Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ham radio hobby

As of late I have been sniffing around for a new hobby. Time and age have made some of my previous hobbies no longer practical so I am looking at Ham radio at the moment. Anyone here have any experience with Ham radio?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Lots of post from Hams here

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f55/

73s N5DFN
Old 10-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Great hobby get your license and join us

KM4GLI
Old 10-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #4

One my favorite RV stories ws when I lost an oil pump in my Dodge van DIY conversion.
E of Winnepeg on way back from AK. Hitched into town to get a tow (long before cell phones) first truck / TT by stopped and picked me up and was a ham radio oper.
Long story short version Tow truck backed us into the camp site next to him in the next town and he proceded to find local folks that loaned us tools..
And directed us to many salvage places before we found parts. Removed & replaced w/o removing trans engine or pan (had to cut the pan and fiberglass it over)
Local folks had us over for dinner (I supplied refreshments) and we were back on our way 36 hrs after stopping on the hiway.
They are truley the "Friendly Manitobans"
The ham radio was the key to success! My lucky day but I have always admired the willingness to jump in and assist those in need.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:58 PM   #5

Ham radio is a good hobby and great people.

Brandi W6FPT
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:05 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzbrandi View Post
Ham radio is a good hobby and great people.

Brandi W6FPT
Agree!

Vince
W6CD
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:47 AM   #7

George,

Check out ARRL.com and look into a local ham club. You can find one here:

Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs

Hams are even more friendly than the folks here on iRV2 if such a thing is possible.

Most clubs offer license courses and exams. You do not need to travel to the FCC offices any more and the all code requirements have been dropped.

I have a 100 watt rig sitting on the counter in front of me in my motorhome as I type.

Hope to hear you on the air soon

- Jerry (N40MF)

P.S. My wife also has her license ( KM4TFX)
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:02 AM   #8

Been a ham for about three years.
Found a bunch of very friendly people at local club.

Just about anything communications related can be found in ham radio.

Talked to many hams on trip from Michigan to Maine a week ago.
One ham was on top of Mt Washington with a 4 watt handheld.

Talked to three hams while on trip from Michigan to Kentucky to see the eclipse.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #9

Like the others have said - go for it. I've also had my ticket for just over three years. I did it originally to support emergency communications but have gotten involved in other aspects of the hobby. After a year, I upgraded to general to broaden the frequencies I could use.

As said, the local radio club is a great resource to grow your experience and have fun with other hams. I'm now an officer and help facilitate our technicians class. I have a complete mobile rig in my small trailer as well as a mobile in my truck. I volunteer with the club in many local runs, rides, parades and other events to gain communications experience.

Have fun
W7DAF
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great hobby for RVing and a great activity with many facets and sub hobbies.

Have talked to thousand of other hams and dozens of countries with a simple set up in my MH. (parked, of course)

Great when the weather is bad and you are stuck indoors.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #11

I suggest you contact a local club. There is one right where you live. Their web site is www.ucara.org . They will have a meeting tomorrow evening if you can make it there. The information is on their web page. Someone may have a license manual for you to study also. Lots of activities for many special interests in the hobby. My 2 sons, DIL and BIL are also licensed hams. Join the group.

I've been in the hobby for over 25 years now and still learning. I am a volunteer VE license examiner, assist with license classes, also belong to ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) and am a volunteer radio operator at a local hospital (by the way hospitals are now required to have ham radio equipment installed).

Marv
KT4W
Old 10-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've used amateur radio for everything from fighting boredom to learning something new to getting exercise to getting emergency help where cell phones don't work to getting a message to my family so they knew I was ok on a backpacking trip (no one else in my family has they amateur license, but the website APRS.fi doesn't require a license just to browse).

It's amazing how much one person could do with this hobby of they really explored it all.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
As of late I have been sniffing around for a new hobby. Time and age have made some of my previous hobbies no longer practical so I am looking at Ham radio at the moment. Anyone here have any experience with Ham radio?
I first got my ham license in the early 1970's but a new family/job, etc. got in the way and I didn't last long. About two years ago, retired now, I got back in am now a General. There is a lot new since 45 years ago. I love it.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgelesley View Post
I've been a licensed ham since 2000. Been involved with my local club and local county emergency management agency for years. Recently, I've found myself busy with work, and back out of the club. But I still monitor, and am on the radio.
Kd7ptn..
kd7ptn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio