software. The GPS is only used with this software. One of the main features was the inexpensive cost for the whole package and if you upgrade annually, the software alone is really cheap about $50US. It is not that accurate in Mexico. We love it and do not leave home with out it. I have not had any experience with other systems at all. Glad to answer and other questions you have on this system if this interests you at all.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">DeLorme </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We have been using DeLorme's stuff for years, I think we pretty much update every year and just gave the old reciever to son in law and got us the new one (seems to work better and is much smaller) Their system works well enough for us.
03 Dodge 3500 HO Quad LB DRW 48re 4.10 BD Xmonitor gauges Rickson 19.5 x 6.75 Polished Forged Aluminum Wheels Classic Round Hole Michelin XDE-MS 245/70R19.5 H 06 Mobile Suites tk3 #3151
1Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #7

I have a navigation system built in to my stereo,but still like to use my MS streets and trip with a gps antenna on the dash.I like the big size of my laptop and being able to watch in real time where I am going.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:58 AM   #8

I haved thed Delorme with Street Atlas 2005 and I'm completly happy with it. Check pricing on ebay for lowest price.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank to all for their advice on the GPS, I guess the consensus is the Delorme system thanks again
Old 07-23-2005, 09:11 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edggy:
I guess the consensus is the Delorme system thanks again </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not for Canada.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Why not for Canada
Old 07-24-2005, 03:36 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edggy:
Why not for Canada </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's only been very recently that Delorme has included any kind of Canadian coverage. Although I've never used Delorme maps, I've heard that their Canadian coverage isn't all that detailed. It still only covers a few major urban areas; and tiny obscure hamlets like Edmonton are represented by a mere dot on the map. (Maybe some Delorme users here can confirm this).

S&T data for Canada is amazingly complete; and has been for years! Edmonton, for instance, is detailed right down to the street number for every address in the city, shopping mall, grocery store, campground, etc.

The only places S&T doesn't supply all the street names, are in tiny isolated rural one or two street communities in places like northern Quebec and some outlying areas of the Maritimes.

In the last couple years, we've travelled about 30,000 km back and forth across Canada with S&T. Other than for one or two isolated glitches in the data, we couldn't be more pleased with it's performance; both on it's own, or with the GPS package.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 05:35 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Stan
I used returned from a 30,000klm trip that took us 8 months. We used MS- Streets & trips every day and love it. Do you get the automotive dealers locations when you search for Landmarks? If S&T had voice prompts it would be almost perfect. We made up a S&T whish list we were going to send into MS, but they do not seem too interested in our opinion.
It is not too accurate in Mexico as the GPS does not show position accurately and some streets are not shown, but it is far better than reading a map for sure.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:33 AM   #14

Watch out for Streets and Trips 2005. They have replaced the ability to specify your desired speed in MPH on various types of road with a specification of 'slow' to 'fast' which is of little use. Makes it real difficult to figure out where to stop for the night...